What's considered exercise...

Options
So my full-time job is sitting at a desk. So when I set up my account that is how I set up my normal activity. However, one or two nights a week I serve at Buffalo Wild Wings and it gets crazy busy! I'm speed walking everywhere I go. I know I'm burning more calories on the nights I work than if I were to just hang out at home, so can I log in all of that extra walking under exercise?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set to sedentary, then I'd say log that as exercise. It's above and beyond what you do on a typical day when you're just at your desk/sitting at home.
  • Gossamer5
    Gossamer5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also have a 2nd job that is about 2 hours of constant walking but I don't configure it into my activities or exercise. I figure it's an added bonus. I do enter any extra stuff I do not do regularly though.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No because you do it all the time and your body is used to it. If regular work is low activity and you combine with this, normal seems ok for activity level.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would. Walking sure counts as exercise and I'm sure you are on the go go go when serving Buffalo Wild Wings! Shoveling snow is listed as exercise, so I've claimed that as my workout plenty this winter. Same with playing wii sports. If I'm hangin' with friends and we strike up some wii bowling, I log it as exercise. =) So I say go for it!
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think that that is up to you. For me, if I do something that is of significantly higher physical effort than I do in my normal activities than I log it is exercise. For example, I just spent three hours of heavy physical labor in my garden over the weekend so I logged that. But, I did a three mile political march (that was at a pretty slow pace) so I didn't log that. Did I burn more calories than sitting at my desk? Yes, but I didn't feel for me that it was significant enough to log in. The key in that sentence being "for me". : )
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I would log it, cause its more than your set activity level!

Some people have differing opinions on what is exercise and what is just day to day activity. But I think if your activity level is set to sedentary you should log everything, cause there might come a point where you feel you need to up your calorie intake to compensate!
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think there are different kinds of exercise. I usually only log gym hours. I think most people think exercise is if your in the gym burning cals or walking or running outside, BUT if your heart rate is getting elevated from this running around at work that you're doing you're burning calories log it in. I was walking around town with a friend after dinner last night for about 90 minutes. I logged it. Though I get 'exercise' in the gym everyday. As long as this isn't your only form of exercise, I say log it.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set to sedentary, then I'd say log that as exercise. It's above and beyond what you do on a typical day when you're just at your desk/sitting at home.

I agree with you : )

2639362.png
  • chris6662006
    Options
    I am a gardener which is a fairly physical job which I can do for sometimes 8 hrs in a day this may include cutting up to 15 good size lawns in one day do I discount this completely or ???????????
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I would not log it, but I don't log cleaning, grocery shopping and every day things like a lot of people do either... I just feel that's not getting my heart rate up to where I wuold need it to burn fat.. so don't enter it... I would suggest leaving it at sedetary as this is what your doing most of the time, and then adding the waitressing part in later... but not the entire shift, as you are't moving around 100% of the time.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I judge exercise by two things

When I am doing it, am I sweating or breathing hard, and is my heart rate elevated?

or when I wake up the next morning am I sore...

If you experience any of these I would consider it exercise... if you don't then I wouldn't log it... it is better to Underestimate your calories burned, than over estimate and over eat.
  • EmicaL
    EmicaL Posts: 31
    Options
    Some people say to log only 1/2 the time...

but I log all walking over 60min. If I'm out strolling the mall or at the grocery store. That is more than I do sitting at home with my baby.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I got a heart rate monitor and I wear it when I am doing something that I know is enough exercise to put my heart rate in the zone. I would recommend one with a chest strap. They are easily concealed under a shirt. That would be the most accurate way to tell exactly how much you are burning when you work those crazy shifts. My monitor is a Polar T4....it cost around $60. I hope this helps.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You're moving. You're heart rate is up. You're breaking a sweat. LOG IT.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Waiting tables is great exercise! If you only do it a couple of days a week I'd log it. I switched from an office job to waiting tables and lost about 50lbs in 2 months just from the amount of exercise I was getting, unfortunately when I got another office job I gained most of it back :( But log it, its one of the best work outs there is!
  • ifrog3n1
    ifrog3n1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I read this thread this morning & thought about it as i was shopping at Michael's & Hobby Lobby for supplies for my craft business. I too sit the majority of the time & paint. When i go shopping, i time myself & enter half that time. I figure, i'm walking half the time & standing half the time. Any activity is movement & that's my goal at this point is to move more.

I have waited tables before & it IS exercise. So what's the difference if you go on a very brisk walk twice a week, or wait table twice a week?

Just my opinion. =)