Zumba

Options
Anyone do zumba here? Does anyone know around how many calories one burns in a 60 min class? I love zumba and go often I just want to try and track it close enough :)

Replies

• jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    I just did a Zumba class the other day and burned 575 calories - I have a HRM...so its pretty spot on!
    Gotta love those classes!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I always do Zumba, & depending on the effort exerted I have burned between 500-800 calories. I do have a Heart rate monitor, so I know how many calories I burn.

Hope you enjoy it, it's one of my fav cardio workouts.

:wink:
  • TheNewMe28
    Options
    I ordered the at home kit for zumba and I have just started it. I am not sure how many calories it burns but I would think maybe it could be considered aerobics. Some people have told me to get a heart rate monitor and it will track exactly how many calories you have burned.
  • Lex401
    Lex401 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I heard 500-800 calories depending on the workout :smile:
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It depends how much effort you put in it could vary also depending on your height and weigh. I'm 5 feet and weigh 169lbs and I burn about 600 calories.
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's suggested that zumba can burn between 500 - 800 calories per 60 minute workout but that would depend on the effort you put in!

I log mine at 485 calories but wearing a HRM would be your best bet to log it accurately.

Hope that helps a little bit :)
  • deecloutier
    Options
    I've never done zumba.. is it fun? what is it? Dancing?
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    it really depends on your instructor and your weight/height.
    some classes i only burn about 400 and others i'm closer to 700

before i had an HRM, i logged it under high impact aerobic. When I went back to compare my burn later w/ my HRM, I noticed that it was an underestimate. so i'd go w/ that.

have fun!
  • TheNewMe28
    Options
    @deecloutier.................It's working out through Latin dance steps. It is great and the music keeps you motivated. I love it. You can go to classes or you can order the DVD set and do it in your home. I am doing it in my home now to get the feel for it and then I am going to start going to classes with live instructors at my local gym.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I agree with ginny and also it depends on how good you get into it if you really get into the moves its more calories than when you dont.
  • tcsteeves
    tcsteeves Posts: 59
    Options
    I ordered the at home kit for zumba and I have just started it. I am not sure how many calories it burns but I would think maybe it could be considered aerobics. Some people have told me to get a heart rate monitor and it will track exactly how many calories you have burned.

I'm in the same boat as you and I list it on here as aerobic high impact because the calories burned on that seemed more accurate then it did when I was putting Dancing, aerobic, twist. I plan on getting a heart monitor hopefully soon so I know just exactly how many calories I burn.
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i also log it as high impact aerobics! i love my zumba class <3
  • KarlaColvin
    Options
    Awesome thank you! I will definitely get a HRM. I usually track it under aerobics but I want to know what im really burning lol!
  • KarlaColvin
    Options
    Awesome thank you! I will definitely get a HRM. I usually track it under aerobics but I want to know what im really burning lol!
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 500-600. I don't do the cool down though, I do my own cool down. So sometimes I burn around 500 in about 45 minutes.....all tracked by my HRM. I have been loving Zumba!!
  • Lex401
    Lex401 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just did a Zumba class the other day and burned 575 calories - I have a HRM...so its pretty spot on!
    Gotta love those classes!

What HRM do u recommend best ?
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options

I LOVE my polar 6. i got a v. good deal on it on ebay brand new. check there :)