ab exercises

Options
I was just wondering if anyone knows the best ab exercises? I always thought it was crunches but then I've read they don't really work. I'm so confused. help?

Replies

• KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels 6week 6pack and it is GREAT!!!! In the first week I saw definition in my waist. I am in the last two weeks of the program and I still love the great butt kickin lol.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    http://www.my-health-n-fitness.com/230/lower-abdominal-exercises

Crunches are just one exercise of one group of abdonimal muscles. To get a good ab workout, you must exercise ALL abdominal muscles.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    my trainer has me doing a series of abs excersices and yes crunches are one of them.

- Superman for 30 sec
    - 6 inch hold for 30 sec
    - 6 inche hold & feet fluttering for 30 sec
    - knee crossed over other knee and crunch for 25
    - plank holds for 30 sec

Sets of 3, repetition of 3. You'll be drenched by the time your done & sore the next day :)
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You need to work the whole CORE area...You can't just target just ABS.

You will need Cardio & Strength Trainin'...

It will take time for the layer of fat to come off your Ab area - and the muscle of the abs will come out. Once they do - you are goin' to LOOOOOOVE them... :laugh:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I use P90X's AB Ripper DVD. :happy:

See something under that flab but I need to continue to burn the fat away to get them abs to shine through.

edit: and planks...
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Plank and side plank are personal favorites. As you get stronger, you can increase the time that you hold the position and there are lots of variations.

If you want a short ab workout, the Jackie Warner Workout video (the 1st one, not the circuit one) has a good 20-minute section that's just abs, but it's really, really hard! So be warned....
  • lilbee2011
    Options
    Doing JUST crunches doesn't work because it's just working on one area of your tummy. Try mixing it up a little all over your tummy/core area, and it works better for me if I focus on keeping my "core pulled in", something I got from yoga.... it pretty much means keep your tummy as tight as you can while your doing the exercises, and keeping your back straight (like keeping good posture). Here's a link that I found that has some core work outs (core just means all of your torso, and will help to vary the areas you're working on), hope it helps!!

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/bestabexercises/a/all_abs.htm
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/cardio/abs-7996

Awesome 10-minute ab/core workout. If it's too easy for you, the same trainer has a 20-minute one on the same site.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    BOSU! It's fun and a great ab workout.
  • lhuber1105
    lhuber1105 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bumping--i need help in this area too!!
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I do 1-2 minute planks, the p90x ab ripper, and turbo fire abs 10, and some other I don't remember the name. I combine them, so I do not get too much used to any.
    They all kick my *kitten*...