How do I lose FAT not muscle?!?!?!?!

Options
When I ask on how to lose wieght all I see is RUN RUN RUN ok...I did and bam! :happy: I lost 14lbs just like that now here I am at 131 :wink: and I still can't see defintion in my abs WTF!!?!?! :noway: I keep under my calorie goals seriously I do and I work out regularly but I notice my FAT is still hanging around my mid section :grumble: my body appears smaller but ughh no defintion what am I doing wrong?? :sad: I do a decent amount of ab work too! HELP!!!! :explode:

Replies

• kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lost a bit of weight before joining, and if I can give advice to you, try and increase protein if you are a gym goer, tuna and chicken are great sources and if you work on resistance machines, the protein will repair and help keep your muscle.

Thats how I understand it anyway, it worked for me, I was losing weight and my arms added some meat.
  • Dasha81
    Dasha81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    weight train! all over body. and make sure you do it hard enough that at ur last rep you can't go anymore. hope this helps! good luck and congrats on ur success so far!!
  • TurtlesRule
    Options
    Could you elaborate for me??
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You need a resistance (weight training) program!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you incorporate a strength training program in your workout routine at least twice a week and eat plenty of protein, you should be able to hang on to muscle on a higher rate. Strength training would be like lifting weights for 3 sets of 8-12 reps getting close to failure, but not quite failure.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you incorporate a strength training program in your workout routine at least twice a week and eat plenty of protein, you should be able to hang on to muscle on a higher rate. Strength training would be like lifting weights for 3 sets of 8-12 reps getting close to failure, but not quite failure.
    I've read that ladies training to failure helps lose the stubborn weight that likes to hang onto our upper arms, tummy and hip areas because it forces a raise in testosterone and HGH yet keeps cortisol levels down, allowing for our female bodies to let go of the fat that accumulates in those trouble areas because of our higher estrogen levels (or something like this.)

(and no this won't make us bulky muscle men! lol)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'd read from people like stroutman that you should lift until you feel like you are 1 or 2 reps away from failure.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    try P90X you will get definition everywhere!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'd read from people like stroutman that you should lift until you feel like you are 1 or 2 reps away from failure.

I've always heard this as well. Strength training to any extent (I'm talking lifting heavy not just barbie weights) will cause a rise in testosterone. To the OP yes as others have said strength training will give you amazing definition, results and help get rid of any stubborn fat! A great read is "New Rules of Lifting for Women" has great easy to follow routines and debunks lots of common myths!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    all of the workouts in the world will not get you good results without proper diet end of story, its 80% diet and 20% exercise, you must feed to succeed. In other words gearing your diet towards the best results and that does not mean eating the bloody minimum. To maintain muscle mass you must train the muscles with a proper resistance program and eat sufficient protein which many do not do. Mfp recommendations are low on this end of the scale for my liking. Working out like mad and not getting results? That is simple you are not eating enough. Hard to understand? Not at all, feeding the body the right calories will keep the fat burning furnace going, the wrong number will stop you dead in your tracks or create weight gain. For maximum fat loss strength training will get you better results than any cardio program. Cardio works great for burning cals in the here and now, muscle gain will burn more fat over a longer period of time than any cardio program.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Not sure if you are a member of a gym or even Golds Gym. I take this class there called bodypump. It's 55 minutes of strength training. It is AWESOME. Difficult, but absolutely the best thing for building muscle. I know I have abs under my fat somewhere :P I've seen a few people in my class definitely transform from it.

If you can get access to a class like that 1-2 times a week that might be the ticket. Good luck!