Need Low*er* carb food ideas

Options
Hi everyone!

I am thinking of switching up my carb consumption--I seem to be at a stand-still with my weight, and I eat really cleanly and low calorie already, so I'm trying to get some ideas for some lower carb foods. Also, I recently watched "fathead" and I'm thinking I need to up my saturated fat intake. I have a lovely jar of coconut oil that I haven't used, and I know it's got those good fats in it. Anyway, I could just use some tips--I'm aiming for no more than 100g of carbs a day, and around 1200 calories a day. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Avocados! They have lots of good fat and fiber- fiber doesn't count towards "net carbs". I use it to make tuna salad ( in lieu if mayo)- with tuna, hot sauce, and diced bell pepper.

I eat lots of veggies, raw and cooked. Nuts are great- especially almonds and macadamias.
    Cheese sticks and hard boiled eggs are also great snacks.
    If you really are craving pasta (or have a fiance who always wants to eat pasta), Dreamfields brand tastes the same as regular and only has like 5 net carbs.
  • jennyph2006
    jennyph2006 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    Bump
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello! I recently watched the "big fat fiasco" video done by the same guy and then watched fathead. I totally agree with everthing he said and since have changed my eating habits. I have lowered my carbs to under 100, protein up to 100 and have my cals set at 1200. I had to really look for recipes to replace what I eliminated, I didn't want to feel like I was deprived. I now substitute spaghetti sqaush for pasta, and mashed cauliflower for potatoes. I will try to add some links to the sites I found recipes.

http://thisprimallife.com/ <
    great recipes like the primal sandwich (alternative to bread), and an eggplant pizza crust!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ <---- this site, go to freebies and get the user created cookbook-full of awesome recipes!

Not sure why but I also stalled when I went to lower carb but noticed today I was down 2.5 pounds so hopefully it starts coming off again! Good luck!!
  • APauska
    APauska Posts: 8
    Options
    I have two things that I love to eat that are super low in Carbs:

<b>Guac & Roll:</b>
    1. 1 can (6 ounces) light oil-packed tuna
    2. 2/3 cup Guacamole
    3. 1/4 cup Chopped tomatoes
    4. 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
    5. 1 tablespoon Light mayonnaise
    6. 1 teaspoon Ground flaxseed
    7. 2 Low Carb Pita's

Mix first 6 in a bowl together like you would a tuna salad mix. Then stuff the pitas (depending on your daily calorie intake you'd either be making enough for a few meals or one meal, its if a few, then you can wrap them because the lemon juice prevents the Guac from turning brown). You can add cayenne pepper if you want a little kick.

<b>Salmon Cakes:</b>
    1. A few wheat thins
    2. Canned Salmon
    3. Egg Whites

Put a few wheat thins in a coffe grinder or similar to grind them down. Put canned salmon in a bowl and add egg white. (sort of like making a hamburger). Once the egg white and salmon are mixed add the wheat thins and pound into patties (the wheat thins act as bread crumbs). Cook on a skillet and season as desired.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies, especially the dark green ones, are low in carbs: cucumbers, celery, bell peppers, romaine lettuce, cabbage and of course, avocado. Also try flax meal. It has almost zero net carbs, lots of fiber and Omega-3s. I make a muffin from flax meal almost every morning and it leaves me satisfied for hours so I don't need to snack before lunch. I can't wait to get my cholesterol tested again this summer because I know that alone is helping a lot.

For lunch I'll often have tuna, chicken or egg salad (just the item plus mayo) and eat it with celery sticks (instead of bread or crackers) and a big romaine or spring mix salad with cucumbers and blue cheese crumbles and Newman's oil & vinegar dressing.

Dinner is usually some sort of protein and veggies on the side. You can bread the chicken, pork or fish in almond flour instead of bread crumbs for only a few carbs. I spread spicy brown mustard on the meat with a basting brush and then dredge it in the flour. It has a lot of flavor. You can also add (this will sound weird!) crushed up pork rinds to the flour if you like a bit more crunch.

For snacks, veggies, of course, but there are also a lot of good sugar free sweets out there with few net carbs. Sugar alcohols don't count toward net carbs.

In addition to the other websites posted, you can check out the Atkins site for some great low carb recipes: http://www.atkins.com/Recipes.aspx

Good luck!

*Edited to add the Atkins link.
  • jooge75
    jooge75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles!! The taste and texture are the same as rice noodles but zero calories and zero carbs. They are made from yam root. You find them at Asain markets. They are packed in water in the cold section. My new favorite! They pick up any flavor you cook them with.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. Check out marksdailyapple.com for more good food ideas for eating lower carb. I've been keeping my carbs <100 g for almost 2 months. The weight is coming off easily, I'm enjoying what I'm eating, and not feeling deprived at all.
  • margielewis
    margielewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I found a great low-carb cook book online at www.ifafitness.com/health/hlcr.pdf. You may find something there- even breads and cookies. The title is 300 Healthy + Tasty Low Carb Recipes. Also, I'm new so I couldn't figure out how to share recipes but you might like what I had for dinner - Here's the recipe for Generic- Baked Salmon in Dijon and Dill Sauce (I've added the nutrition information so you should be able find it.)
    Ingredients (4 servings of 4oz total)
    1 cup fat-free sour cream
    2tsp dried dill
    3 tbsp green onion or scallion finely chopped
    2 tbsp dijon mustard
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1/12 lb salmon filet with skin
    1/2 tbsp garlic powder (or equiv)
    1/2 tsp pepper
    fat free cooking spray.
    Preparation: Whisk together sour cream, dill, onion, lemon juice and mustard. Pre-heat oven to 400 f; spray baking sheet and place salmon skin side down. Sprinkle with garlic and pepper and then spread sauce over the top. Bake for about 20 minutes.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump