salad dressing alternatives.....

Options
anyone????

i enjoy caesar salads, but i don't have access to a fat free dressing. (im here in iraq) what else works?

Replies

• DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    olive oil & balsamic vinegar...I also like to add a lil mustard to mine...
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I put honey dijon on mine. I think it's only 10 cals per tbsp
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I also plan to try this recipe this weekend

http://mananyacooks.posterous.com/mananya-cooks-creamy-caesar-salad-dressing-wi

So simple. In a blender, combine:

1 cup 0% Greek yogurt (Fage or Trader Joe's)
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
    1/8 cup of white vinegar
    1/8 cup of FRESH lemon juice
    1 tsp of fresh cracked pepper
    2-3 anchovies (depending on your salt-level preference)
    1/2 cup grape seed oil (commonly used in salad dressings)
    (optional: for Greek yogurt beginners, add in 1-2 tbs of low fat/reduced fat mayonnaise)

All ingredients can be blended together at once. But, for a smoother, thicker and creamier texture, add the grape seed oil in slowly, a little bit at a time. Once done, put in a glass jar. This is a really easy dressing to make ahead of time; keeps in your fridge for one week.
  • srhdwll
    srhdwll Posts: 65
    Options
    Salsa!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use red wine vinegar... Lot of flavor for hardly any calories!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fat free ranch mixed with fat free italian dressing or vinegarette... equal parts.

it takes away the "fat free or lite" taste and makes a really great creamy italian dressing that is low calorie. Its my favorite.

I also like

Mayo (or miracle whip I prefer this)
    Milk until desired consistancy
    salt and peper
    and lime or lemon juice to taste...
  • paloma1182
    paloma1182 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a little sea salt and Lime juice. just squeeze a lime over the salad and add a dash of sea salt its soo good! Do you like pickled beets? those are good too and they have a juice to them a little- I usually add those on my salad as well for a little extra substance
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Salsa!

I was going to say the same thing
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I mix fat free mayo, a little splenda and balsamic vinegar
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about salad dressing alternatives, but I do want to say thank you so much for your service!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar and citrus juice. So yummy and refreshing! I use orange and lemon the most for my juice. About half a medium sized orange or half a lemon is perfect. And I use close to 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar. This is all based on a medium sized salad.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    i LOVE SALSA on my salads now! sooo delicious!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Being in the Middle East, you probably have access to all types of Mediteranian dips, like humus, tahini, tomato dips, and eggplant dips. Many of them are low in fat and high in vegetable content or protein. They make great dressings. I'm in the States and use them all the time, as I like them better. Enjoy and be safe out there.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    i use the regular, just alot less. if you toss the slad with the dressing instead of just pouring it on top you can still get the taste on every bite using alot less
  • rdaraz
    rdaraz Posts: 103
    Options
    i just don't use dressing, dressing is mostly fat and takes out the natural flavor of the veggies :)
    but you can just dip your fork in the dressing and eat with every bite, that would be a lot less calories and you'd still get the taste!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    salsa
    avacado mashed with a few T of olive oil
    lemon juice and olive oil and a tiny bit of sea salt
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I use whole banana peppers and squeeze them onto the salad. If you can get ahold of these it works pretty good, but I suppose you have to like peppers~Also, thank you so much for your sacrifice and what you and your friends have done for all of us here in the states! Hope you enjoy your day, and your salad especially with all these new dressing ideas! :)
    ~Corina
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I also just use the regular. Well I use light ranch but I put it on the side and just dip my fork. always get the taste and sometimes I dont even use 2 Tbsp.
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    thanks for great ideas everyone! and i love salsa....why didn't i think of that??!!!! lots of new ideas to try out! and yes, i've learned to love hummus over here. its super good!! thanks again!!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    fresh squeezed lime juice, cracked pepper & salt.