My secret to weight loss

Options
Ask 100 people their secret to weight loss and you’ll most likely get 100 different ideas. I have idea number 101, and it has worked for me. Since Jan 1st I’ve lost 47 lbs, Hard Work, Dedication, and Total Commitment have sustained me to this point, but that’s too obvious to be a secret. Water, that’s it, but why?, you may ask. I’m not an expert I’m only sharing my positive result. When I started I immediately gave up carbonated drinks and large portions of bad foods and replaced them with water. When I felt the need for those items I drank water --- water instead of soda ---and a glass maybe two before a meal. Supposedly at least 64 ounces a day is recommended by the alleged experts. Of course for the first couple of weeks you’ll become much acquainted with the restroom until your system realizes you’re not trying to drown yourself. I did read an article that said water helps metabolism and it went on to describe things that no one really cares to know. The idea was that water helps. I do know from my experience that if I slowed down with the water I would plateau and would again lose weight when I increased it. One final tip – Get a water container that you enjoy drinking from, and I know that sounds really stupid. I started with the pop the top and squirt it for a drink type and really didn’t like it and my results showed. Now I’ve got a pull tab to access a one inch opening and it’s great. I hope that my secret 101 can help you too. Good Luck

Replies

• chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susancelli928
    Options
    Thank you and it does. I think I need to drink more. I drink about 8-10 glasses a day so maybe I should up it.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    great reminder, thanks

I am trying to not do anything processed this week per Newfiedan's challenge . . .so far so good, but it is only 2 meals into the gig! I know that there is no way soda can be good for me in any sense, but I find myself drinking it all the time. I am going cold turkey with it this week!
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    great post, and congrats on your success! people don't realize how many calories are in the beverages they drink. lots of wasteful ones for sure. i'll be sure to up my water intake daily! thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • kdewald
    kdewald Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I know that I need to increase my water intake. I really have to concentrate to make myself do this ---I know that sounds stupid, but before this journey I did not drink much water at all. I have a 20 ounce bottle that I refill atleast 4 times per day - seems easier for me to track it that way!
  • crystal10584
    Options
    also, it's shown that you drink 3x as much from a straw as you do picking up a cup. I know that when I got my plastic cup with a lid and straw 2 liters of water a day is NOTHING. super easy because it's not a hassle to lift the cup any higher than the straw to my mouth.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    This is one of the "true" results of water! I can tell the weeks that I slow down on water and drink too much! Good post and thanks for sharing!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I agree. Great job on your weight loss! Congrats!!!
  • Kaylalovewell
    Options
    awesome! i have always been a nothin but water drinker but i still don't think i'm gettin enough. your post has inspired me to up it some more :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    "Hard Work, Dedication, and Total Commitment have sustained me to this point, but that’s too obvious to be a secret." - You hit the nail right on the head with that one. But I would argue that it's not that obvious.

Everyone wants to know how I lost weight, what diet I used, etc. When I tell them there was no "secret" I just make healthier choices, ditched most of the processed food (never really ate fast food or drank soda to begin with so that was not an issue) and exercise more, I get dead silence. Too many people are looking for a silver bullet and are unwilling to make a commitment to change their life.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have bought myself a Mio this week and it has helped.
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this!! of course, i already knew this. i lost a lot of weight several years ago by drinking TONS of water! i can't believe i had forgotten that's how i'd done it.... i feel dumb. but THANK YOU so much for reminding me. it is completely true. water is one of the best things for you, imagine that? ;) haha :)
    its also true what another posted about drinking from a straw! you don't think about how much you are drinking at all when you are drinking from a straw!
    great job with the weight loss!!! i'm gonna go have a class of water!
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    I have bought myself a Mio this week and it has helped.

Mio has been my life saver! I hate water - but I put a little squirt of Mio to sweeten it up a bit and I'm drinking at least 80oz a day!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Of course, I know that you are supposed to drink water instead of soda & other bad for us drinks. Pretty much common sense, however, I didn't know that it affected weight loss that much or that a straw would make that big of a difference! Makes sense though, when you think about it. Thank you for posting!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ever since I was young Water has always been my favorite drink, besides the couple of Hawaiian Punches here and there. And I'm such a fan of the benefits of water. As a teenager I NEVER went through a pimple stage and I always got compliements on my complexion. When I tell people I just drink lots of water, they don't believe me. Now trying telling that to my teenage son who's going through his pimple stage. They never listen, lololol
  • cmor2005
    cmor2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hadn't realized how much of a difference it made either! Thanks for the post.

I don't have enough water intake as I should. Some days I can drink 64 oz and some days I am lucky to get 32 oz. But when I do Zumba, I drunk about 24 oz within the hour.

What is Mio?
  • Htay88
    Htay88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'll cut out the diet coke.:sad:
  • jonesg
    jonesg Posts: 1
    Options
    your wife did a good job finding you a container to drink from.::drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    also, it's shown that you drink 3x as much from a straw as you do picking up a cup. I know that when I got my plastic cup with a lid and straw 2 liters of water a day is NOTHING. super easy because it's not a hassle to lift the cup any higher than the straw to my mouth.

this might sound dumb, but how in the world do you keep the inside of the straw clean?! I used to have a water bottle with a straw, but even after putting it through the dishwasher I could look into the straw and get the heebie jeebies. I swear there was mold in there! After just a couple weeks I couldn't bring myself to drink out of it anymore :(