Exercisee Set Backs

k83did
k83did Posts: 7
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all! :) I have recently been training for my first 5k run! I decided to do the 5k run in early March and it seemed like plenty of time to get fit for the run. After shin splints that brought me to tears and a week on the couch, I feel like my progress has slowed tremendously if not backtracked! I was running my 3.1 miles in 40 minutes which was awesome for me and made me quite happy. Now that I have taken a break and my shins are not fully healed, I have gone to my 3.1 miles in 50 minutes or longer depending on the terrain. I figure at this pace I might as well enter the race as a walker instead of a runner. Any tips on accelerating my progress would be greatly appreciated, actually any running tips at all would be greatly appreciated. I am almost to the point of not entering the race at all. It is so hard to stay motivated!

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Bump
  • k83did
    Guess no one else has this problem :D
    The point of this post is to get tips on what intervals to run in order to increase my endurance, ultimately increasing my time :D
    I hope someone can help me :D Thanks!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I struggled with shin splints for several months before I got past them. You have probably read that they are caused by doing too much too quick. I felt like I was adding miles and speed painstakingly slow, but I finally slowed even more and eventually got by it. And are you running in new, quality shoes selected with the help of a running shoe pro? Proper shoes can make a huge difference. I now run several times a week with no problems, but it sure was discouraging on the front end. I just could not get up to par as quickly as others. But I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did. I love my morning runs! Oh, and are you doing a run/walk program? That really helped me. There are many programs online and in Runners World magazine.
  • k83did
    Thanks johnwitent!
    I was doing the 6 week runnerworld program but incorporated hills in this, because the running terrain by my home has hills.
    My shoes are new and yes I was fitted and bought them from a specialty running shop for the fact that I run on the outside of my feet. On my right foot, my three outside toes also go numb. Especially my fourth toe. The specialty store seemed to think it was my running style and others seem to think my shoes are too small. Process of elimination is my best bet. Just getting close to race day I feel.
    Do you feel a run/walk program is better than a "run for as long as you can, walk for a minute or two then run again" when I say run I mean jog)?
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Thanks johnwitent!
    I was doing the 6 week runnerworld program but incorporated hills in this, because the running terrain by my home has hills.
    My shoes are new and yes I was fitted and bought them from a specialty running shop for the fact that I run on the outside of my feet. On my right foot, my three outside toes also go numb. Especially my fourth toe. The specialty store seemed to think it was my running style and others seem to think my shoes are too small. Process of elimination is my best bet. Just getting close to race day I feel.
    Do you feel a run/walk program is better than a "run for as long as you can, walk for a minute or two then run again" when I say run I mean jog)?

haha on the "when I say run I mean jog." Me too! Yes, I do feel that a set program is better than running until you can't run anymore then recovering. The point is to "front load" the walking; make sure that you are walking frequently on the front end of your run. That yields greater endurance for later in the run. If you are wearing yourself out on the front end it defeats the purpose. And save the hills for later. Hill work is great and I highly recommend it, but only after you have gotten past the shin splint issues. Jeff Galloway pioneered the run/walk program and has several books out. If you are like me this is going to require some patience, but as I said before it is worth it. To be honest I gave up on running a couple of times but came back until I finally persevered. Now I trail run with my two girls (dogs) and laugh all morning as the girls run all over the trail and swim in the river. (I live in a secluded area, no other runners.)
    I would just do the 5k and not worry about time, pace, etc. Enjoy! Then you will have a good baseline to brag about your improvement. Every race will be a pr!
  • k83did
    I appreicate your advice very much!
    I will set my workout on my phone to more walking toward the beginning of my run, or force myself to walk a little more, since I feel as though I will not improve if I do this, it is hard for me. My breathing is saying you can go longer and my legs are saying.. PLEASE WALK A LITTLE! :D
    I will let my body recover more.
    Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.