Under calorie goal everyday

Options
I have set my calorie goal to 1500 calories but never seem to meet it. I know it's ok to be under but I'm under about 500-700 calories quite frequently. I've been exercising everyday so that plays a factor but I was wondering if this pattern is unhealthy.

Replies

• mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    why don't you just eat some extra food?
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I only eat when I'm hungry. I try not to eat just to eat.
  • DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Me too.... I am happy with this but will it slow my weight loss down?
  • ColeyBear08
    Options
    Me too.... I am happy with this but will it slow my weight loss down?

Exactly my concern!
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes, but this wouldn't be "just to eat", it would be to fulfill your calorie requirement.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think that depens on what you eat... And if you feel hungry.

If you've eaten healthy stuff and feel full I don't think it matters all that much, as long as you're not like, under 1200 every day.

Maybe eat more healthy snacks, like nuts, bananas, peanutbutter, tiny bit of dark chocolate...
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't think she was asking how to "fix" not eating enough calories. She was asking if it was unhealthy.
  • lilbee2011
    Options
    I agree!! listen to your body.. if it needs more calories, it will tell you!! If you're not hungry, and the deficit is mostly because of working out, I wouldn't worry. I think consistency in your day to day calories matters more. That way your body knows that it will get fuel and not go into "starvation mode"..... As long as your eating healthy and giving your body enough nutrients, it should be fine.... HOWEVER, if your not eating enough nutrients and the proper fuel, it can backfire on you...
  • allen83
    allen83 Posts: 17
    Options
    Are you not eating those exercise calories back? I used to go 300 - 400 under my goal of 1200 pretty frequently and it took 3 months but I hit starvation mode and haven't lost a pound in over 2 weeks. I'd suggest trying to eat back those calories. It's pretty easy to make back 500 calories too. A cup of oatmeal and a large (6oz) banana is ~450 calories already.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am under my calorie goal every day. Usually only my 200 or so. I am not that bothered, but I am hungry ALL THE TIME. I just can't stand the idea of going over.
  • babytmarie27
    Options
    It can be unhealthy if it causes your body to go into to starvation mode. U will normally know this because u will plateau in your weightloss. If u r still losing than u r probably fine. Try eating small high calorie foods like nuts or adding some olive oil to other things.
  • helthymom6
    Options
    the other very healthy snack that is loaded with calories is an avacado. About 300 calories in one. It is very good for you and doesn't really fill you that much. It has tons of vitamins and healthy fats which your body needs. hope that helps.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    It can become a problem if the resulting deficit is higher than what your body is comfortable with, and if you're not getting good nutrition.

I'd recommend reading the following threads that discusshow MFP calculates cal goals, metabolism and why it's important to fuel the body properly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat
  • ColeyBear08
    Options
    Are you not eating those exercise calories back?

I don't all the time and when I do I only eat about 1/4 of my exercise calories.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have set my calorie goal to 1500 calories but never seem to meet it. I know it's ok to be under but I'm under about 500-700 calories quite frequently. I've been exercising everyday so that plays a factor but I was wondering if this pattern is unhealthy.

If your target is 1500 and you are falling short by 500-700, that means you are eating 800-1000 calories a day. Let's assume you burn 300 calories per workout. Your NET is now 500-700 calories a day. That is NOT enough. You are not giving your body the fuel that it needs to survive. Read the links in my signature for some more detailed explanations but the bottom line is, yes, that pattern is unhealthy. You NEED to eat more!!
  • saggitarious
    Options
    Hi,
    I just started and I was 269 calories under and they keep saying that its not healthy but i feel okay. my goal is 1200/day. I am diabetic and sedentary due to muscular dystrophy and being w/c bound.mMy sugars useually run low early mornings and I have to eat something to raise it. So my calories vary, I do have to count carbs more so.. We will see how this goes.:drinker:
  • qla3
    qla3 Posts: 8
    Options
    You are not giving your body enough nutrients. You are starving your body, which is not healthy in the end.
  • qla3
    qla3 Posts: 8
    Options
    I fall short of my calorie intake everyday but not by many.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

I only eat when I'm hungry. I try not to eat just to eat.

See the problem with this is a big part of the reason many are on MFP are to retrain themselves to eat- we tend to build bad habits of over eating, our bodies' signals for when and what to eat become kind of screwy. It can just as easily NOT tell you are hungry when you need food as it can tell you to eat when you need nothing.

It is pretty unhealthy to be that far under and it will slow your metabolism (throwing of the calculations of MFP and other similar sites in terms of how much you need to eat to lose) and make it more difficult for you to lose .

I would say train your body first- plan out what to eat and when to make sure you do get to enough calories. And then when you've trained your body back to a healthy place and healthy habits, THEN listen to your body's hunger signals. But to depend on them after however long of messing them up, I just think that's expecting a lot from your body.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My goals have been showing every day that I still need to eat about 600-700 more.
    My goal mpf goal is 1400. My personal goal is 1200.
    I think the biggest factor is eating back workout calories.
    Will this put my body into starvation mode?
    What should I assume is going to be the safest calorie count for me?