Just finished breastfeeding, will this be a good thing or ba

Options
My son turned one on Friday. Bittersweet. It also marks that I am not nursing anymore. Its good because now I can concentrate on diet more and exercise as these things affected my milk supply but bad cause I do not get those extra calories to eat that I was.

So ladies, is this a good thing or bad thing that I am done nursing, my scale has been at a standstill for the past 6 weeks, (yes its because of my sweettooth but the amount of exercise and the good food I am eating, I feel something must be up) and Im wondering if its because my body was storing fat for nursing and because I was restricting calories and working out hard, it was storing fat like mad because I was burning so much?? Thoughts?

Replies

• kuaaina
    kuaaina Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When my youngest stopped nursing that is when I started to lose weight. Some women lose weight like mad when nursing but not me. I got as low at 139 and then my 30's kicked in and I'm up to 156. I would say it is a good thing if you are like me an unable to lose weight effectively while nursing. While nursing we should only be consuming about 300 more calories a day so really that isn't a lot of extra calories.

Good luck.
  • flems629
    flems629 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It helps me lose baby weight that I gained but Ive never really been able to lose much more of the pre-pregnancy weight. Its like my body holds onto my extra weight for dear life. I hope and am thinking I might be like you and for weight loss it might be better I am done. Thanks!
  • cosmo30
    cosmo30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you are like me, it is a good thing. When I nursed my daughter for a year, numbers refused to go down. Now with my son(7 months and nursing), it is the same story. Once I am done, weight just come off with little effort.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Oh it is so bittersweet when they stop nursing! I miss that so bad. I was one of those that wasn't able to loose any of the weight until I stopped nursing. Nursing didn't help me loose at all. I'm sure your body will adjust soon.
  • stephriley
    Options
    My body did the opposite; I gained when I STOPPED nursing. I think it's because I had a BIG baby that loved to eat (and nursing burns calories, or sucks the calories out of you :) ) and I really watched what I was eating to make sure he got the right nutrients (little to no fast food, no pop, etc). So it's my fault that I gained weight since I wasn't as careful with my diet. Good luck to you!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I was only able to nurse till my son was about 5 months. I lost all baby weight in about 11 days pp. However my body started getting "back to MORE normal" when I had to stop nursing him and I started watching what I was eating and able to start exercising on a more regular basis.

Great job nursing till the One year mark! I am jealous!