Attempt At Creating My Own Circuit Training Routine

Options
I used to do The 30 Day Shred DVD, and while it was effective and challenging, I just didn’t like it enough to continue past 3 weeks. That was last summer. Since then I’ve done some resistance circuit training, but not a lot.

I decided to add circuit training back to my routine, so I came up with my own. I guess a benefit of developing my own circuit training routine is that I can focus on certain muscle groups on certain days, that way I'm not working the same muscle group too many days in a row and they have their recovery time.

I sort of follow the 3 2 1 format on the 30 Day Shred, but I varied mine up a bit different. Check it out and let me know what you think!

CIRCUIT TRAINING ROUTINE #1 (focusing on Chest, Biceps, Triceps)

5 min. Warm Up

Circuit 1:
Push-Ups
Bicep Curls
Jump Rope (90s)
Chest Press
Overhead Triceps
Skater Jumps (90s)
Plank Twists (1 min)

Circuit 2:
Chest Flys
Tricep Extentions
High Knees (90sec)
Push-Ups
Bicep Curls
Mountain Climbers (90s)
Crunches Twist(1min)

Circuit 3:
Push-Ups
Overhead Triceps
Butt Kicks (90s)
Bicep Curls
Chest Press
Jumping Oblique Twists(90s)
Reverse Crunches (1min)

Circuit 4:
Tricep Extentions
Biceps
Jump Rope(90s)
Chest Flys
Push-Ups
Skater Jumps(90s)
Plank Twists(1min)

Circuit 5:
Push-Ups
Overhead Triceps
Butt Kicks(90s)
Chest Press
Bicep Curls
Jumping Oblique Twists(90s)
Crunches (1min)

Stretch Cool Down

In each circuit there’s about 3 min. of Strength, 3 min. of Cardio, and 1 min. of Abs. (strength harder to calculate due to counting number of reps per move as opposed to seconds spent on each move).

That’s a 35 min. Circuit Training Routine (excluding warm up and cool down time).

Replies

• jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Looks tough check out Zuzana at bodyrock.com she has some great stuff.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think if it works for you...go for it!! Jillian Michaels "Trouble Zones" DVD is a great work out as well!!
  • alexjh1990
    Options
    @jaybaileys: I'll be sure to check that out!! Thanks for the suggestion!
    @ubabe1: I've heard that was amazing. Next time I'm out and have some extra $ I'll see if I can find it!

I just got done with my circuit training routine and it worked out pretty well. As with any exercise you sometimes have to shape it to fit you, so I think I'm going to have to make some adjustments.

For starters, halfway through I decided to add some compound strength moves: squats with bicep curls as opposed to just bicep curls. I definitely need to Google a variety of different strength moves using resistance bands, and tons of more compound strength moves to break the monotony that may come with time.
    I also decided that instead of having a full 90sec of just one cardio move, I'll take the two cardio moves designated for that particular circuit and split the 90sec between them each time the cardio portion comes around. (That's more along the lines of how Jillian does it in her 30DS anyway).
    I also need to find some more ab moves- I love the plant twists, reverse crunches, and crunch twists- but I think I'd like to add in some more plank related ab moves (may steal some ideas from Bob Harper's Ab portion of his yoga DVD)

I'll sit down tonight and try to come up with a Circuit Training Routine that focuses on Legs, Back, and Shoulders :))))

All suggestions are much appreciated. Also, feel free to steal whatever you'd like from my routines and tweak it to fit yourself! Just let me know how you like them!