Half marathon

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I started running properly in September 2010, I had six weeks off in Nov / Dec as was ill, started up again quite hard in Jan, doing 3 10km runs a week. I am now only running twice a week, as I am recovering from an ankle injury, but trying to do 6-10k a time. I am doing a 10k race in June, which I think will be fine, but I really want to do a half marathon in memory of my friend who died of cancer last month, some time in Sept or Oct. How hard is it? I feel fine running 11km, but the idea of doing more terrifies me, and I am not sure why. How much harder is it? Is it just about mental strength? How much extra training will I need to put in?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You need to find a proper training plan for a 1/2 to follow. Just simply doing long and longer runs isn't the way to train. I prefer 1/2 marathon distances over a 5K to 10K, I really feel like I'm running. You have plenty to time to train and get ready. With injuries, you need to heal completely before you keep running on an injury, it will effect you more than you realize. Add in cross-training, this was my biggest mistake when marathon training. There are several plans available for free online, I'd say read several and pick the one you think it most what you will do. Have fun with it!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You need to find a proper training plan for a 1/2 to follow. Just simply doing long and longer runs isn't the way to train. I prefer 1/2 marathon distances over a 5K to 10K, I really feel like I'm running. You have plenty to time to train and get ready. With injuries, you need to heal completely before you keep running on an injury, it will effect you more than you realize. Add in cross-training, this was my biggest mistake when marathon training. There are several plans available for free online, I'd say read several and pick the one you think it most what you will do. Have fun with it!

Agree!! I love the 10 mile/half marathon distances for races!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I agree with MLB - its simply a matter of increasing your mileage and taking the time to train properly ... its doable though. I dont find them too much harder than 10Ks except I enjoy the longer runs alot more!
  • erinlindsay
    Options
    youll be able to run it no problem! just keep up the training, if you can run for 1 hour, you can run for 2... its ALL mental... completely mental. i was completely out of shape, trained for 1 month and rain the entire time
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to get ready for a half marathon. Just find a training program that works for you and stick with it. A lot of the programs just have you train to 10 miles. I like to train to 12 or 13 for a half. Otherwise I mentally crash around mile 10. When I'm confident that I have 13 miles in me, I don't seem to get that mental breakdown.
  • angeleyes13
    Options
    Hi,
    I am training someone at the moment who is a beginner and who wants to be able to do a (slow) half marathon in 8 weeks.
    We are doing 2 runs a week and a longer run at the weekend. We are in week four and we are doing 2 4 mile runs this week (with a rest day in between, and walking/cycling as cross training). At the weekend we are increasing out long run by 1 mile (so this weekend we will be doing 7 miles - we did 6 last weekend).
    I have done one marathon in the past and several half marathons and you're right, it is about mentally preparing. I have to say I get really bored on long runs - I am naturally about a 2/3 miler at a faster pace. I too did the marathon for charity.
    I think you will be able to do a half marathon without a problem - just be kind to yourself with you ankle and 'break it down' into 1/4 or 1/3 rather than the psychological 'I have soo far to go'. I am not a fast runner and I was told that one jelly baby is enough carb/sugar to for one mile - and that worked with all my long races!! (I didn't use any energy drinks, just water).
    Sorry for the looong reply, but hope it helps - good luck, you'll do great!!! A
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump! Great advice. I'm doing my first half-marathon next March & am really excited. : )
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    More is relative to what you have done before. If you can run 10K now you should have no problem easily running a half marathon in Sept. What you need to do is a long run about every two weeks. Make it a km or two longer each time until you are able to do around a 15 mi/24 km run around three weeks before the event. By that time, the distance will not seem long at all. The rest of the week just do easy runs 2 to 4 times a week of 5 to 10K with an occasional speed day built in if you want.

Finishing the distance is not about mental strength but rather about doing the training over the months leading to the event.

Doing the training consistently is where the mental strength comes in.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can only run while my youngest is in nursery, so getting 2 hour sessions in is hard, and going to be even harder over the summer when both children are off school!