What kind of scale do you have???

Options
Thinking about getting a different scale..what kind (BRAND NAME!) does everybody have. I know there are some high-tech ones out there with body fat % and whatnot...is this helpful? Should I get digital or the old fashion dial kind?? Which is more accurate? Thanks for any and all help!

Replies

• imdawn
    imdawn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thinking about getting a different scale..what kind (BRAND NAME!) does everybody have. I know there are some high-tech ones out there with body fat % and whatnot...is this helpful? Should I get digital or the old fashion dial kind?? Which is more accurate? Thanks for any and all help!
  • msblondy16
    Options
    Ikea. Dial. I am convinced it was made by skinny gremlins who would never need a scale...
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    one like a Dr's office only shorter, a balance/beamscale. It still lies just like the others (not really, it just doesn't tell the truth I want to hear....teehee). It actually is quite accurate. Has an adjustment for when you move it etc. I think most anything would work as long as you don't start obsessing which is WAY to easy to do.

There's a very large club of us MFP'rs who have periodically sworn (at?) to give up using our scales for an hour/day/week/month etc.

A tape measure and your clothes are a better, less frustrating measure....but .....but...but....I wanna see my ticker move!!!!!!

So, not much help I'm sure.....
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i like my digital, i also have the body fat % thing on there, but i never really pay that much attention to it.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    A dusty one! :laugh:

Even prior to being pregnant I tried to stay away from the scale because I think there is too much emphasis put on numbers when trying to become thinner. My advise? Get a basic digital scale (with a lithium battery) that only tells weight and a measure tape.

The scale I have is a brand called "Thinner" (I got it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond)... the only thing it does it tell you your weight. I think the real numbers that you should look at are on the measure tape.

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • imdawn
    Options
    I only got a couple responses, but I see a lot more people have tickers???
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that I got at Target that just shows your weight. I don't remember what the brand name is.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread imdawn! Ive been looking to buy a new scale too, and was just yesterday looking at all the different types. Jeeeeesh!! Who new a scale could be so complex?:ohwell:

Anyway, after all the online "researching" I did yesterday, I agree that just a basic digital scale will do just fine:smile:

~Roni
  • amyalwaysonline6
    Options
    Mine is curves, I got it through Avon. It tells me way too much, weight, body fat, water percent, calories.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    one like a Dr's office only shorter, a balance/beamscale. It still lies just like the others (not really, it just doesn't tell the truth I want to hear....teehee). It actually is quite accurate. Has an adjustment for when you move it etc. I think most anything would work as long as you don't start obsessing which is WAY to easy to do.

There's a very large club of us MFP'rs who have periodically sworn (at?) to give up using our scales for an hour/day/week/month etc.

A tape measure and your clothes are a better, less frustrating measure....but .....but...but....I wanna see my ticker move!!!!!!

So, not much help I'm sure.....

:grumble: :grumble: please dont talk about me behind my back:grumble: :grumble:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I bought a $35 digital at target-dont remember the name and we are not on speaking terms at the moment.:angry:

The real trick is to ONLY use your scale, and at the same time ever day you weigh. If it is every day (:grumble: :grumble: ) then Am after potty,

You will drive yourself crazy if you weigh at home, then the grocery store, then the gym, then the doctors office. They are all calibrated differently and will flucuate 10 pounds sometimes.

I threw myself in front of a moving buggy at the grocery store once when the 5 foot wide dial went to 168 and I had just lost 10 pounds!! That would have put be right back where I started!

So I think the best advise is to buy a middle of the road digital scale, and only use it....even when it is the devil:devil:

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers one that is digital and tells you to the 1/2 pound. It has helped tremendously NOT to use it daily, only weekly (thank you arewethereyet!!!). :smile:
  • nytoaz
    nytoaz Posts: 143
    Options
    I have a Tanika scale that also gives a body fat percentage. The weight is very accurate (matches my doctor's scale), but I don't know how accurate the body fat percentage is. I've had this scale for years and am very happy with it. Although I'm a scale addict (I weigh myself twice a day :blushing: ) I also agree with using the measuring tape (which I do every 4 to 6 weeks). :smile:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Wal Mart scale:bigsmile: it matches up with the doctors scale so guess it does the job. :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    My last scale was electronic, and it had an unfortunate accident a year ago involving a pitcher of water and gravity. I don't miss it.

I don't like scales. I weigh once a month or so at the gym. Works for me. When I had one, I obsessed over "weight" and weighing at the exact same time of day, etc.

OCD, ya'll. :tongue:
    So I think the best advise is to buy a middle of the road digital scale, and only use it....even when it is the devil

Too funny!! I used to say the scale is the :devil: SPAWN.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i've had a couple of different digi scales, and i find that they didn't work well. i could step on the scale and it would give me my weight, and i could step on again a min later and it would give me a different weight.

i use just a regular scale that i got for like $10 at walmart, lol
  • imdawn
    Options
    i've had a couple of different digi scales, and i find that they didn't work well. i could step on the scale and it would give me my weight, and i could step on again a min later and it would give me a different weight.

i use just a regular scale that i got for like $10 at walmart, lol

Ha I've had this problem with the digital scale (Health O Meter brand)...I'll weigh myself and then I like to make sure so I'll weigh myself again and wouldn't you know the weight manages to drop or gain by like 2 pounds so there I am weighing myself for 5 minutes straight until I get the same weight 3 times in a row (OCD I KNOW!) So I think I'm going to get a dial scale in addition to the digital scale...oh man I'll be in trouble then...but I want to make sure I'm losing weight (or gaining?!) (and yes, I'm going to take measurements once a month as well..) Thanks everyone who answered this..and if you want to keep answering this post, by all means I'll keep checking it to see what kind of scale people have...(I just can't help myself!) LOL :flowerforyou:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ikea. Dial. I am convinced it was made by skinny gremlins who would never need a scale...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Digitial scale that only gives your weight, purchased @ Wal-Mart for under $30. I think it's a Health Meter but I'm not sure.

I personally don't like scales so this one is very, very basic which is all I need. I rather use a tape measure which gives you a different kind of truth. :smile:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I have a cheap digital one from the drugstore... in fact, we had two at one point and they both gave me different numbers! :laugh:

I was thinking about replacing it, but we've been together for a long time. It has taken a lot of abuse.