Foods That Cause You to Gain (even if you don't Overeat)

Options
These foods are so easily digested that you're likely to absorb every calorie and store it as fat.
The result: Even if you don't overeat, you may still gain weight.

:frown: The Pantry Stuffers
Refined and sugary foods take zero energy to digest. Check packaged foods for added sugar that goes by other names, most ending with -ose, such as fructose, maltose, and sucrose. Also watch out for corn syrup, molasses, honey, and juice concentrate.

:frown: Candy bars and candy
Fruit punch or fruit juice cocktails
Sweetened cereals
Soda
Sweet tea

:frown: The Impostors
Beware of processed foods that are advertised as the real thing but are anything but. There's really no meat or substance left, and they're fattened up with fillers.
Breaded chicken patties
Chicken nuggets
Burgers that aren't 100% beef or turkey
Veggie burgers (okay on occasion, but don't make them a frequent meal)
Bologna
Salami
Hot dogs

:frown: The Binge Brigade
Once you start, you just can't stop eating these starchy, high-carb foods.
Pasta
White rice
Refined bread
Muffins
Bagels
French fries
Potato chips
Biscuits
Cookies, pie, pastries
Doughnuts
Ice cream

Replies

• ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing:happy:
  • katieckols
    katieckols Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Didnt know white rice was really bad for you :( I eat it alot! What about brown rice?
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think I've gained just by reading this! Great post!
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    The title of this thread is so true! You can fit foods from that list into your calorie allowance but I'm living proof that you DON'T lose that way. At least I didn't, not as consistently. Looking back over the weeks where I ate things like chicken nuggets, sweetened cereals, white rice, pasta - I was always within my calorie limit but I never lost as much as when I ate cleaner - sometimes I didn't lose at all. There are so many reasons for this, such as retaining water due to the excess sodium content in the processed stuff, or the way the high-GI, refined carbs release all their energy into your body at once instead of more slowly throughout the day, giving you a chance to burn it off. A calorie is NOT just a calorie, people!
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    Didnt know white rice was really bad for you :( I eat it alot! What about brown rice?

White rice is a high-GI food like I just mentioned. Brown rice is fine - it's low GI meaning the energy releases more slowly, keeping you fuller for longer and giving you a chance to use it. White rice will give the energy to you all at once, spiking your blood sugar levels and leaving you hungry afterwards!
  • mtate914
    mtate914 Posts: 7
    Options
    great post! thanks for sharing.
  • dmdolan
    dmdolan Posts: 2
    Options
    white rice is starchy and has sugars if you want to eat rice it's better to buy the wheat rice same for bread don't eat white bread eat wheat instead
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I only eat brown rice now. Haven't touched white rice in years. It tastes better to me and is lovely with wild rice. I don't keep most of the things you listed even in my house because they are too much of a temptation. When I want to snack it is usually on fresh veggies.
  • dmdolan
    dmdolan Posts: 2
    Options
    white rice is starchy and has sugars if you want to eat rice it's better to buy the wheat rice same for bread don't eat white bread eat wheat instead

and sugars turn in to fat