college

beth2662
beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I find it increasingly difficult to diet while at school. I have no idea what is in the food, there are no nutritional values on anything. Also things are alll cooked in grease. I find myself eatting salads all the time! It's so annoying

Replies

• beth2662
    beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
    I find it increasingly difficult to diet while at school. I have no idea what is in the food, there are no nutritional values on anything. Also things are alll cooked in grease. I find myself eatting salads all the time! It's so annoying
  • I lived on salads my entire freshman year of college because I refused to eat the crap they call food. The salads weren't any better either because nothing was anywhere near fresh. The best thing to do is to remember that you can still eat at the dining hall, just eat in moderation. See if you can get some fruits/veggies from the grocery store to munch on or steal them in a plastic baggie like I did.
  • kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    I totally agree with you. I gained 30 pounds after starting college and I'm now a junior and trying to get back to the weight I was before college....it's a major bummer, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. I think most colleges have a rec center that's free to students and I recommend using that to your full advantage, I wish I would have my freshman/sophmore years.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Are you allowed a microwave in your room at college? Or is there one on the dorm floor? My daughter used to microwave Itallian Wedding soup with is fairly inexpensive and she could get it at Walmart Stores. My other daughter would stock the tiny freezer the fridges have with lean cuisines and microwave them. About four of them taken out of the cardboard boxes would fit there nicely. My daughter finally gave up on the college's meal plan and took an on-campus apartment with friends just so she could cook her own food. She found she ate better than at the on campus cafeteria. Hope these ideas help a little. Oh she also had a hotpot. It heats water to boiling so you can do teas and maybe ramen noodles. But they probably aren't as nutritious.
  • I'm in college right now. I am actually opposite of you, I find it easier to be healthy here, because of 2 things. The first thing is, that I have my own apartment so I can do the shopping and make sure I get healthy stuff for meals and that I can snack on. At home, my mom does the grocery shopping and she never gets what I want, and she always gets crap. The second reason might pertain to you a little more. When I did live on campus and ate in the dining hall, I actually ate less. I'm a big time snacker and overeater at meals. But, when I was ate school, I didn't keep any food in my room, so my only choice was to only eat at the designated times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That meant no midnight snacks, no huge snacks before a meal, no huge meal. I actually weighed less at school than when I went home, because I just nonstopped ate.
    My suggestion for you is to just eat the dhall food in moderation. You can still have the things that look greesy, just don't get a whole plate of it. It will leave you feeling more satisfied with your lunch/dinner than just eating salads all the time. I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck:)
This discussion has been closed.