Whole food/ good fat replacements for butter???

Options
I already avoid most dairy products but I just found out from my doctor that I may have an intolerance to butter. Testing will come back in a few weeks, but I'd like to get a jump on changes if possible. So I'm hoping you folks can help me find some suitable alternatives to butter.

I don't use it it very often, but when I do its usually on baked potatoes, steamed brussel sprouts, corn on the cob or dinner rolls. (things like that)

I won't go back to margarine, or any other synthetic replacement, I'm hoping you have ideas that are whole food/ healthy fat replacements?
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    in some cases you can use hummus. obviously it might be weird on the things you have mentioned, but on bread and whatnot its good!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    "move over butter"

it was suggested by a friend, i haven't tried it yet, but thinkin about getting some
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been trying to cut it down here too.

I love good olive oil, and am finding that on bread with a little sea salt is really good. Or I use roasted mashed garlic (YUM) or guacamole I make here.

For veggies, I saute them in a tsp of olive oil and add seasoning, or else I bake them with just a drizzle. It allows the natural flavors to come out. The other day, I roasted corn on the cob, and seasoned with olive oil/salt before cooking it. Even the kids ate it without asking for butter.

Baked potatoes I don't eat, so no help there, except that I prefer sweet potatoes, which again need less topping. Though, I bet a baked potato would be great with mashed roasted garlic and a little paprika and pepper.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My nutrition professor sticks olive oil in the fridge to make it solid to use as a butter spread. Look at the back of the butter replacement tubs with olive oil - if it says hydrogenated anything, avoid it. You might try hitting the health food store to find a good replacement.

Hope you can find one!
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use some roasted garlic (I make a big batch every weekend!) mixed with a little greek yogurt (I like Fage... more expensive, but SO YUM) on my baked potato--GREAT butter sub! It would probably be good on the dinner roll (or any other "starchy" food), but not sure about the veggies. It's not really a sub, but I use a TINY bit of EVOO or Sesame Oil and/or a squeeze of lemon juice on steamed or baked veggies, and season with chives or some other fresh/green herb.
  • MissNicholas
    Options
    I already avoid most dairy products but I just found out from my doctor that I may have an intolerance to butter. Testing will come back in a few weeks, but I'd like to get a jump on changes if possible. So I'm hoping you folks can help me find some suitable alternatives to butter.

I don't use it it very often, but when I do its usually on baked potatoes, steamed brussel sprouts, corn on the cob or dinner rolls. (things like that)

I won't go back to margarine, or any other synthetic replacement, I'm hoping you have ideas that are whole food/ healthy fat replacements?
    :flowerforyou:

My suggestion would be to not find a replacement for butter. The foods that you mentioned can all be enjoyed without
  • kimkayb
    kimkayb Posts: 1
    Options
    Olive oil........and if you miss the saltiness of the butter, just add a tiny sprinkle of salt to it :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Raw, virgin coconut oil is very good for you and pretty tasty if you like coconut.

I don't know if you can do goat's milk products but goats milk butter isn't too bad if you can do it.

Depending on what you're using it on there are several other types of oil that are tasty. For stir fry the coconut oil is good but also try sesame or a nut oil. Grapeseed oil is supposed to be good but I've never tried it.

A good garlic infused olive oil is good on rolls or drizzled on vegetables too.

Hope you find something you like!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    mayo
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - there's lots of great suggestions here, I will definitely try some of them.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I use extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil and Move Over Buttter
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    If you are sensitive to dairy, you might try goat butter. It's tangier than cow's milk butter but it work where you want a little something for finishing a dish.

For cooking though, go with oil, canola, olive, grapeseed are all good choices for savory dishes.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just bought some coconut butter, supposed to be good for the thyroid...
    I also use hummus or guacamole for sandwiches, olive oil for cooking, you could also try almond butter.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bump
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil works great for baking - like in biscuits or pie crust, any time you need it to be a solid fat.

If you want a more natural margarine, Earth Balance has no hydrogenated oils or weird ingredients, and it is 100% dairy free. I use it sparingly when I really want that buttery flavor.

I really like salsa on baked potatoes.

And olive oil is also really delicious on bread, especially if you infuse it with herbs and garlic and a little bit of salt. Try pouring it into a small, shallow dish and dipping your bread in it rather than trying to spread it on.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Flavored olive oil works great on dinner rolls and potatoes, would probably work on corn too.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to dairy and I use Earth Balance Spread for a substitute in different recipes. I personally was never a butter fan to begin with though, so its mainly just mashed potatoes. I eat peanut butter on toast which is yum and like most have said, different cooking pils like olive, sunflower, basting, etc are great substitutes that taste great!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    olive oil or pam are good replacements. Also cocnut butter I heard is good too.