Pancakes

Options
Baileymqt
Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
I LOVE pancakes (mostly because of the ungodly amount of syrup I put on them) and haven't had any since I started MFP. I know it is the syrup that is the culprit here. Don't tell me to measure the syrup cuz it just won't work:tongue: Any suggestions for a pancake topping? (I'm allergic to strawberries.) If someone mentions peanut butter I'm afraid I'd use too much of that too. Thanks for some ideas!

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Fruit
  • jcreedy
    jcreedy Posts: 15
    Options
    I've heard of people putting cream cheese on waffles and pancakes. I've never tried it but it's worth a try! Bluberries are always yummy!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I put on some nice low cal vanilla yogurt and blueberries or raspberries. Bananas too sometimes.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Light syrup has less than half the calories - and sugar free has very little at all...
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is great so just measure it out to make sure you don't go crazy. Sometimes I just like a little butter and nothing sweet on it. Apple butter or natural preserves or fresh fruit would be good too.
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to get raked across the coal here, but in my opinion, if you love syrup...eat syrup. You're not going to find a replacement you love more. I have found that the things I crave the most are things you can't substitute. Just be concious of portion size and eat pancakes with syrup in moderation. But don't deprive yourself of things you love all the time.
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love pancakes too. First, you can maximize your pancake nutrition by using something whole grain, instead of Krusteaz or Bisquik. I use Bob's Red Mill 10 grain pancake mix. It's quite good; I actually prefer the taste of them to "regular" pancakes.

For toppings, if you like fruit the possibilities are endless. I almost always have two types of berries in my freezer, so compote whips up quickly. Apple butter, pumpkin butter, and applesauce in moderation or in low sugar varieties is a good option. If you're interested in a savory pancake experience, a fried egg on top can be nommy.

That said, there are days that I just go ahead and use syrup - either the pancake syrups like Aunt Jemima (NOM!) or if I want to go a little more natural, real maple syrup.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    sometimes i put a little whipped topping on them. i get the light kind and in like 2 tbsp there is only 10 calories so you would have to use a LOT to do damage! i also like fruit and yes peanut butter but thats harder because it is already high in calories.
  • aleeroley
    aleeroley Posts: 14
    Options
    Bananas and whipped cream
  • Lasertoast
    Options
    Try apple butter! I tried it once about 2 months ago just randomly and it was amazing! Haven't syruped once since! =D
  • MCEVITTS
    MCEVITTS Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree here. You could even try to make your pancakes a little healthier (skim milk, egg whites...) so you can have your syrup! Don't take away the things you really enjoy or you'll end up binge eating!
  • Nelski
    Options
    I know I'm going to get raked across the coal here, but in my opinion, if you love syrup...eat syrup. You're not going to find a replacement you love more. I have found that the things I crave the most are things you can't substitute. Just be concious of portion size and eat pancakes with syrup in moderation. But don't deprive yourself of things you love all the time.

I think this is true. As long as you aren't eating too much of it too often of course. Try your best to not go overboard on the syrup and enjoy it once in a while. Real maple syrup or honey would be better because they are natural and not high fructose corn syrup.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    applesauce, especially homemade applesauce is yummy. applebutter or peanut butter and jelly, I love pancakes too. but agree the syrup is alot of calories. I use light syrup but not quite as good
  • o0oAliciao0o
    Options
    They have sugar free syrup (made with artificial sweetner) in a glass bottle that is only 10 calories per tbsp rather than 80 calories per tbsp like Aunt Jemima. Just check the label before you buy.
  • o0oAliciao0o
    Options
    They have sugar free syrup (made with artificial sweetner) in a glass bottle that is only 10 calories per tbsp rather than 80 calories per tbsp like Aunt Jemima. Just check the label before you buy.
  • Baileymqt
    Options
    I've never had apple butter. Where is it in the supermarket and does it have any nutritional value?
  • Nelski
    Options
    I've never had apple butter. Where is it in the supermarket and does it have any nutritional value?
    Check by your jams and jellys or if there is a natural food section. I actually get mine at an orchard or farmers market. Get the kind without added sugar and it's pretty much the nutritional value of an apple but less fiber.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Honey and pb make a nice combo or honey and fruit- pineapple, berries.

One thing I've really loved (and I'm gonna tell you even though you said not to :smile: ) is getting really high quality syrup (like the grade A 10$ bottle kinds) and just using a tablespoon or two. I know that sounds ludicrs- having been a syrup junkie myself once- but when you get the real shiz its just so much sweeter and more worth it. I usually do about 1/2 tbsp per pancake or slice of french toast with some fruit, but I've actively worked down to that.
  • Baileymqt
    Options
    Thanks. I probably would have stared in the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" section until they kicked me out of the store. In your opinion, do you think applesauce or apple butter would be better on a pancake?
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks. I probably would have stared in the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" section until they kicked me out of the store. In your opinion, do you think applesauce or apple butter would be better on a pancake?

apple butter is WONDERFUL on pancakes. - you have to give it a try!