Barefoot cardio workouts?

Options
I was having a problem when using my elliptical. My toes would go numb after about the first 30 mins....then I'd have to constantly stop and shake them out. I tried loosening, then tightening my shoes and neither one of those helped. I finally tried just using the machine barefoot(with socks) and it was soo much better! I wanted to know if this would harm me in the long scheme of things though. Any thoughts?

Replies

• cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I think going barefoot would be fine seeing how it is pretty much a non impact workout.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I dont see how it can hurt... barefoot running has become more popular- so I dont see how being on the elliptical can hurt.
    Just pay attention to how your feet feel :)
  • Ashykins
    Ashykins Posts: 233
    Options
    I do almost all my workout bare foot except of strength training haha!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Societies that don't wear shoes tend to have healthier feet and less foot and back problems. When I'm at home I do all my workouts barefoot, and I only wear socks on the elliptical and treadmill.
  • rdoyle35
    rdoyle35 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had the same trouble and then I tried different shoes and that worked for me.
    Hope this will help you.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    nope. I do a lot of my workouts barefoot. My trainer is a former gymnast, and all her girls worked out with no shoes! You can even run on the treadmill barefoot. Now, I have not done this personally, as it freaks the crap outta me! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong it it. Not sure what kind of elliptical you're using but most have a nice rimmed foot pad so it's not like you're going to slip out without shoes. I've actually done the elliptical in the gym in my stocking feet before - forgot to pack my gym shoes, refused to use that as an excuse to skip my workout and knew that was the safest machine to use without sneakers.

I also do all my DVD workouts at home without shoes on. I'm much more comfortable that way!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I have had that same problem in the past....and once I focused on putting more of the weight back on my heel (I tended to put all the pressure on the ball of my foot and toes), I didn't have the problem as much. This will most likely be naturally accomplished by doing it barefoot anyway, so if the pedals don't irritate your feet, go for it!
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I do all my home workouts barefoot...never thought of anything different.:)
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Don't go barefoot at the gym. I think that's the only rule. You don't want athlete's foot from a machine that wasn't washed down. I suppose you could always wipe down the machine before using it with anti-bacterial wipes which is probably a good idea anyway. :-D
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I don't train "barefoot" per se, but I do wear Vibram Five Fingers which greatly mimic the barefoot experience. I use these shoes for plyometrics, weight training, cardio, etc and they give me plenty of support while strengthening my feet/shins.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I have started doing my Turbo Fire barefoot which is high impact and all my knee and foot pain has gone away!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't train "barefoot" per se, but I do wear Vibram Five Fingers which greatly mimic the barefoot experience. I use these shoes for plyometrics, weight training, cardio, etc and they give me plenty of support while strengthening my feet/shins.

Agreed - I use my vibrams for everything from weight training to plyometrics, to trail running.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Agreed, working out barefoot in the cleanliness of your home sounds fine. However, caution on going barefoot outdoors and especially at the gym.

If you are really concerned about going barefoot during your workout. I wonder if a lighter shoe, as in water shoes or Yoga socks, would be a viable alternative?

Then again, you can take up swimming as your workout. So far, going barefoot in the pool seems to be okay with society. :)
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    the only time i dont work out in bare feet is when im at a zumba class and then i have dance shoes , i used to walk for miles in bare feet i would say i hate shoes but then how would i explain why i owned so many pairs of shoes lol
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    the only time i dont work out in bare feet is when im at a zumba class and then i have dance shoes , i used to walk for miles in bare feet i would say i hate shoes but then how would i explain why i owned so many pairs of shoes lol

This is so true! I much rather going barefoot but my shoe rack overfloweth!

I'm really tempted by the Vibram five fingers - if only they weren't so darn expensive!
  • Robrowald
    Robrowald Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also use Vibram Five Fingers or Avia Skeletoes. Both come close to being barefoot and get lots of stares/questions from other gym patrons.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I also use Vibram Five Fingers or Avia Skeletoes. Both come close to being barefoot and get lots of stares/questions from other gym patrons.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread but how are those Skeletoes? I've been thinking about buying a pair.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Taekwondo barefoot several times a week for the last two years and my feet are actually feeling better now than when I started. I often kick my shoes off during a workout and I've got the fancy orthotics and everything. Of course, I prefer to be barefoot all the time if possible so really I'm just anti shoes. :)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and great suggestions everyone! This helped alot!