Why are carbs so bad?

Options

Replies

• j_talley8
    j_talley8 Posts: 11
    Options
    Just FYI people carbs are essential food source for our brain. Since our brain does not have the ability to store fuel it relies 100% on glucose...the breakdown of carbs to feed it!! Ever did the atkins diet and start to feel "high, out of it, forgetful?" Its because your brain is starving!!!!

Just go by your food pyramid and eat in control CARBS ARE NOT BAD in fact their required for neural functioning!

That's strange. I have sleep apnea and even when I got the CPAP machine I was still foggy. Since I started to eat paleo I'm more focused and alert than I've EVER been. Hmmmm....

Im sorry what was your point here?
  • Dawn111567
    Options
    Yes--and a low carb or no carb diet does serious kidney damage over time!! I'd like to keep my organs healthy!

I think that you are referring to Ketosis vs Ketoacidosis which are two different things.

Ketosis, in most cases, is a diet-induced condition that results in the body breaking down fat and fatty acid to create energy because of inadequate glucose supply in the diet, normally from a low-carbohydrate diet, a prolonged fast or starvation.

Diabetic ketoacidosis is a condition when the body cannot use blood glucose to produce energy due to lack of insulin and thus uses its muscle mass, fat, and fatty acid.

In ketosis, ketones do not cause harm to the body because insulin keeps a check on their production. In diabetic ketoacidosis, the blood becomes extremely acidic because of high sugar levels, inadequate insulin and an excess of ketones, resulting in chemical imbalance in the body.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Blah blah blah.

Find what works for you and **** what anyone else says.

I eat 40/35/25 protein-fat-carbs and have phenomenal workouts and feel great as long as I hit my meal windows. Maybe it would kill you to way and exercise the way I do, I don't know for sure? What I do know is it works wonders for me and if it stops I'll switch it up.

Btw,
    http://www.tryingfitness.com/herschel-walker-workout/
    What that man does/eats daily and the way he looks dispells ANY "you HAVE to do it my way".
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just FYI people carbs are essential food source for our brain. Since our brain does not have the ability to store fuel it relies 100% on glucose...the breakdown of carbs to feed it!! Ever did the atkins diet and start to feel "high, out of it, forgetful?" Its because your brain is starving!!!!

Just go by your food pyramid and eat in control CARBS ARE NOT BAD in fact their required for neural functioning!

That's strange. I have sleep apnea and even when I got the CPAP machine I was still foggy. Since I started to eat paleo I'm more focused and alert than I've EVER been. Hmmmm....

Im sorry what was your point here?

The Caveman Diet is the best diet of all time. /sarcasm
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Athlete is a very broad term. As stated before. It's more about how much exercise, how often, is it what they do for leisure or as a career and the biggest thing everyone is missing is these "athletes" most likely have little to NO body fat so their body is reliant on carbs and protein, protein to substain the muscle they have and also for a minimal amount of fuel but carbs for real fuel.

This I will agree with. These "freaks of nature" are fat burning/energy machines. A marathon runner would "bonk" on <100g's of carbs per day. A pro football player, on the other hand, I think could get away with it.

As you said in an earlier post, some of these elite athletes are training 4-6 hours per day. I have no doubt they WOULD need more carbs than the average everyday "Joe" like the rest of us.

As I stated earlier, the low carb/paleo way of eating doesn't advocate training for long periods of time (marathon's, etc). Mark Sisson refers to this as "chronic cardio."

It's really all in the "type" of exercise you're doing. If you're training for hours on end, I'd think carbs would be pretty essential. But if you're training in a short burst/intense type fashion (<40 minute workouts) I don't think additional carbs are a necessity to perform VERY well.

How much of a performance decrease is there? When I run my 6 miles ( about 50-55 minutes) on low carb I would feel like i had a terrible run. On high carb i blazed right through it. Also on low carb i had incidents where i had fainted after my run... could that be due to the lack of carbs or just coincidence?

If you are generally low carb then you need to pre fuel your runs or any high intensity workout that burns most of your glycogen stores ,right before you start. There is a way to figure out how much glycogen you burn. Pretty sure I read it in Paleo for Athletes. You also need to decide if you will need to fuel during a run, and how much of your glycogen stores you want to replenish afterwords.

Check out the co-authors blog/site. http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html.

Endurance training and any nutrition followed for it is special case and does not belong in any general discussions of weight loss, exercise, yadda yadda. You can really mess yourself up doing it wrong. Like anything, there are risks to that also but who the heck wants to live forever? I'm shooting for 65.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    1) Low carb isn't a fad diet. It's been around since the 1800's (1869, to be exact) and the only reason people don't follow it any more is because of our governments' insistence that fats are bad for us. So, someone please explain how my great-grandmother lived to 96 without ever worrying about eggs, butter or saturated fats? We need to go back to eating like THAT. And no, it wasn't high carb, or ever very low carb, just mostly low.

1) How does your anecdotal evidence of your great-grandmother prove anything about what the population of the world should do? And I'm pretty sure the anti-fat campaign stopped back in the 1990s. We're in 2011 in case you forgot.

You're kidding, right? Fat has continued to be pushed as the enemy well past the 1990s. In fact, the government is STILL blaming that (not highly processed carbs or sugar ladden foods) as the reason why people continue to get fat. When it's pointed out to them that people are consuming less fat than they did in the 1970s, the reply is "umm, well, it's STILL too much fat.". Why do you think that so many low-fat items have come out well past 1990?
  • Dawn111567
    Options

Actually I did follow Atkins and never had "brain fog". I think that people get confused and think that Atkins is all meat and fat and forget that the carbs that are eaten come from vegetables, fruits, dairy & nuts and for a lot of people they eat whole grain foods & legumes. Following the Atkins approach I ate healthier than all of my family that followed the "low fat". I ate more vegetables in my daily diet than they did in a week. My hypoglycemia got under control and my blood work is awesome.
  • j_talley8
    j_talley8 Posts: 11
    Options

Glucose can be made by other means than the breakdown of carbs.

Yes but Complex carbs take longer to break down and are like a time release glucose constantly feeding our brain rather than simple sugars that is more like a sugar injection and less sustainable overtime
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Athlete is a very broad term. As stated before. It's more about how much exercise, how often, is it what they do for leisure or as a career and the biggest thing everyone is missing is these "athletes" most likely have little to NO body fat so their body is reliant on carbs and protein, protein to substain the muscle they have and also for a minimal amount of fuel but carbs for real fuel.

This I will agree with. These "freaks of nature" are fat burning/energy machines. A marathon runner would "bonk" on <100g's of carbs per day. A pro football player, on the other hand, I think could get away with it.

As you said in an earlier post, some of these elite athletes are training 4-6 hours per day. I have no doubt they WOULD need more carbs than the average everyday "Joe" like the rest of us.

As I stated earlier, the low carb/paleo way of eating doesn't advocate training for long periods of time (marathon's, etc). Mark Sisson refers to this as "chronic cardio."

It's really all in the "type" of exercise you're doing. If you're training for hours on end, I'd think carbs would be pretty essential. But if you're training in a short burst/intense type fashion (<40 minute workouts) I don't think additional carbs are a necessity to perform VERY well.

How much of a performance decrease is there? When I run my 6 miles ( about 50-55 minutes) on low carb I would feel like i had a terrible run. On high carb i blazed right through it. Also on low carb i had incidents where i had fainted after my run... could that be due to the lack of carbs or just coincidence?

You're running distance which would be considered a prolonged period of time in the Paleo/low carb world. As I mentioned before, Paleo/low carb doesn't prescribe running for distance as much as it advocates infrequent sprinting and longer walks. As has been mentioned, for the distance/time you're running I'd think you WOULD require more carbs to perform.

If you're someone like me who's workout consists of a 20 minute circuit of power cleans followed by speed jumping jacks followed by barbell squats followed by jump rope for speed followed by heavy deadlifts followed by sprints or plyometric box jumps (this is one set and I'll do as many of these circuits as I can in 20 minutes) you don't need to load up on carbs.

I will say I take a post workout recovery drink that has 10g's of carbs in it but I still finish the day <50g's carbs.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

If you are generally low carb then you need to pre fuel your runs or any high intensity workout that burns most of your glycogen stores ,right before you start. There is a way to figure out how much glycogen you burn. Pretty sure I read it in Paleo for Athletes. You also need to decide if you will need to fuel during a run, and how much of your glycogen stores you want to replenish afterwords.

Check out the co-authors blog/site. http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html.

Endurance training and any nutrition followed for it is special case and does not belong in any general discussions of weight loss, exercise, yadda yadda. You can really mess yourself up doing it wrong. Like anything, there are risks to that also but who the heck wants to live forever? I'm shooting for 65.

Exactly. Endurance training, in this discussion, is a totally different animal.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Not every theory and diet works or gives everyone the same results. Take some time to try adding in some GOOD carbs, leave out the over processed crap like white bread and pastas, and see how you feel.

Everyone on here can give you what is "truth" but you really need to do what is best for you....No one of these claims here is 100%.
  • YeaILift
    Options

Glucose can be made by other means than the breakdown of carbs.

Yes but Complex carbs take longer to break down and are like a time release glucose constantly feeding our brain rather than simple sugars that is more like a sugar injection and less sustainable overtime

As long as you are getting the same number of carbs per day, this is irrelevant. You're not looking at the big picture.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    If you really want to know, read one of Gary Taubes books, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or "Why we get fat". He gives the best explanation of the low sugar carb theory of nutrition out there. You can also watch the documentary "Fat Head" or go to that movie's website. I'm not advocating anything, but if you really want to know why some people think sugar carbs are bad for weight loss (or nutrition in general) those are the best sources.

I'm currently reading "Why We Get Fat" and it is AMAZING!

Not all carbs are created equal. Not all fat is created equal.
    A calorie is not just a calorie- it matters where it comes from.

Of course, these are technically "opinions", formed by personal experience and much research.

All bodies are different. I am carb sensitive, but I'm not as carb sensitive as my mother and her siblings.
    We have insulin resistance in our family and so- simply put- we cannot metabolize simple carbs and that basically means sugar turns to fat.

:)
  • YeaILift
    Options
    We have insulin resistance in our family and so- simply put- we cannot metabolize simple carbs and that basically means sugar turns to fat.

:)

You're the exception, not the rule.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It's the insulin response that happens as a result. Read up on the role of insulin and you'll understand. Keep feeling guilty, it keeps you thin.

Read up on glycemic Load too.

This. I lost 50 pounds paying attention to this! Well said!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

Exactly. Endurance training, in this discussion, is a totally different animal.

I figured I would ask since this post became so popular ^-^ no longer endurance training for a few weeks. loved the answers!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options

Actually I did follow Atkins and never had "brain fog". I think that people get confused and think that Atkins is all meat and fat and forget that the carbs that are eaten come from vegetables, fruits, dairy & nuts and for a lot of people they eat whole grain foods & legumes. Following the Atkins approach I ate healthier than all of my family that followed the "low fat". I ate more vegetables in my daily diet than they did in a week. My hypoglycemia got under control and my blood work is awesome.

Exactly! Since being more carb conscious I eat WAY more veggies than when I thought "low-fat" dieting was a good thing. And my mother's been on Atkins for 15 years, and if she eats more carbs than she should THEN she gets brain fog!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Not every theory and diet works or gives everyone the same results. Take some time to try adding in some GOOD carbs, leave out the over processed crap like white bread and pastas, and see how you feel.

Everyone on here can give you what is "truth" but you really need to do what is best for you....No one of these claims here is 100%.

I completely agree with you!!
  • YeaILift
    Options
    It's the insulin response that happens as a result. Read up on the role of insulin and you'll understand. Keep feeling guilty, it keeps you thin.

Read up on glycemic Load too.

This. I lost 50 pounds paying attention to this! Well said!

You lost 50 lbs from being a hypocaloric state, and your attempts to control insulin response were largely irrelevant.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

I honestly try to limit the amount of processed foods. The bread i mentioned was not white bread and I eat old fashioned oats :] I never eat pasta

well im italian and so is my bf xD so maybe i slip up when i visit him xD