Do you use a recovery day when exercising?

Options
JPod279
JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
How many people give a day or two off each week to let the body recover? Just getting back into eliptical work my legs feel dead and I am thinking of taking a day off, but I hate to lose the momentum I have. I have been increasing my cardio each day and feel like if I just plow through this I will get my legs back under me in a couple of days.

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Most people do take a rest day. I know a lot of runners that won't run two consecutive days. I personally, do not take a rest day right now. I take an 'easy' day, as I am too antsy to sit still. So instead of a hard, long run, I do an easy short one, or just walk.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I only take rest days if I'm sore, but then again, at least one of my days exercise is low impact (like pilates).
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have to take a day or two off. If I don't my body starts to let me know it's tired and needs a break. I always come back with more energy and endurance after a break.
  • hotelsierra
    Options
    I normally workout 6-9 hours a week- with 2 rest days-
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do a "rest" day. If i have too much homework, or am busy, Thursdays are my "rest" days. If I don't have a lot of homework/am not busy, I go work out but do it lightly.

Thursdays I have class 2 - 8:45 non stop, if that explains why it's a really random day for me to pick lol.
  • riamac
    riamac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity and you do get 1 day off a week and believe me, I need that day. This is my second try at Insanity. The first time I only did it for two weeks. I just started week 2 yesterday and am feeling really good about it.

Feel free to friend me.

Maria
  • anner2006
    Options
    I usually incorporate one rest day a week. Rest days are key for your body to recover and muscles to repair themselves. It is also ok to have active recovery days like Flyntiggr referred to (something easy). I struggle with taking rest days though myself, but since my triathlon coach told me to take rest days, I take rest days. I also alternate workouts - Run Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Swim either Monday or Friday (sometimes both). Bike Wednesday and Saturday. So where's the rest day? It all depends on my week and how my body is feeling.

Good luck! Your body will feel a lot better after a rest day.
  • Lizzybugz
    Lizzybugz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It is important, I think to incorporate rest days or lower intensity days so I normally work out and do cardio and then some yoga or pilates or ride on my off day. =) Sometimes your muscles just need a break. =)
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I usually take a rest day on Sunday's after church or Mondays, then back at it Tuesday - Saturday!!!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I take weekends off. I need that time to physically and mentally recharge my batteries. I think that has been key for me to stick with a workout routine for just over a year now. Before I would work out every day for a few months, which just resulted in me getting burned out and ditching the routine.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I let parts of my body recover. Theoretically, Sunday is my "rest day". But I never take it.

That said... I rarely do strength work two days in a row, and when I do I'm focusing on different parts of the body (core yesterday, arms today, legs tomorrow). Though this weekend I did screw up and did arm work on Saturday not thinking about the fact that I had to move rocks in the garden on Sunday... I'm now taking several days off from upper body work to recover, but am still working other muscles and doing cardio.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I take days off now as the thinner I get the harder my workouts have become so I now give my body time to recover especially my legs. Seems like my cardio workouts really put a strain on my knees and thighs to the point where my muscles are so tight the next day I can barely walk.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I decided to plow through it and did 25 minutes of eliptical at lunch. I'll see if I feel like (or have time) to do another round tonight. I may take Friday off. I have a luncheon so I won't be able to go at lunch, which is what I try to do every day right now.