Which would you pick..higher calories or higher sodium?

Options
I was at the store today and went to pick up some pepperoni because my son wants to make pizza. I looked at the turkey pepperoni and the regular pepperoni.
The turkey pepperoni has 70 calories, 35 from fat, and 640mg of sodium per serving
The regular pepperoni has 140 calories, 120 from fat, and 490 mg of sodium per serving.

A serving was like 17 pieces so I doubt I would be eating a whole serving myself.

I know there is a lot of talk about sodium, as well as calories, so I thought I would ask which one you would pick.

Replies

• justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the regular but that is based mainly on what I think tastes better.
  • jms023
    jms023 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    In this case, I would pick the lower calorie version because the calorie difference between the two is double, while the sodium difference is only 150 mg. Also, I guess you should consider what you have a problem with more--staying under calories or staying under sodium? If eating low sodium is really a challenge for you, maybe you should pick the low sodium. Otherwise, I think the lower calorie is the better choice.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    here you are putting fat and sodium head to head with this example. Usually i would try to do lower sodium, but trading that for processed fats has me a little perplexed. Guess that's why i go for veggies on my pizza now. of the two i would guess lower fat because with enough water you can off set the sodium in a day or two.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would almost always go with higher calories over higher sodium. It's easy to adjust calories here and there to avoid going too far over your goal, but staying within the sodium limit can be difficult. And I know that with my body, going over on sodium means gaining a few pounds of water weight, no matter how much water I drink to try to combat it. So I avoid that frustration as much as possible!
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Very good question. There are many days that I struggle getting enough calories and struggle with the sodium issue, so I think I would go with the higher calorie option. I am interested to see what others have to say.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    id go for lower calorie for sure.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight but have low-normal blood pressure. So I'd go for the lower calories, if it was just for me. My husband has had high blood pressure, so I'd pick the lower sodium option if it was for both of us (and just eat less of it at a sitting). How's your blood pressure?
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Very good question. There are many days that I struggle getting enough calories and struggle with the sodium issue, so I think I would go with the higher calorie option. I am interested to see what others have to say.

I agree! I have a hard time getting enough calories most days and have had a hard time getting my sodium intake under control. So personally I would go with the higher calorie option.
  • cmor2005
    cmor2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would do higher calories and lower sodium. The calories can be burned off and adjusted (as said before). But with sodium, your body can retain it and that's where water weight comes from.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure but got the higher sodium, I was in a hurry and didn't think it all the way through. When I got home I realized I should have got the other. I said something to a friend about turkey not always being the best choice but was "informed" I should always go with the low cal/high sodium choice. They didn't seem to understand that sodium needs to be watched also.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lower calories. I am not watching sodium and am not a believer than sodium will hinder your weight loss.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Neither....not a fan of pepperoni! :indifferent: In most things I go for taste. If it has more calories I just eat less of it, if it has more sodium (not an issue for me) I drink more water.