Newbie with goal to lose fat and gain muscle

Options
While most want to lose weight (fat), I have a goal to also build muscle. I am 39 years old trying to get back into shape after a 15 year hiatus.

Is there anyone else out there with similar goals?

I started on the two goals back in September 2010. So far I have lost about 25 lbs and am at 264 lbs. My height is 5' 11". I would like to get to between 200 and 220 lbs.

However, since my second goal is to add muscle I can't just evaluate progress by weight alone. I don't know what my body fat percentage was when I started or what it is now but I definitely lost fat and gained muscle. My waist size was 42 and it is now about a 39. I'd like that to get be between 34 and 36.

My current schedule:

I take a protein shake (50gm) in the morning after a workout and in the evening before going to bed. I try to get as much protein as I can get, as close to 260 gm (to match my weight in pounds) but I find that I usually get to about 150 to 200. I try to eat no carbs in the evening and instead have whole grain carbs in the morning and at lunch.

I always eat breakfast and try to increase protein by adding egg whites when I eat eggs. I find that eating increased amounts of protein helps a lot with soreness after heavy lifting. I try to snack on vegetables and nuts through the day.

I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I'd like to make it 5 days a week but I have to wake up at 4:30am for a morning workout. So I do it on the weekend when I can wake up later and do as much as I can during the week which ends up being once or twice.

For the workouts I warm up for 5 min, do abdominals for 10 (very heavy, crunch 250 lbs), then do weight lifting for about 30 minutes. I brake it up by body part. Usually it's first workout day of the week is for chest, second day on shoulders and back, third day on legs and fourth day on arms. If I miss a day then I double up. I finish every workout with a 20 minute Cardio which consists of a brisk walk and running as much as I can (speed of 3.5 to 4.0).

I took some Creatine and Nitric Oxide for a few months and currently take Optimen vitamin and fish oil pills. I intend to cycle back on the Creatine or NO from time to time.

I did not lose much weight for the first few months which I think was because my calorie count was still high. I had hoped that the workouts would tip the balance of the calorie intake versus burn and help burn fat. That wasn't the case though. I started losing weight only after I replaced my dinners with vegetables and fruits. I cut out all the pop and fries during the week but do occasionally eat cake and some other bad foods on the weekend.

Right now the challenge for me is to increase the workout to be 4 to 5 times a week and also to increase the protein intake while still keeping calorie counts low enough to burn fat. I maxed out a lot of the machines at the small gym that I go to so I may need to upgrade to a gym that has some heavier stuff.

Again, if anyone else has a similar goal or if anyone has any suggestions or feedback please let me know. Thanks.

Replies

• jwillie92
    jwillie92 Posts: 10
    Options
    The only thing I can think of to help would be to do your 20 minutes of cardio first, because everything after that twenty minutes is fat burning, but you do have to get at least 20 minutes in. Protein helps sore muscles because it helps reapair lean body muscle. We should all do that after a tough workout. Not as much protein as you though.
    Also, too much protein can make your body store fat, so research online on how much protein is too much. You may be getting too much and it is backfiring.
    Good luck!!
  • dmaster555
    Options
    You can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. However, you can give the muscles you already have more definition by losing bodyfat.

To gain muscle, you have to go over your calorie maintenance. Anabolic Mode.

To lose fat, you have to go under your calorie maintenance. Catabolic Mode.

You can't do both at the same time, sorry.
  • atamas
    atamas Posts: 10
    Options
    jwillie92, thank you for the suggestion but I have researched the suggestion to do Cardio first quite a bit and concluded that it should be done at the end of a workout. I actually used to do it first to get it out of the way but changed after the research.

For my goals anyway, it appears to be better to do the weights first (actually after warming up), because at that time the body is strongest. And it has the natural sugar in the blood. It is best to spend that energy and sugar on the heaviest weights. Doing so achieves the muscle overload and strain which will require regeneration (i.e. growth).

Just as the energy is exhausted, and the sugar from the blood consumed, about 40 minutes into the workout, then I learned that it is best to switch from the anaerobic to the aerobic exercise (Cardio). In doing so, the body is just prepared perfectly to burn fat and a Cardio type of exercise is the right thing.

The Cardio at the end is supposed to be best if it is very intense, just enough to not run out of breath. But I will admit that I can't run for those last 20 minutes, I have yet to get to that level. I find that I can walk very fast, at a speed of 3.8 but if I start running even at the same fast speed of 3.8 I can only do it for 3 to 4 minutes then I have to slow down.

I have learned that it is very good to do Cardio when adding muscle. It helps to flush out toxins and it also forces blood to the muscles which brings them nourishment.

So it is a goal of mine to build up on Cardio and I think that that will come as I lose more fat.

Regarding too much Protein, I studied that as well and from what I can gather it's mostly a good thing. Professional bodybuilders take in 400 to 600 grams of protein a day. I've seen studies that Protein helps burn fat. One does however need fiber intake to be able to process Protein.

Again, I appreciate the information and hope that I do not come across snobby. Like I said, I've been at it for a few months and am still learning. Thanks again.
  • dmaster555
    Options
    The only thing I can think of to help would be to do your 20 minutes of cardio first, because everything after that twenty minutes is fat burning,

Don't listen to that nonsense. If you do long cardio first, your muscle workouts will suffer because you will have depleted your glycogen stores, which are important when lifting weights. Also, everything you burn from that will not be fat. Regardless, it doesn't matter if fat, or carbs are being used. What matters is the calories burned, in the end. Whether you burn 100 calories in fat, or other energy sources, the same amount of weight will be lost at the end of the week. Be aware if misinformed members on this forum, there are plenty.
  • dmaster555
    Options
    Also, too much protein can make your body store fat, so research online on how much protein is too much. You may be getting too much and it is backfiring.
    Good luck!!

As long as you stay in your calorie deficit, you will lose fat. Doesn't matter how much protein. Jwillie92=ignorant.
  • dmaster555
    Options
    Aim for 1gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or bodyweight, whichever you'd prefer.
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    I am 5' 11" 300 lbs. I am trying to lose weight and gain muscle also. I have been at this since October last year and find that my arms and chest are bigger and toned now. I only eat the protein amount recommended on here and I only eat about 2200 calories a day. To help with the soreness I stretch while working out. I work out for 2 hrs a day 6 days a week, but I have only been doing this for 2 weeks. I do 45 minutes cardio then I lift for 45 minutes and then cardio for 30. Its not easy but you are on the right path. I do think your protein is high though as your body will store it. Also how much water do you drink? I drink my weight in ounces of water helps to lose weight. I lost 35 but after knee surgery gained back 12. Here is a website that will help you determine your Body Fat percentage Good Luck http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    Here is a formula to help figure out your protein needs.
    1800 x .20 = 360 calories from protein. Since 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, divide protein calories by four:
    360/4 = 90 grams of protein per day.
  • atamas
    Options
    You can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. However, you can give the muscles you already have more definition by losing bodyfat.

To gain muscle, you have to go over your calorie maintenance. Anabolic Mode.

To lose fat, you have to go under your calorie maintenance. Catabolic Mode.

You can't do both at the same time, sorry.

dmaster555, I think it can be done although admittedly it won't be easy and I realize I won't be as effective as a professional bodybuilder who goes through a bulking phase and then a cutting phase before a contest. I don't intend to go to any competitions. There are some articles out there which show how to do it like this one http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm.

For some reason, if I put the effort to go to the gym, I can't just do it to lose fat and look like a normal guy, like a runner or someone who is naturally skinny without working out. I feel that if I go to the gym I must attempt getting something to show for it, like adding on some muscle.

It always cracks me up when I learn that someone is a gym rat and has nothing to show for it other than perhaps not being fat. Never mind the ones who are fat and go the gym regularly.

Anyway, it's not easy, I know I won't be Mr. Olympia by trying it, but I like the challenge of seeing how good I can be.
  • atamas
    Options
    I am 5' 11" 300 lbs. I am trying to lose weight and gain muscle also. I have been at this since October last year and find that my arms and chest are bigger and toned now. I only eat the protein amount recommended on here and I only eat about 2200 calories a day. To help with the soreness I stretch while working out. I work out for 2 hrs a day 6 days a week, but I have only been doing this for 2 weeks. I do 45 minutes cardio then I lift for 45 minutes and then cardio for 30. Its not easy but you are on the right path. I do think your protein is high though as your body will store it. Also how much water do you drink? I drink my weight in ounces of water helps to lose weight. I lost 35 but after knee surgery gained back 12. Here is a website that will help you determine your Body Fat percentage Good Luck http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

VictorinoDennis, it's great to see another person with similar goals to mine. I see that you spend more time in the gym than me. I'll try the body fat % calculation site later, I looked at it and it is asking for measurements but I don't have a tape measure at work.

Regarding Protein intake, I think that in order to build muscle one does need to take in more protein than what is recommended on this site and in typical nutrition guides. In my opinion, extra Protein is the difference between a regular goal to lose fat or get into shape and trying to add visible muscle (become muscular). Of course eating protein is not enough, one needs to overload the muscles through heavy lifting to trigger regeneration and growth. One also needs Fiber in the diet in order to be able to process Protein and plenty of rest.

My weight lifting is pretty simple and it came from one of Ron Coleman's videos. I do 4 to 5 sets of between 10 to 20 reps with about 80% of my max. The first set is lighter as a warm up. Then I go until failure with the goal to be as close to 20 as possible. If I fail at less than 10, I lower the weight. If I can go past 20 then I raise the weight. I used to do a lot more sets on each station until I saw Ron Coleman's video. I now find that it's a lot more fun, I don't feel stuck working one muscle for too long. As long as a muscle gets overloaded, it's done from that angle anyway. Then it's time to hit it from another angle.

The simple and most important point is to keep a good pace and form during the set. It should not be too slow and too fast. If you look at any of the Professional BodyBuilders working out on YouTube, you will notice that they do just that, a reasonably heavy weight with a solid good pace and good form usually until failure.
  • atamas
    Options
    A trainer at my gym told me it's better to do weight lifting first and then cardio. Otherwise you'll be too fatigue after cardio to do intense weight training.

Thanks JLopez, I agree. Before the morning workouts I started eating a slice of whole grain bread with a tablespoon of Olive Oil in order to give me energy. I try to eat little or no carbs after lunch so the hours during the evening and overnight drain my energy.

It's not helpful when I start shaking at the gym because I'm out of power. In fact it's counterproductive. I love the effect of Creatine when I cycle on it. It feels like I can push weights forever. Also, recovery is very quick, within 20 seconds I'm ready to go for another set. But one can't be on Creatine non-stop, it's bad for the kidneys and the body gets used to it.

Eating the one slice of bread before I leave for the gym gives me energy right when I need it and I also get the benefit of taking in good fats. I got the idea from Dr. Oz who suggested doing this when one is really hungry which will prevent them from overeating at the next meal.