Too much sugar!

Options
Ok, I can't escape it.

Every single day I'm over on my daily sugar intake! I know it's the 1/4 cup of M&Ms - probably - but come on! And the problem is, I really like my sugar :( And no, I won't switch to splenda, or sweet n' low, or any of those other artificial sugars. Really, it has "artificial" in its name, why would I want to eat that? I use German cane sugar in my maté teas, and honey in the roobios/herbals.

What do I do?

Replies

• Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    u have to cut out as much sugar as possible i was at a stand still for 3 months cause i refused and now i check everything for sugar and have lost 3 pounds right away...sorry:huh:
  • alesanafyi
    Options
    Well if you're not going to switch to artificial sweeteners, you just need to stop having whatever it is you have that has sugar.

Or if your sugar intake is mainly come from sweetening your teas, try Stevia - as far as I remember, it's a natural no- or low-calorie sweetener.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Try eating half the amount of M&M's you normally do... the vending machines at my work are my weakness along w/ white chocolate mochas. Last week I made a goal to not get any candy from the vending machine and no coffees either. Just had green tea. It was hard, but I have the same goal this week too. You could try sweetening your tea w/ agave nectar or syrup, I've only had it a couple times, but its yummy!
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can go over on your natural sugars, no problem! I am a HUUUUUUGE chocolate addict - seriously! I could eat like 2kg a day no problem! I tried to substitute it for fruits ... and not just any old crap, fruits i like! Strawberries, plums, peaches, nectarines, raspberries, kiwis ... no apples or bananas YUK! In the beginning I overdosed on fruit and needed the loo all the time, but it gets better after a while and these are never going to be as bad as candy or choc.
    Someone on the MFP boards said the natural sugars in fruits & veggies are counter acted by the fibre, so dig in!
    At the end of the day if I've got any spare I will have a miniature bag of choc buttons (like 75kcals) and I think, oh well, I'm over my sugars today but theyre all natural so they dont count because I ate clean all day :-D xx
  • mcress24
    mcress24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have been told to watch sugar as well. It does make a difference with weight lost. I have seen it for myself. A trainer advised me to eat nothing with over five grams of sugar. This is hard if you eat a lot of process foods but not if you eat mostly fruits and veggies. Becareful thou a Banana has around 14 grams sugar which was killing me on my sugar in take. :happy:
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I go over sugar every day, but (other than one thing today) it's never been any kind of processed sugar... it's always natural sugars from fruits (especially apples and bananas) or veggies! Honestly, I know I'm supposed to eat those fruits and I'm not going to stop. However, if I was going over from any kind of processed or artificial sugars you can bet I would stop!
  • SCC88
    Options
    I go over sugar every day, but (other than one thing today) it's never been any kind of processed sugar... it's always natural sugars from fruits (especially apples and bananas) or veggies! Honestly, I know I'm supposed to eat those fruits and I'm not going to stop. However, if I was going over from any kind of processed or artificial sugars you can bet I would stop!

Totally agree! I'm never gonna stop eating fruit, its the only thing that stops me from binging! I eat about 7 of my five a day hahaha!
    I went over my sugar allowance one day with 80g of PEAS!!! Madness! When do you hear people going "Oh no peas for me! I'm watching my figure" LOL xx
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I went over my sugar allowance one day with 80g of PEAS!!! Madness! When do you hear people going "Oh no peas for me! I'm watching my figure" LOL xx

I know!! Haha and peas are one of my favourites! If I have to give up all the unhealthy foods I like, I'm sure as heck not giving up the healthy ones I do because of some sugar! :)
  • mccaugkm
    mccaugkm Posts: 29
    Options
    I had a cup of fresh pineapple for lunch, which I'm sure had an impact too. A few years ago for Lent I tried to give up sugar entirely (like candy and such) and I'd rely on fruit. No kidding, I hardly lasted two weeks before I was lethargic and sleepy all the time.

Cutting back to 1/4 cup of M&Ms is a huge difference compared what I'd snack on before. Not to mention this time of year the Cadburry bunny loved to visit my house and now I've had to set up a fence to keep him away :( I've had to tell him to deliver the message to the Jelly Belly fairy too. I've still managed to loose 3 lbs since late last week, so that's some improvement.
  • SCC88
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've just discovered Weight Watchers Jelly, 17kcals for a whole bowl. No added sugar I beleive! I've just made some - orange and peach jelly with 4x tangerines mixed in ... thats my dessert later! nom nom :-)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've never thought of myself as having a sweet tooth, so I'm actually shocked to see how much "hidden" sugar I eat each day. I'm already over by several grams, and all I've eatn is: peanut butter & banana toast, coffee w/ 1 tsp. sugar, yogurt, berries, & granola, v8, & string cheese. On the other hand, my sodium intake is usually really reasonable.
  • yanksgurl613
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I used to be a candy,sugar, cookies etc. addict. Everyone who knows me is shocked. I quit sugar about a month ago. I feel amazing! At first it was so so hard. I would have these crazy cravings. But by now its very natural to me. I lost so many lbs as soon as I went off the sugar. I'm not 100 percent sugar free. But I dont drink any soda or sugary drinks only water and I dont eat candy or cookies etc. It works and I feel amazing! Noone believed I could do it since I was so obsessed with junk food. And they are all very proud and surprised :) You can do it too and you will see great results!