Sodium - Thou are NOT My Pal

Options
dshalbert
dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
This morning really left me scratching my head. I was 2 lbs down on Saturday and was celebrating the fact that I finally seemed to have broken through this seemingly never ending plateau. I did not record the loss because I wanted to make sure that I could maintain the weight for a few days. I jumped on the scale this moring and low and behold, I had gained 4 lbs in 3 days. Now that would have typically sent me over the edge . .you know, that whole "this doesn't work", "what's the point", "I'm just meant to be overweight" Blah, blah. But I also knew that I had run almost 3 miles during this period and had done some strength training AND had gone to two birthday parties and eaten God know's what (well I know what, 'cause I recorded it). So when I looked at the sodium count of what I had eaten . . WOW. Even though I only went over my calories one day by 300, WHAT I ate did, in fact matter. My water intake was low as well. What I had eaten even affected my mood and not in a good way.

So today, I have upped my water consumpition, ate correctly and hopefully I will flush away those pounds. I feel so much better already. That's why I love MFP. It gives me the tools to really evaluate what going on.

Has anyone's else's weight gone wonky because of temporary high sodium intake? How long did it take to correct itself?

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I just made a post about the CRAZY sodium in cottage cheese.

We'll conquer this!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Every Monday! I chose not to behave on the weekends....:drinker:
  • allen83
    allen83 Posts: 17
    Options
    I find that get an extra 2 - 3 pounds pretty regularly I'm never over my calorie goal but I often eat prepackaged meals/foods like sausages/low calorie TV dinners sure they're low calorie but they're ridiculously high in sodium. I find it usually takes 3 - 4 days to leave my system and as a result I find myself weighing myself every morning, sometimes I'll find myself at my low/proper weight on wednesday and sometimes it's on sunday. I try staying under 2500 mg of sodium a day but find that ridiculously difficult to do.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    absolutely!

every once in awhile i treat myself to a pasta dish at a restaurant...(yes, i know the sodium and calories etc beforehand and do budget it into my plan for the day).
    But... having it always takes me right to top of my sodium limit for the day (mine is set at 1500) and everytime i go that high (i usually average 900- 1200 in sodium more often than not).. i end up retaining water for next day or two.

(so i try to never have that kind of meal within 2 days before i am weighing-in *LOL*)
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    BOOOO SODIUM! I feel your pain. :sad:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. A couple of days and it will be gone. The only good part about it is you know it is not actually fat, it is just water your body is holding on to.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. A couple of days and it will be gone. The only good part about it is you know it is not actually fat, it is just water your body is holding on to.

So true! I would have had eat a suprlus of something like 14,000 calories in three days for that to happen. I bodies like to keep us guessing . . .