After exercising

Options
So I'm not completely new to this site, but i do have a fitness question. i've just begun doing what i call semi-intense workouts again and sometimes after i finish running i get really lightheaded almost to the point that i sometimes feel like i might pass out....is this normal?

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a heart-rate monitor (chest strap Polar one from Amazon.com = best). Sounds to me like you are over training!!
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    Make sure you keep hydrated!
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    No. Make sure you are cooling down properly and you wont get light headed anymore.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    it is normal. Make sure you are leaving yourself a good 3-5 minute cool down period before you completely stop exercising during that session. Your blood is rushing while you are exercising and when you aburptly stop you can even faint......make sure you slow down, and regulate your heartbeat and then stop.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A couple weeks ago I asked my doctor about dizzy spells when working out. He told me to make sure that an hour before I start exersice - make sure I'm hydrating. Give it a shot - It's helped me!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Water water water
  • FatBastard6135
    Options
    This Could also be low blood sugar, like others have said use a heart monitor and drink plenty of water
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    cool down , lots of water, and protein
  • mttlng
    mttlng Posts: 6
    Options
    If it is something new, go to a neurologist. My daughter had always worked out and started to get light headed after strenuous exercise like you described. Turned out she needed a neck fusion. Can be a very serious problem!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating 30-60 minutes before exercising, are staying hydrated and are drinking a protein shake made with natural sugar not artificial sweetener immediately after working out. And watch your breathing while you're exercising. If you're huffing and puffing you may end up taking shallower breaths which will lead to lightheadedness.
  • RubiCube
    RubiCube Posts: 8
    Options
    Make sure you have enough fuel in your body before you begin your workout. It is important to have at least some carbohydrates and protein from food or drink if you are working out (even just a fruit juice or protein shake) and then electrolytes to replenish your body after. Maybe try a Gatorade (cut it with some water so it's not so sugary) while you run.
  • kma1988
    kma1988 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!!! :-)