Are Green Tea Fat Burners Safe?

Options
So my Mom got this sample of Green Tea Fat Burning gel tablets. It says that they have "maximum strength EGCG" inside of them along things like green tea, caffeine, ginseng, and random fruit powders (IDK what that a fruit powder is though). Anyone know anything regarding the safety of this product? My Mom took it to her last doctors appointment and he said that it was safe for a short period of time as a way to naturally boost your metabolism. I am skeptical... I'm a person who is paranoid about medication in general--let alone a "diet pill".

Any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone in advance and good luck reaching your goals today!

Replies

• AmandaArnwine
    Options
    Just drink a Cup of green tea a day .. Don't take pills :-)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Snake oil in my opinion. The bio availability of that compound is usually very poor. Now, antioxidant wise, a different story and probably much cheaper alternatives like just drinking tea or using green tea powder.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/6/1558.full
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I agree, just drink green tea, don't take the pills. You need more than one cup of tea a day though, more like 3-4 if you want it to make any difference at all. I drink a green tea in the morning, and a huge cup in the afternoon. I don't know if it works or not, LOL but it's not hurting me so I just keep it up.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I take 2 spring valley green tea extract 150 mg a day. They aren't the kind with hodia and all that other diet stuff in them. I take them bc I can't stand the taste of green tea. Green tea is really good for you so if you can tolerate the taste of it drink it if not then get the non diet pill natural supplements.
  • iitsolivia
    Options
    Lipton has a diet green tea that is mixed berry flavor, and I love it. Ive tried all types of green tea, and this is the only kinda I like so far!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Lipton has a diet green tea that is mixed berry flavor, and I love it. Ive tried all types of green tea, and this is the only kinda I like so far!

I've had that and it's very good!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've used the Mega-T Fat Burner supplement for quite a while, mostly because I hate the taste of green tea or any tea for that matter. It has a small amount of caffeine in it.

I don't know if it is really considered safe, but it seems to be pretty benign.

Now, does it work? Who knows. I have lost weight while using it and still take one when I feel really starving. I think it helps me feel less hungry. Just a crutch, really, but lots better than smoking :laugh: