Egg storing question.

Options
kittyinaz
kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
So I just started buying farm fresh eggs (SOOO good. Total difference), and they are absolutley gorgeous -- blue, purpley, brown, tan, etc and I hate having to put them in egg cartons. I'd much rather have them in a clear glass bowl so every time I open the fridge I can see how pretty they are, but I've heard they need to be covered.

Do any of you have any other egg storing containers that you use that aren't egg cartons?

Replies

• crystal10584
    Options
    what about clear bowls with lids? I know pyrex makes some like that.
  • kittyinaz
    Options
    what about clear bowls with lids? I know pyrex makes some like that.

I have one of those for my hard boiled eggs, but I've heard if you close eggs tightly that's not good -- they need to breathe I guess, and egg cartons let them do that supposedly.

I'm debating keeping them in a bowl, but with something on the top, like a styrofoam lid, idk.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    they do not need to be covered. Or refrigerated for that matter.

Source: grew up on a farm with a whole herd of chickens (LOLjoke), we kept our lovely eggs from the hens on the counter in a wire mesh basket, in the open air, at room temperature. We rinsed the chicken poo off them before we cracked them, that's all.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I google it and yes you should cover them because the shells are pores and collect other odors so maybe glass bowl with plastic wrap on top?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    they do not need to be covered. Or refrigerated for that matter.

Source: grew up on a farm with a whole herd of chickens (LOLjoke), we kept our lovely eggs from the hens on the counter in a wire mesh basket, in the open air, at room temperature. We rinsed the chicken poo off them before we cracked them, that's all.

It's true that they don't need to be refrigerated, but if you don't, you'll need to use them quickly. Being at a warm or room temperature will make them go bad faster, that's why people refrigerate them.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have never kept eggs in the fridge or covered. Mine are in a chicken shaped wire basket on the kitchen side
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yes, we ate them up in a matter of a few days, if it was going to be longer than a week my mom would give them to the neighbors or whatever.

But the porousness of the shells doesn't mean that they have to be covered, I promise. Egg cartons are designed to deliver them safely to your store, then your house. that's all.
  • kittyinaz
    Options

Ooh I like that, thank you!!!

Edit: I ended up order that because I think that's just perfect. Thank you so much. I was actually trying to google to find something like that but apparently wasn't doing it right haha.
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    Cat, I have chickens and would be happy to supply you with eggs! And no, you don't need to store them in a covered container.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Eggs are porous and will absorb smells, so now the question is, does your refrigerator smell? If you're using the eggs relatively quickly, chances are you're not going to have a problem with it in general. When I am lucky enough to buy farm eggs I don't refrigerate them.

Enjoy!
  • Lasa797
    Lasa797 Posts: 13
    Options
    Commercial eggs have probably been washed so the shell will be porous. Fresh laid eggs have a "bloom" on them and the shell isn't as porous. I have kept my chicken's eggs in a bowl on the counter for sometimes up to a week without problem. I would think that keeping them in the fridge would make them last longer though. The longer you keep the eggs, either on the counter or in the fridge, the more the inside shrinks. And because of this you can tell the difference between a fresh egg and an old egg by putting them in a sink of water. The ones that float the most are the oldest.
  • kittyinaz
    Options
    Cat, I have chickens and would be happy to supply you with eggs! And no, you don't need to store them in a covered container.
    That would be awesome, Linda! Thanks!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    walterdrake.com has a clear plastic egg container.......the main purpose of an egg container is to keep the eggs from absorbing other oders like onions or garlic so really any container with some coverage would be good.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Ooh I like that, thank you!!!

Edit: I ended up order that because I think that's just perfect. Thank you so much. I was actually trying to google to find something like that but apparently wasn't doing it right haha.

Glad I could help. My friends call me the google master 'cause I can always seem to find what they are looking for.