The pill - making me put on weight!?

Options
I've just started the pill and my weight seems to have increased - not byt a huge amount, but enough to make me swear at the scales in the morning :-P i sure hope this goes away soon!
I'm also so much hungrier since i've been on it, and a lot more prone to weak moments. Bad times!

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Birth Control Side Effects

Hormonal birth control pills will never be prescribed to females suffering from underlying medical conditions like liver cirrhosis, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and tumors, cancers in general and more specific of cervix or breast tissues, to those having clotting defects of any kind or those having genetic predisposition for rheumatoid arthritis etc.

Side effects are common after starting the pill as the body tries to initially adjust to increased estrogen and progesterone levels, most of these side effects transient and go away after the body recalibrates itself to the change in hormonal levels commonly observed side effects are:

Having a constant feeling of nausea

Morning sickness

Irregular menstrual cycles

Loose bowel and bloating

Mood swings

Palpitation

Depression (in rare cases)

Irregular vaginal discharges and increased susceptibility to infections as the changes in hormonal levels affect the endometrial tissue in a deleterious manner.

Tenderness of breasts

Loss of libido

Hypertension and changes in the lipid profiles

Increased fluid retention attributing on some level towards weight gain

Decreased calcium retention in kidneys leading to bone loss and osteoporosis

Hair and follicular changes are also seen.

---

Try increasing your water intake for a month while you get use to the pill
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I would say It maybe the Pill if your eating was clean and you were not over eating sugars. Remember even when it isfruits and your trying to loose weight too much of a good thing will hold you back. I would clean up your eating add more veggies lean proteins and try that. Too many people blame meds before trying other avenues
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Birth Control Side Effects

Hormonal birth control pills will never be prescribed to females suffering from underlying medical conditions like liver cirrhosis, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and tumors, cancers in general and more specific of cervix or breast tissues, to those having clotting defects of any kind or those having genetic predisposition for rheumatoid arthritis etc.

Side effects are common after starting the pill as the body tries to initially adjust to increased estrogen and progesterone levels, most of these side effects transient and go away after the body recalibrates itself to the change in hormonal levels commonly observed side effects are:

Having a constant feeling of nausea

Morning sickness

Irregular menstrual cycles

Loose bowel and bloating

Mood swings

Palpitation

Depression (in rare cases)

Irregular vaginal discharges and increased susceptibility to infections as the changes in hormonal levels affect the endometrial tissue in a deleterious manner.

Tenderness of breasts

Loss of libido

Hypertension and changes in the lipid profiles

Increased fluid retention attributing on some level towards weight gain

Decreased calcium retention in kidneys leading to bone loss and osteoporosis

Hair and follicular changes are also seen.

---

Try increasing your water intake for a month while you get use to the pill

Jeez I think I'd just rather have a kid.

JOKING!!!!
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    up your water intake...might help definitely wont hurt
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    According to my ob, birth control shouldn't make you gain weight. The average weight gain on the pill is 3 pounds a year, the same as the average weight gain off the pill. Of course, that's just an average, there are some women who gain nothing and some who gain 15 pounds. But, it doesn't have to happen as long as you stick with a healthy diet, drink lots of water and get some exercise.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ^ That is to say, the pill increases appetite, doesn't make you gain weight.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think the pill helped me loose weight...but my hormones were messed up bc of PCOS...so i dunno
  • purplehaze12
    Options
    i started gaining when i started the pill, but i don't know exactly why. a few weeks after starting the pill i started having some depression and anxiety (which i wonder if it was linked to the hormones, as nothing really life changing happened at that point and i was actually extremely happy!) and at that point i found myself eating more. so i gained, but it was more from more cravings and hunger than purely from the pills i think! i will be excited to go off of them haha...hopefully surprise pounds will slip off?
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Im on nuvaring and love it. Suppose to have very little hormones I have continued to loose weight without a problem. This is my 2nd month on it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Most women I know on birth control, especially the patches, have complained about putting on about 10 pounds that they can't seem to lose no matter how hard they try. You can add me to the list, too. I just went back on them about four months ago and, sure enough, a few pounds came along with it. But on the bright side, my skin has cleared up almost entirely!

I've been taking some sort of oral BC on and off (mostly on) for nearly 30 years. The weight gain is one of those things you just have to accept if you decide to continue using them, because most medications are going to carry some sort of side effect. I've found that some are better at clearing up acne, reducing the duration, reducing the flow, relieving back aches, mood swings, etc. The good news is, if you don't like the side effects of the ones you're taking, you can have your doctor switch you to a different brand until you find one that works best for you.