Do you have back fat?

Options
OK, I know this is gross and it is by far my biggest insecurity, but I was wondering what exercises I can do that will work away my “back fat?” I am definitely one of those chicks that has disgusting “rolls” (eewww I hate to even type that) that I hide well with my clothing.

I am doing cardio now, but I need to start to incorporate something that is going to slim it.

Thank you

Replies

• boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    posted about the same thing yesterday...only i specified mine as on my side...but i do have it back there as well....and ewwwww...is the same way i feel about mine.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Mine is all gone! YAY! I do tons of cardio and ab training
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Exercises to Get Rid of Back Fat
    Text size: A A | Post a comment | Print This Article has been added to your favorites. View your profile
    Back fat is a common complaint. The first priority is to lose the fat that covers the muscles in the back. Daily aerobic exercises such as running, jumping rope and biking are effective ways to rid your body of overall fat. Swimming is also an effective cardio workout, plus you get the added benefit of working the muscles in your back. In addition, certain strength building exercises can tone the back muscles, giving it a sleek and sculpted appearance that will appear as you slim down.

Back Extensions
    You can do back extensions on an exercise ball or on the floor. On the floor, lie on your stomach with your legs straight out behind you and your hands clasped behind your head. Push your abs into the ground and slowly lift your chest off the ground. Keep your head up and hips and legs on the ground. Hold this position for a count of three, lower and repeat for three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions each. On an exercise ball, the exercise is the same, except you keep your stomach on the ball and your feet on the floor.

Breast Stroke
    This exercise is similar to the breast stroke in swimming. Lying on your stomach, put your arms straight out in front of you and your legs straight out behind. Lift your legs and upper body up, so the only thing touching the ground is your hips. Make small kicks with your feet, as if you are swimming and pull your elbows back towards your ribs. Extend your arms straight out in front again. This completes one repetition. Continue for three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions each.

Bent-Over Row
    With a dumbbell in one hand, bend over and rest your other hand on a bench. The arm with the dumbbell should be straight down towards the floor. Keeping your back flat, raise the dumbbell up toward your chest and slowly lower back down toward the ground. That is one repetition. Continue for three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions on both sides.

Pull-Ups
    Complete pull-ups with a grip facing you. The goal is to use your upper body and back muscles to pull your body up and get your chin above the bar. That is one repetition. Start with three sets of one to two repetitions and continue to add more as your strength increases. Beginners can do jumping pull-ups where your toes skim the ground and help you jump back up. Advanced progressions include the pull-up with your grip facing away from you, and a wide-armed grip where your hands are further out on the bar. All variations effectively work the back muscles.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/24557-exercises-rid-back-fat/#ixzz1IgFNobMz
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I definitely did have some. I think larger busted girls tend to. I have found just doing a lot of weights and upper body exercise has helped.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You will have to reduce your overall bodyfat. Swimming and Yoga will really help with it though.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: lose fat and build muscle. Eventually it will come off, just not necessarily where we want it to first.
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have on your body the quicker your metabolism will work, which means the faster you will lose fat...

you cant spot reduce fat,... but you can spot build muscle... so my suggestion is to start building those muscles all up and down your back.
  • rhonda1981
    rhonda1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio. They say that low impact workouts are suppose to burn fat. I would also include some abdominal excerises and strength training. Those last two things have helped decrease the amount of back fat and side fat around my ab area.
  • RiiNaCHiiCK09
    RiiNaCHiiCK09 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i have that problem too. i have big breats, upper back fat, nd small butt =P
    its ridiculous
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    Ugh....I hate my back fat more than ANYTHING!!! Anytime I have asked this question I have been told cardio, cardio and more cardio. Need to burn the fat. Not sure if this is correct. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    One arm dumbell rows and lat pulldowns will help build and tighten those mid back muscles and help get rid of the "bra fat". :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I am the back fat QUEEN! ugh. :grumble:
  • gamecockmama
    Options
    Cardio is going to be your best option for burning fat! Jillian says it on the 30 Day Shred - you have to burn the fat before you can work on toning the muscle. I had the same problem with my back before I lost my weight, and cardio (along with a 1200 calorie diet) helped me get rid of it. I didn't have to do any special strength exercises or anything... just 30 minutes of cardio a day.
  • Diet_Hell
    Diet_Hell Posts: 34
    Options
    Uugh, I have terrible back fat.

Unfortunately you can't pick & choose where the weight comes off of. We've just got to keep losing weight.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Mine has shrunk a lot from doing cardio,
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Mine went away in the natural course of losing weight in general. It used to really bum me out, so I know what you mean. Keep up the exercise and calorie control, it'll go away over time. All I've done is walk, but I now have pretty impressive muscle definition in my back. Unexpected happy result!!
  • amarie36
    amarie36 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have it!!! BUT, I looked in the mirrror last week and said to myself, "Damn, some of my back fat is gone!" I have been doing LOTS of cardio to lose weight as a whole. Also I recommend pole classes. Its fun and it strengthens you upper body. EXCELLENT workout!
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio and lots of patience. It will come off with time if you stick with a healthy diet and exercise. I had the same thing, but I'm happy to say it's disappearing. I use to actually feel it jiggling when I would work out, it drove me nuts! Now I have to do some serious jumping to be able to feel what's left. You could add some strength training like rows, plank rows, rear delt flys, back extensions with a lat pull (when you're up bring your elbows back & squeeze the shoulder blades towards each other) and those ones where you're under a bar and you pull yourself up like a backward pushup (sorry, can't think of what they're called) then when the back fat is gone you'll have nice toned muscles in it's place. So my advice is to just keep going with the cardio and healthy eating. Good luck to you!!
  • ItsAsha
    ItsAsha Posts: 78
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses!!
    I was hoping maybe somebody had a special secret to get rid of it. lol :sad:

I'll stick to cardio. I'm going to start jumping rope in the am before i go to work...hopefully that will help shrink it.