Cleansing/flushing the body

Options
Has anyone ever done this (detox)? I'm going to GNC this weekend and thinking about getting a kit. From what I have read, it can't do any harm. Has anyone ever done this and how did you feel.

Do you know anyone who has done it? :ohwell:

Replies

• dsteveb2
    dsteveb2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever done this (detox)? I'm going to GNC this weekend and thinking about getting a kit. From what I have read, it can't do any harm. Has anyone ever done this and how did you feel.

Do you know anyone who has done it? :ohwell:
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've done a cleanse before and felt it was a waste of money.....however, there are many different ones out there and maybe some of them work. I think the diet detox's are probably more effective and natural then a 'cleansing kit'. Now that's just my opinion, sometimes you just have to try something yourself to form your own opinion.
  • egeldis
    Options
    From what I understand, it is worth at least trying. The most common way though is through fasting. The one I have heard raving about it the raw fruit and vegetables "fast" where that is all you consume for a few days to a week. It's apparently the easiest and often the most successful. Good luck with it!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It can do harm, depending on what it does.
    Is it a diuretic? It can dehydrate.
    Does it contain a laxative (which most do)? It can dehydrate and interrupt the absorption of nutrients as well as irritating the colon and rectum.
    Is it an appetite suppressant? It can cause you to undereat.
    Does it force you to cut out entire food groups? You could become malnourished.

Honestly, the body does a fabulous job of keeping you clean. The inside of your colon is just like the inside of your cheek--food doesn't build up there because it's lubricated and smooth. Your stomach and intestines are constantly flexing (peristalsis) to move your food mass through and out. As long as you are drinking plenty of water, there is nothing to worry about, and detox isn't necessary.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I gotta agree with songbyrdsweet here =o)
    It can be very dangerous...be careful!
  • mildrede40
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: THANK YOU:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: SONGBYRDSWEET!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    No problem :smile:

I know you'll probably read about all the 'waste' in your intestines on a lot of those sites. Well, it's true, there is excrement in there. But it's on its way out, unless you're really constipated, and at that point a big dose of warm water is all you need. Any waste that does come out, or any pictures you might see (they're out there:sick: ), that was on its way out already. It's the same thing with colon cleansing. It doesn't do anything your body wouldn't have done except irritate your behind.:tongue:
  • k9powerlifter
    Options
    Interesting!!! You know the story I always heard and got shoved down my throat is John Wayne and/or Elvis hadsome 60 lbs of jazz in their colons duing their autopsies. What I read from what songbyrdsweet wrote....that's not possible; or is it?

What say you songbyrdsweet.....
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Interesting!!! You know the story I always heard and got shoved down my throat is John Wayne and/or Elvis hadsome 60 lbs of jazz in their colons duing their autopsies. What I read from what songbyrdsweet wrote....that's not possible; or is it?

What say you songbyrdsweet.....

LOL

If Elvis (or anyone) eats large meals with little fiber and/or water for a few days and doesn't have a bowel movement, the waste will stay in there. Most of the time it'll exit on its own, but in extreme cases of constipation where water or natural (or even stimulant) laxatives don't work, and enema or a few will usually do the trick. If nothing is done, it can lead to a distended colon and other problems. That's why I always emphasize drinking water and eating well...if you do that, things run smoothly.
    Since people generally evacuate their bowels/bladder upon death, he probably didn't have anything in there.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I have heard that eliminating alcohol and limiting sugars and sat fats will help detox naturally.
    Is this true songbyrdsweet???
  • GinaB30
    Options
    Most of the time it'll exit on its own, but in extreme cases of constipation where water or natural (or even stimulant) laxatives don't work, and enema or a few will usually do the trick.

^^

My POOR relative (poor girl!) didn't have a BM for over three months- and was literally turning green.
    She had taken every kind of laxative, had numerous enema's and was in pure H E double hockey sticks LOL
    She ate fiber cereals and drank fiber, poor girl just could NOT go!
    Finally the Dr's said they might have to operate and thankfully before that happened things moved. Can you imagine?!:noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I have heard that eliminating alcohol and limiting sugars and sat fats will help detox naturally.
    Is this true songbyrdsweet???

A glass of red wine (meaning about 6oz.) can be beneficial as it lowers BP. Consuming more than that on a regular basis doesn't really have any positive effects, so eliminating it wouldn't hurt. It affects hormone levels, hydration, the health of your liver, and dozens of other things you probably know about. Simple sugars do a number on your insulin sensitivity, so limiting them is a GREAT idea.

Saturated fats can account for about 1/3 of your daily fat intake, and help maintain healthy testosterone levels in men (and women too...we have a teeny bit of testosterone :smile: ). Not all sat fat is bad; some increases your HDL cholesterol, like cholesterol eggs. (HDL is good, LDL is bad). TRANS fats are what need to be eliminated entirely.

As far as detox...well, what do you mean? Removing all toxins from the body, cleaning out the colon, clearing the skin? Waste removal happens naturally; in fact, every 20 years your bones, skin, hair, nails, tissues..everything but your brain and nerve cells have been COMPLETELY replaced with brand new stuff! If you avoid toxins (smoke, alcohol, drugs) there's really not much left to do. Your body is taking care of it. :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Most of the time it'll exit on its own, but in extreme cases of constipation where water or natural (or even stimulant) laxatives don't work, and enema or a few will usually do the trick.

^^

My POOR relative (poor girl!) didn't have a BM for over three months- and was literally turning green.
    She had taken every kind of laxative, had numerous enema's and was in pure H E double hockey sticks LOL
    Finally the Dr's said they might have to operate and thankfully before that happened things moved. Can you imagine?!:noway:

UGH, that is awful!!! Poor thing :frown: I'm surprised they didn't do something for her sooner, that can really cause problems.

The only instance I've seen of that was in my cat...his colon actually got distended from all the feces, and they gave him FIVE enemas. :noway:
  • GinaB30
    Options

^^

UGH, that is awful!!! Poor thing :frown: I'm surprised they didn't do something for her sooner, that can really cause problems.

The only instance I've seen of that was in my cat...his colon actually got distended from all the feces, and they gave him FIVE enemas. :noway:

Poor kitty!
    I was shocked they didn't do something for her sooner- she felt terrible. She was SO sick that she couldn't even go to her own prom. =o(
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

^^

Poor kitty!
    I was shocked they didn't do something for her sooner- she felt terrible. She was SO sick that she couldn't even go to her own prom. =o(

That is really awful! Did they do anything at all or did her body sort itself out?
  • bighenry111
    Options
    That's exactly what I was going to say! Just kidding.. I guess you know your stuff.
    Good luck with your studies and fitness career.

Big Henry
  • fayevest
    fayevest Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have done the 9 day isagenix cleanse twice. It can be really difficult because there are 4 days when all you consume is liquid and these little snack things... BUT I did feel great both times after it. I lost 7 pounds each time on it, gained 2 back after going back to eating so basically I lost 5 pounds.

It made me feel clean and energized and it gave me a good "boost" to jump start my diet. I recommend it for anyone starting a diet, or trying to get off those last few stubborn pounds.

Let me know if you want more info!
  • GinaB30
    Options

^^

Poor kitty!

That is really awful! Did they do anything at all or did her body sort itself out?

After a while (it was 3 mos!) and numerous fiber cereal, laxatives, enema's, etc she just ended up going on her own and basically when you've NOT gone for 3 mos- you're kinda going for a looonnnggg time! lol Poor girl.
    Thankfully she is well now, didn't have to have surgery and is married and expecting her first baby! =o)