Fish Tacos

Options
tammyquinnlmt
tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
OK, I'm on a quest to create the perfect fish taco. suggestions?

Replies

• MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump! Would love to know the answer! lol
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    white fish whether salt water or fresh water. Grouper, walleye, northren pike, cod, halibut. Home made Pico spiced to your taste buds. Lettuce, cheese, grilled onions and other veggies that you like. Grill the fish to a where meat almost falls apart. Oh my tastes buds are craving now.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    white fish whether salt water or fresh water. Grouper, walleye, northren pike, cod, halibut. Home made Pico spiced to your taste buds. Lettuce, cheese, grilled onions and other veggies that you like. Grill the fish to a where meat almost falls apart. Oh my tastes buds are craving now.

sounds delish!
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! What do you suggest for the tortilla? Corn vs. flour?
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    Sounds yummy! What do you suggest for the tortilla? Corn vs. flour?

Personal choice is usually corn tortillas :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Corn Tortillas are the more traditional tortillas, Cabbage instead of lettuce. I'm still looking around for a more nutritious recipe for crema. Mmmmmm. now you got me thinking about fish tacos and beer....
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Tacos

Shredded rotisserie chicken or flaked, cooked fish also works well in these tacos.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 tacos)

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons black peppercorns
    3 quarts water
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2 limes, quartered
    1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño pepper
    12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    3/4 cup chopped peeled tomato
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    Preparation
    Place the peppercorns on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together, and tie securely. Combine cheesecloth bag, water, salt, red pepper, and lime quarters in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until done. Drain. Discard cheesecloth bag and lime quarters.

Combine shrimp, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeño pepper, tossing well to coat. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/3 cup shrimp mixture into each tortilla; top each taco with 1 tablespoon tomato, 2 teaspoons sour cream, and 2 teaspoons onions.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    358 (20% from fat)
    Fat:
    7.8g (sat 3g,mono 0.8g,poly 1.7g)
    Protein:
    29.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    43.6g
    Fiber:
    5.1g
    Cholesterol:
    188mg
    Iron:
    4.1mg
    Sodium:
    612mg
    Calcium:
    250mg
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema

Cumin, coriander, and paprika lend these fish tacos a delightfully warm, smoky flavor. They're the perfect foundation for the zippy sour cream sauce. For an appealing variation, substitute peeled medium shrimp for the snapper or romaine in place of cabbage.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)

Ingredients
    Crema:
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    1 teaspoon grated lime rind
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Tacos:
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 pounds red snapper fillets
    Cooking spray
    8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    2 cups shredded cabbage
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 425°.

To prepare crema, combine the first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

To prepare tacos, combine cumin and next 5 ingredients (through garlic powder) in a small bowl; sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place fish in a bowl; break into pieces with a fork. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top each with 1/4 cup cabbage and 1 tablespoon crema.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    394 (14% from fat)
    Fat:
    6.3g (sat 1.5g,mono 1.5g,poly 1.5g)
    Protein:
    40.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    40.1g
    Fiber:
    5.5g
    Cholesterol:
    70mg
    Iron:
    3.5mg
    Sodium:
    857mg
    Calcium:
    233mg
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    DHalaby...sounds amazing :)
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    ooo awesome recipes!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    These all sound wonderful....can't wait to get cooking :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    What spices do you folks use on the fish ? Do you use a rub, marinade or just plain ol' fish? Also, grilling fish can be quite tricky. Do you guys grill on the stove top, broil, or use foil ? Thanks for the tips!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Bump. Definitely gotta try this....
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    bump!! thanks for the recipes!!
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    These aren't really low calorie, but they sure are good!

Corn tortillas
    Gortmans Crunchy Battered Fish filets
    Salsa (I like homemde)
    Dole Slaw Mix

Avocado "sauce"
    1 avocado mixed with about 1/4 cup greek yogurt or sour cream , cilantro, juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, and a little salt

We do have these about once a month, but be warned, they are addictive and it is easy to over eat them. We have tried doing grilled fish, but it's just not the same.
  • NickiStone
    NickiStone Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just made these the other night after I found Paula Deen's healthiest recipe. :) My family is not much on Lettuce wraps so I altered the original to include Taco Shells and skipped on the red onion to added Green Bell instead. YUMMY!

Mango - 1 whole
    Tomato - 1 whole
    Half of a raw Jalapeno
    Half a Green Bell Pepper and/or red Onion
    Realime (100% Lime Juice) 3 tsp
    Mahi Mahi - 16 oz
    Morton - Nature's Seasons-Seasoning Blend-No Msg
    Pepper
    Olive oil - 1.5 tbsp
    Taco Shells - 12
    Dole Spring Mix Salad (Bagged) - 1.5 cups

Dice and mix the Mango, Tomato, Jalepeno, Bell pepper/Onion. Add lime and cilantro.

Season Mahi with Morton's Nature Seasoning and Pepper. Add Olive oil to the pan and heat until hot.
    Add fish and cook until center is opaque. Once fish has cooled a bit chop the fish into large chunks.
    Assemble Taco with Fish, Mango Salsa, and Lettuce.

So you could substitute the Taco Shells for Butter or Romaine Lettuce leaves then you would be following Paula's "Mahi Mahi Lettuce Wraps" recipe.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    wow, Keep them coming, guys. I will have to print all of them and try them!
  • juliectr
    juliectr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Use panko breadcrumbs (they also come in wheat) and bake depending on thickness. use packaged coleslaw cabbage and yogurt or light sour cream white sauce of choice with lime juice squeezed on top. I also like corn tortilla's. Very low in calories! But they way they are usually prepared (just warmed) is so tasteless.They taste un-cooked...which they are. Spray each side of tortilla with "Pam" and " fry" before filling. It makes a HUGE difference in the taste, plus they will be more bendable.
  • juliectr
    juliectr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot! Also, make a pineapple or mango salsa to go with them.
    I cut up some fresh pineapple (or use canned) and add jalapeños red onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Yummy! You can do the same with mango in place of the pineapple. It's such a fresh taste. Good on grilled fish and chicken too.
  • rocky03
    rocky03 Posts: 55
    Options
    bump :smile: