New and need help

4angels
4angels Posts: 7
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
I am in a wheel chair pa rt time due to Multiple Sclerosis. I really want to get this weight off but I have lost alot of my motivation. Getting the weight off could mean less time in the wheel chair. I am already dieting but I have little strength in my legs so I don't know how to go about the exercise. I am open to ideas for exercise and motivation.:sad:

Replies

• I am in a wheel chair pa rt time due to Multiple Sclerosis. I really want to get this weight off but I have lost alot of my motivation. Getting the weight off could mean less time in the wheel chair. I am already dieting but I have little strength in my legs so I don't know how to go about the exercise. I am open to ideas for exercise and motivation.:sad:
  • Hi Angel, I just joined mfp a few hours ago, and I have a feeling you have come to the right place. After only several hours on here I have been warmly welcomed by some very friendly motivating people. It makes you feel good to know your not the only one out there who struggles on a daily basis, My 33 year old son was diagnosed last year with MS. He is coming very close to being wheelchair bound as well. His doctors have advised him to keep exercizing his upper body, he uses small weights a fitness ball and does resistance training, He is determined to keep moving as much as he can. His weight is good but he puts that down to doing all the movement he can with his arms and upper body.This disease is such a challenge, and as a mother It is also heartbreaking to see the changes that are taking place. I do have some knowledge to what your up against. and may I tell you I wish you all the very best in your journey with your weight loss and exercize, Take one day at a time, and think and stay positive,
    Marnie
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    There are a lot of chair exercises you can do to work your upper body with weights & resistance bands. Try googling for them & I'm sure you'll find a ton.

Best of luck with everything! I'm sure there's more people on here that will a bigger help than me. These folks are great!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Don't give up yet! It's the worst timing to stop working when you know you still have work to do. :flowerforyou:

You should look into an upper body cycle. It rests on a table and you use your arms rather than legs to spin the flywheel. It is tough! Your legs are made of large muscle groups, but the arm muscles are quite small, so they have to work hard to pump the cycle. You can really get your heart rate elevated.

You could use that as your primary calorie-burner so you can eat a comfortable amount of calories and maintain a deficit. As the others have pointed out, you can still perform upper-body resistance training. Do you work with a PT at all?
  • Thanks to all for the ideas. I am very interested in the upper body cycle. Do you know where you can get them?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I googled it...nextag had a bunch of them :

http://www.nextag.com/upper-body-cycle/search-html

Don't be frightened off by the really pricey ones, those are for labs and such. There are some as low as $30. :smile:
  • Marnie
    Thank you so much for you lovely reply. I have had this crazy disease for 14 years and I am just now starting to have trouble. I take one day at a time but sometimes it is so disheartening because I can't do the things I used to do and now this weight. I have put on 40 lbs in the last year and a half. I hope your son does well. Multiple Sclerosis Association of America is a wonderful assosiation for people with MS. Have your son or yourself check it out WWW.MSAA.com.:flowerforyou:
    Robin
  • Thanks I'll look at the web site. I sure appreciate all the help.
    103394.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Thanks I'll look at the web site. I sure appreciate all the help.
    103394.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Why dont you try swimming. It's a low impact exercise and you could use a floataton device while you build up strength. I really think this would help you lose some more weight! Good Luck
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    I agree with the swimming idea because it's a total body workout.
This discussion has been closed.