Exercises to strengthen the knee

Options
I'm wanting to become a runner, but I have horrible problems with my knee. Anywho - I'm looking for exercises I can do that will strengthen my knee and help me to be less injury-prone and have minimal pain when I really get into running.

For anyone who is in the medical field I have chondromalacia of the patella, lateral tracking of the patella, and an osteochrondral defect. I had surgery 12 years ago (at the age of 14) and it did get rid of a lot of pain, I still have a considerable amount of pain (I'd say maybe 2-4 BAD days a month).. I've had pain ever since I could remember (my parents say about the time I started walking). Bad days are days where it hurts so bad I want to cry and I can barely walk. Moderate days I have maybe 4-6 a month and the rest is fine.

Any tips or exercises would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had similar problems. Did the doctor suggest cycling? I find it is very good for strengthening my knees, although starting off with very little resistance and concentrating on form and high cadence.

Best of luck.

GG
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Coming from someone who SUFFERS from horrrrrrible knee pain...the best exercises are: Walking, Swimming, Kayaking / Canoeing, Riding a bike...I hope that helped a lil :) Good luck!! ( I wanna become a runner too )..but w/ this extra weight on me..does NOT help!! One day I will be able to again :)
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and squats.

No really.

Not crazy heavy weight, but my knee pain has been all but eliminated in the past year of doing these.

Body weight squats would be fine in sets of 20 every couple of days to start out if you dont already do squats.
    Also lunges...

These exercises done right, wont stress your knee.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    When I blew my MCL, I did the following during PT:

Biking, leg presses, squats, leg extensions with weight, butt lifts...
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I had similar problems. Did the doctor suggest cycling? I find it is very good for strengthening my knees, although starting off with very little resistance and concentrating on form and high cadence.

Best of luck.

GG

Yea, I talked to some lady at the surgeon's office about an hour ago. She really tried to talk me out of running and suggested I do cycling and swimming instead.

But it's my dream to become a runner and I'm signing up for a 1/2 marathon in December and I realllly want to jog close to half of it by then.
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    Unfortunately, I consider myself somewhat of an expert on dealing with osteo knees :( My left knee has osteoarthritis from a basketball injury 27 years ago; lateral cartilage shattered and removed, chondromalacia patella. I continued living a very active life and recently it has decided to flare up. It turns out my stabilizing leg muscles had become weak, leading to patella tracking problems and pain (sometimes swelling). I have been to physio and my therapist gave me these exercises to strengthen the stabilizing muscles of the leg (I do them every day, and it takes 1 hour...I do it on both legs):

3 x hamstring stretch (30s)
    3 x 10 squats with a theraband above the knee
    3 x calf stretch (30s)
    3 x quad stretch (30s)
    3 x hip flexor stretch (30s)
    30 "monster walk" forward/30 monster walk backward (with theraband around ankles)
    3 x 10 "basketball" side steps with theraband around ankles, to right
    3 x 10 "basketball" side steps with theraband around ankles, to left
    3 x 40s plank
    3 x 30s "walking" bridge
    3 x 5 one-leg "birdie dips" (stand on one, leg, raise other leg out behind and bend down to touch the floor, come back up...without touching the raised leg to the floor)
    3 x 10 lunges
    10 x one-leg "step ups/downs" onto a small stool (taking the lift with the gluts, not the knee)
    10 two-leg squats with back against the wall
    10 one-leg squats with back against the wall
    roll the IT band on a roller (very painful)

It's a lot to do, but I really want to run again and I find I need these exercises to stabilize my knee. These work for me, but please make sure you've seen a physio who can determine how much of this you can/should be doing right way...I had to work up to this full set.

For running, I also need to have close control of my weekly distance and pace (otherwise my knee may not be able to handle it - ramp up SLOWLY). I cross train with swimming and cycling, which appear to be great on my knee (as long as I don't gear up to much too fast).

Sorry for the long-winded message...I hope this helps! The key is consistency, though...you really need to keep at it EVERY DAY for it to make a difference.

Good luck!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

@sftb - Sounds like we have the same knee almost! :laugh: I will try your suggestions in small amounts and build myself up.

I have an appointment to see a therapist today and I will ask her too what I can do to strengthen my knee so I can run.
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    Oh my, you are too young to have my knee!!! So....how did it go??? I hope what the therapist told you is helpful. Good luck with the rehab :happy: