First 5K Race Advice

Options
I've pulled the trigger and just registered for my first 5K race next month. I am in the final week of the Couch to 5K training program, and while I am not quite running 3.1 miles, I am running for 30 minutes so I am confident I can get up to distance in the next 6 weeks.

For those that have been here before, what advice can you offer?

I plan to go soon to a running shop and get some decent shoes, and I know they will require some break-in. How do I go about it and for how long does it take to break shoes in? Currently, I've been running in Sketchers Shape-Up XT's.

http://www.skechers.com/style/52000/shape-ups-x-t/ccbk

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Congratulations on registering for your first 5K!
    First, don't do anything new the morning of the race. Eat a banana or something before the run, warm up well, and have fun.
    Don't sprint at the beginning of the race or you will regret it later. :-)
    Also, you may want to work in some interval training between now and then.....
    I think you will have a blast!
    ~maddymama
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    welcome to the first 5k club! so far its you and me...lol

i have asics shoes and the Running Room fitted me with them. love them! not sure if there is Running Room where you live, but Asics is a good shoe.

My first 5k is Sunday April 10... ina few days... i ran 6k last Sunday and it just about killed me.. pretty sure the 5k will come easily after that!

best wishes to you..... have a great run... you can do it!
  • mingermany
    Options
    I've run a number of races and my best advice is don't start out too fast! If anything, hold back the first mile and kick it up a notch during the last mile and pass all those people who started off waaaaaay too fast
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Bump for a great question. I'm doing my first 5k next month and I'm curious to see what everyone says.
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first on May 7th. I just got the race route today so I plan on getting off the treadmill and hitting the pavement this week. I, too, am also looking for advice!

Good luck to everyone running their races!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give you is go get fit for shoes by a store that specializes in running shoes. The right shoe can make a MAJOR difference and the wrong one can lead to injuries. Please, please, please go get fit.

Other than that, since it's your first one, don't worry about your time. You'll establish a benchmark time that you get to beat in your second 5K. Just enjoy the experience and soak in every bit of the atmosphere. Have fun!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And I have to agree with what I've been reading. Start off slow, probably consider being in the back so you don't get caught up with the guys wanting to beat everyone else...take your time and run your race at your pace. Before the race drink enough to keep you hydrated, have something small to eat...like a banana or an energy bar, and plan to eat a bite after the race. Warm yourself up before the race with some stretches, walking, etc and then enjoy being part of something great! And last, but not least, celebrate your finish! Good luck!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    As a few others suggested...don't start out too fast! As for shoes...I've been told by other runners that if you need to break-in shoes, you are wearing the wrong ones. That being said, make sure you have a couple runs in them to make sure you don't have any hot spots and that they are comfortable. Don't do anything new on race morning. Test out your race morning routine before hand (food or lack of etc.). Don't run in new clothes. Wait till after you finish the race to wear the t-shirt. Most of all... HAVE FUN! 5k's are a blast.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    First thing - ENJOY IT!!
    Second go to a good running store and get fitted for running shoes, the right shoes makes for a better run! (do this soon)
    Pace yourself- start out slowly, you will be glad you did at the end of the run. Walk some if you need to (check out Galloway running method)
    Third - Be in the moment when your first race starts- relish the thrill of running in a group start and the adrenaline moving through the crowd. It's a thrill I still get with every race.
    Lastly - be proud of your accompliments and accept the congrats from others as you have earned them!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    bump ...Good Luck bud...I'm interested in the answers. I have found a few in my area if I can work up the stones to sign up!!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Always so excited when I hear about folks running their first marathons, races, etc. I am not at all an expert, but here are some things to think about while training.

Invest in a good pair of running shoes. Go to your local run store & have them fit you. Get them now, cause it may take a month to break them in. Also, invest in a socks.. lots. Stay away from anything 100% cotton cause once cotton gets wet, it stays wet. Yuck.. blisters! I go for anything with polyester, acrylic, coolmax. Also, what you run (wear) in is important. Whatever works for you, use that on race day. Stay away from using anything new. Finally, I would look into getting a foam roller for stretching... but thats just me. I use this to stretch. I have learned to force myself to stretch after every run.

Oh, while you are training... I highly I suggest, getting an app to track your runs & monitor your progress. I use RunKeeper. I love it.

Have fun, stay hydrated!! Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Shoes don't take long to break in. Just don't wear them for the first time the morning of the race.

Between now and then try and run the distance three times a week. Don't worry about speed yet. Save that for the race.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Your one and only goal for your first race is to finish! The best piece of advice I got when I started was just to go the distance.

As for shoes, take your time beaking them in. You will want to rotate between your new shoes and your old ones. If you have not been properly fitted before, there may be a significant difference in how they feel and where they hit your feet. You might be comfortable out of the gate, or you may need a bit more time. Your feet will definitely let you know.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I've run a number of races and my best advice is don't start out too fast! If anything, hold back the first mile and kick it up a notch during the last mile and pass all those people who started off waaaaaay too fast

HA! HA! I still do that!! I'm still amazed @ how many people I pass...regardless of the distance of my race.
  • colie676
    colie676 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good luck!

Also check out Hal Higdon's 5 k plan. i did the C25K, well started and then needed more and switched and had a great first 5k experience! Just pace yourself and enjoy! I tried not to look at other people, I just thought about finishing it! i did my first in 33:38! At the time it was my best time ever!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Finally, I would look into getting a foam roller for stretching... but thats just me. I use this to stretch. I have learned to force myself to stretch after every run.

I know I should stretch more than I do - so what's the foam roller?
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too just signed up for a race, Beach to Bay in Corpus Christi, TX. Each leg is about 4.2 miles and I just started the C25K yesterday. I wasn't expecting to sign up but two people said they were looking for more teammates. I'm excited and nervous. I know the C25K will definitely help in the training process but wondering if maybe doubling the routine up, maybe doing it still only 3 days a week, but maybe twice a day would help. Or is that too much?
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Finally, I would look into getting a foam roller for stretching... but thats just me. I use this to stretch. I have learned to force myself to stretch after every run.

I know I should stretch more than I do - so what's the foam roller?

I'm curious too.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Good for you! Always so excited when I hear about folks running their first marathons, races, etc. I am not at all an expert, but here are some things to think about while training.

Invest in a good pair of running shoes. Go to your local run store & have them fit you. Get them now, cause it may take a month to break them in. Also, invest in a socks.. lots. Stay away from anything 100% cotton cause once cotton gets wet, it stays wet. Yuck.. blisters! I go for anything with polyester, acrylic, coolmax. Also, what you run (wear) in is important. Whatever works for you, use that on race day. Stay away from using anything new. Finally, I would look into getting a foam roller for stretching... but thats just me. I use this to stretch. I have learned to force myself to stretch after every run.

Oh, while you are training... I highly I suggest, getting an app to track your runs & monitor your progress. I use RunKeeper. I love it.

Have fun, stay hydrated!! Good luck!

Looks like I'm on the right track. I got fitted for my Asics. I have wicking pants, shirts, and socks. I also use RunKeeper to track all my runs. Thanks!
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A foam roller looks like a stocky, very sturdy, pool noodle. You can find them many places, but I got mine at a sporting goods store.