Weekly Program

Options
So this is my schedule for my workouts, I would like your input if you think I should add/subtract anything?

Monday-Weights (arms/core)
Cardio (2 miles running 12 min mile)

Tuesday-Cardio (3 miles 12 min mile)

Wed.-Weights (arms/core)
Cardio (2 miles running 12 min mile)

Thursday-Cardio (3 miles 12 mins mile)

Friday-Cardio (2 miles)

Sat- Cardio (2 miles)

Sun- Rest Day

Am I doing too much?

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Yes.. you shouldn't run everyday. Try running every other day. I do alternating cardio/strength training days.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    even though you're running, I'd switch the 2nd arms/core weight day with a leg day - this would include calves, thighs (inner, outer and quads), gluts, etc.

IDK, but do you NEED to do cardio (running) 6 days a week? seems like a lot unless you really enjoy it. Could lead to joint issues in long run. Maybe switch up a treadmill, running day for an elliptical or stairmaster type of low/no impact cardio? You could also shorten the times by doing interval training and get a good calorie burn.

You want to work smarter, not harder.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    Doing cardio everyday is not bad for your body at all as long as you have the fuel to do it. Over doing cardio is a tough thing to do because of how quickly your body can adjust to it. Over doing strength training is not difficult to do and is entirely different. Most guidelines say that it's safe to do between 30 and 60 minutes a day of cardio. At 12 minute miles you definitely fall into that category. Seeing that you have an entire day that you're resting you're not doing too much.
  • fatallysassy
    fatallysassy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, good question, and great job for making a plan. Most people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan - so you're already a leg up on most!

My first recommendation is to ask your doctor before starting any program.

Next, set yourself up for success. If you haven't been exercising, this might be an aggressive goal and you might choose to start slower and build over the next month. Also, be sure to legs to your workout? Our legs can house a lot of muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat. :D

Consider a simple modification to your great plan:
    Monday: Back/Bis/Core in a circuit to keep your heart-rate up - Cardio warm-up and finish the hour with Cardio
    Tues: Cardio
    Wednesday: Chest/Tris/Core in a circuit to keep your heart trate up - Cardio warm-up and finish the hour with Cardio
    Thurs: Cardio
    Friday: Legs/Core in a circuit to keep your heart trate up - Cardio warm-up and finish the hour with Cardio
    Saturday: Cardio
    Sunday: Rest

Try and change up the cardio too. On weight bearing exercise days warm up on the bike, and finish the work out on an elliptical one week; and then change the next week to stave off boredom. On Cardio days, bump up the treadmill to 7 height and walk hard, but don't run unless you love it or are training for a run. Otherwise it's not necessary and may push you out of a good fat burning heart rate.

Speaking of heart rate. I always recommend getting a heart rate monitor (HRM) because it will keep you in your fat burning mode. Unless you are focused on building endurance, and your goals are more weight related - keep your heart rate 'in the zone.'

Remember our body is like a watch, if one gear isn't working the whole watch st ops working, so be sure to keep it balanced. Good luck!
  • mayne
    mayne Posts: 2
    Options
    You should add some ice cream and soda and chips into that!! PLUS HALO!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:devil:
  • h0p3
    h0p3 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yeah I am looking into some leg exercises, and running has become one thing that I look forward to everyday so its not really a biggie.