Running distance reduce butt size? Anyone with results?

Options
I realize that squats, lunges, sprinting can sometimes make your butt more muscular. I am not looking for that.

I want to know if anyone in here had any good results from running and losing your butt?

How much did you run (distance) and how often per week? When did you start seeing the difference between sizes? etc.

Thank you!!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's caloric deficit that is gonna make you lose fat, which is going to make your but smaller.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me, running 3-4 miles 5 days a week helped me see results in about 4 weeks. 20-30 mins on the arc trainer (cross trainer) helps too! lunges and quats with light weights will help tone the muscle underneath making fat burn easier!!
  • greent17
    greent17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had no results with running alone. I wish there was a magical way to get rid of butt fat but its the hardest and last thing to go for me. I can be skin and bones everywhere else and still have my big butt.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I run a lot. And I use an elliptical machine. I also do yoga and pilates. But in the summer, I run more than anything else (I do an average of 6 miles of intervals a day)- and my bum and my thighs are still where my weight clings. When I run more and I start to lose weight faster, it still comes off of the top of my body first. You cannot spot reduce. Everyone's body is different, and you can't change where your body holds more weight. Of course as I lose the booty does eventually get smaller, but porportionally, it's always gonna be the biggest part of me :(
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I realize that squats, lunges, sprinting can sometimes make your butt more muscular. I am not looking for that.

I want to know if anyone in here had any good results from running and losing your butt?

How much did you run (distance) and how often per week? When did you start seeing the difference between sizes? etc.

Thank you!!

You can't spot lose or reduce fat. Your body decides where and how to distribute the amount of fat you have. Squats and lunges will tone and strengthen these muscles. It will simply do it without pushing your heart rate up like a cardio workout. Building muscle will increase your overall ability to burn/use calories in the long term but won't give you a high calorie burn per workout.

Sprints are like any normal cardio- high heart rate, high caloric burn.

Running distance is a great exercise- it strengthens your heart and lungs as well as pushing your legs and even engages your abs and back. It also will give you a bigger caloric burn per workout.

But bmontgomery is right, what you need to do to get less butt is to get less you. Keep your workout routine balanced- some cardio, some strength and toning (if you are afraid of "too much" toning try a solid pilates or yoga workout). Try to meet your calorie goals- this means staying under your calories burned per day but also making sure you get enough calories to fuel your workout. NET calories at 1300 or so and you will see results.
  • Vikings4
    Vikings4 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I do realize you can't spot reduce. I only have 5 more lbs to lose-- which makes a total of 15 lbs all together. I have been eating pretty well, and I do mix up my workouts as well. I do crossfit. I definitely have a more muscular bottom half. Always have. I 'd say it is pretty toned right now. I am just thinking to maybe incorporate some semi long runs 3-5 mile, no intervals-- to see if I get some better results related to the butt area.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Most of the runners I know have rather big butts, and small waist and boobs. I am the opposite, though!
  • Vikings4
    Vikings4 Posts: 14
    Options
    That is exactly like me. I was a sprinter and long jumper in high school & college.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Vikings4 wrote: »
    Wait... you don't want a muscular butt? I want a nice muscle butt when I run. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Vikings4 wrote: »

Running strengthens the glutes, and hill running or sprints can support some size increase, although negligible compared to what structured resistance training will bring.

Losing the fat around the area will help to expose the muscle, so giving a firmer appearance. But you can't pick where the losses come from.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Running steady-state on a treadmill is the best way to lose muscle in your butt. No sprinting, no incline. A treadmill doesn't engage your glutes or hamstrings, instead it pushes your legs back. Running in this manner regularly, I'd guess you'd see results in a few months.

Of course, losing muscle on your lower half is not going to reduce the bulk as much as losing fat will. IMHO a muscular lower half is preferable to a pancake butt. But to each their own.

Good luck.

Edit: Aaaannd I just realized this thread is from 2011. Shame on me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Of course, losing muscle on your lower half is not going to reduce the bulk as much as losing fat will. IMHO a muscular lower half is preferable to a pancake butt.

Also intentionally training in a way to develop muscle imbalance is a certain route to injury...