Ill Fitting Clothes

Options
Pretty much all my clothes are way too big, And yes it is a beautiful thing to know that all your hard work is finally paying off, but this leaves me frantically searching for something decent to wear to work every morning! Only thing that seems to still fit okay are my jeggings and even a few of them look more like jeans then jeggings now!

I don't wanna buy any new clothes just yet because I'm still trying to lose at least another 20lbs. Just curious what other people did when they reached this level it's kind of hard to show off the new you when your clothes fit you like crap!

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Drag out the sewing machine or find a friend with one and start taking in seams.
  • Lasa797
    Lasa797 Posts: 13
    Options
    I buy my clothes at thrift stores. I can usually find a lot of new items too. I don't feel guilty buying a pair of jeans or a blouse for $5. It is so affordable that I can go clothes shopping every week!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I have done a few thing I bought a couple of elastic skinny jeans since they stretch they fit me longer and well Im not picky so I went to freecycle.com and posted the size of jeans I needed so I can get some used ones at least till I get to my goal weight!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    black yoga pants and a nice blouse and a denim jacket or something with a little stretch in it. I think it is important to talk about what your dress code is like.
  • debbieemmett
    Options
    know how you feel, but im lucky in the way of having to wear a uniform for work although had to buy smaller size trousers but the shirts work pay for and ive ordered a smaller size in those...yesterday i gave in and brought some new clothes, such a great feeling being able to buy clothes and not trying them on first.....its all very costly though, but so worth it.... :happy:
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I like to refashion old clothes and turn it into something cute! Especially if the material is too nice to throw out.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add for those that dont mind used clothes. Freecycle.com is I believe nationwide. You visit the website and pick your area. People are only allowed to post or ask for stuff from people that are willing to give up and no longer need. There is absolutely no charge. See it as a place to post stuff after a spring cleaning and knowing what would have been in the garbage possibly was usefull to someone else. You can post "Offer" and "Wanted" adds for any type of item.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    black yoga pants and a nice blouse and a denim jacket or something with a little stretch in it. I think it is important to talk about what your dress code is like.

I work in a office so it's more business casual except for Fridays!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    I buy my clothes at thrift stores. I can usually find a lot of new items too. I don't feel guilty buying a pair of jeans or a blouse for $5. It is so affordable that I can go clothes shopping every week!

This isn't a bad idea I'll have to shop around and find a good one!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    Just wanted to add for those that dont mind used clothes. Freecycle.com is I believe nationwide. You visit the website and pick your area. People are only allowed to post or ask for stuff from people that are willing to give up and no longer need. There is absolutely no charge. See it as a place to post stuff after a spring cleaning and knowing what would have been in the garbage possibly was usefull to someone else. You can post "Offer" and "Wanted" adds for any type of item.

Ive' never heard of this before but I'm excited to check it out! Thanks for the info!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I did this recently - I dropped a couple sizes but not far enough to fit into the smaller sized jeans I had stashed in the back of the closet.
    So I went to Goodwill and bought several pair of jeans in the in-between size. When these become too large (I hope anyway) I think I will just donate them back to Goodwill.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    Drag out the sewing machine or find a friend with one and start taking in seams.

I should of paid more attention in Home Economics I can't sew a lick! LOL
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i go to a 2nd hand store every time i drop some wt and save my $ for when i hit my goal and really go shopping!! plus shopping at the 2nd had allows me to try diff name brand clothes. i bring home, wash then try them on. if the dont fit right, im only out $2-$3. i donate old clothes (bigger ones) to my local goodwill. it's pretty cool to try diff style clothes too, maybe something a little more hip than my jeans and hoodie favorites. again, if i dont like it, im not out a bunch of money.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I wear scrubs, so just started buying the draw string scrubs. sure they are baggy and shapeless but aren't most scrubsLOL and with the tie string least they don't fall down. have a couple pair of elastic waist one , they are a very comfortable material so hate to give them up, but cannot but ANYTHING in the pockets or they start sliding down.. its a good thing though
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are definitely the best option. You have to be patient when you're looking through the racks, but I have found some great items for only a few dollars. If you don't find something you like, you can always go back in a day or two because the selection will be different. Don't forget stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc. They sometimes have great deals on clothes, as well.
  • bmj1985
    bmj1985 Posts: 32
    Options
    How about a couple cute basic dresses? I can usually find some at Target or TJ Maxx for $20 or so and it is always easy to throw a belt on them when they start to get a little too large. Easy to put a blazer over them too to switch up your look. That's my plan when my pants start getting too big or for when I'm in between sizes.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As I was losing weight after surgery I did a few things.

1. I would buy one pair of basic pants and one pair of jeans that fit well. I then paired with shirts....shirts tend to last longer because you can cynch those bad-boys! As you lose weight....show off that figure! I loved when I could get a couple of different belts and put on a shirt over a cami, belt it and then it looked great!

2. Thrift stores are wonderful. You may have to search a bit but you can find some great things that have been worn very little

3. This time of year....garage sales!

4. a good taylor can take in a few things for you for just a few dollars and stretch their use as well
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar struggle. Clothes that I bought not very long ago are embarrassingly big and I'm having a hard time getting ready for work because of it. I bought a couple of pairs of pants 3 weeks ago and now they're too big. I can't afford to keep buying clothes just for a few weeks, and I never seem to have much luck at the thrift stores (but I think I'm going to try going to one in a "ritzier" neighborhood for better quality options).

Weight loss - the gift and the curse :-)