What is really worth spending $$ on?

Options

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good shoes and sports bra.
    In my opinion, other stuff is a luxury but these are necessities!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I bougt a heart rate monitor half way into the effort. Best thing ever! I had a food scale already, which is essential. I spent money on Wii Zumba, Wi EA Sports Active Personal Trainer, and already had wii fit plus. At a discount store I got some Biggest Loser DVD's and they are WELL worth the money!! Work out clothes came after 30lbs lost, half way in. They were not necessary, except stretchy pants were helpful, and once I started walking instead of just DVD's I needed some comfortable shoes. I had a nordic track ski machine, if I had bucks I would buy a good treadmill from craigs list.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you get a HRM do get one with a chest strap. It's going to be up to $100 for one decent enough to have not wasted your money. I got one half price on e-bay Polar 7 and it was "new".
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    HRM definitiely - and agree with food scale also. And a good pair of shoes for working out.

For strength training - $25 or so will buy resistance tubes and give you everything you need.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Bicycle.
  • Balishdear
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor, but not for the reasons indicated. I used to be OCD about my heart rate when I had heart problems, but now, the batteries are dead and I have not touched the thing. I have come across an idea. Replace all your large plates with medium sized ones if your really aiming to control portions.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    1. Good shoes. Go get fitted at a runners store.
    2. A HRM. Mine is a New Balance from Target. LOVE it. It does have the chest strap
    3. A good bra. I'm STILL searching for this one, however.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like my kettlebells for strength training and cardio. Well worth the cash.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Scale that includes BMI and Fat %, it gives more feedback than just the weightloss.

+1. Ditch a weight scale and go for a good body fat/composition monitor like a Tanita. To be blunt, weight scales provide a single useless info. A body fat/composition monitor isn't the most accurate device, but at least it will paint a better, more informative picture of what's taking place with your body over time: body fat %, body water %, muscle mass and more in addition to weight.

Other items worth $$ IF you put them to use on a regular basis: medicine balls, resistance bands, BOSU trainer, TRX bands, jump rope
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I got a Suunto M4 heart rate monitor. I love it because not only does it measure your HR but it also plans how much exercise and at what level each week to loose your goal weight or to get to a goal fitness. it also does fitness tests.

It works pretty well as a watch too. So i get to wake up in the morning and it tells me if it is an exercise day or not and how long and how hard i should work out that day.

i totally recommend it.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I got a Suunto M4 heart rate monitor. I love it because not only does it measure your HR but it also plans how much exercise and at what level each week to loose your goal weight or to get to a goal fitness. it also does fitness tests.

It works pretty well as a watch too. So i get to wake up in the morning and it tells me if it is an exercise day or not and how long and how hard i should work out that day.

i totally recommend it.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    whatever gets you moving...right?
    i really do like my HRM - but i also love every other little gadget , gear or piece of clothing ( i might as well be sponsored by adidas and nike with all the 'sporty' stuff i wear!) -- so as much as i love the POLAR FT7 i also love my running shoes, my inline and ice skates, bike, iPhone fitness apps etc. etc. etc...
    so the short answer is YES a good solid HRM that will work for you for your specific activities is great -- but if you don't think you're going to use it -- it's not worth a cent
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I bought a FT7 using some discounted ebay gift cards, was able to get for about 1/2 price. :happy:
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a new scale with awesome reviews now looking for a great HRM.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The best purchase I made was a treadmill. Bought a nice used one from a friend for $200. It has worked WONDERFULLY for the last four years, and it was after beginning to use it (so I could walk in the winter) that people started noticing that I was losing weight.

I buy a new pair of good walking shoes every year, but should buy them MUCH more frequently if you follow the recommendations of buying new ones at certain mile intervals (like 300 or something....should be buying four pairs a year....can't afford that!)

Kaye
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My food scale, my HRM, and my regular scale have been really important tools for me in terms of accuracy.

For an HRM, I have the Polar FT7 (~$100). (FT4 is also great, I hear... just make sure if you get one it has a chest strap)

I got my food scale at Target for $25. Turns out I could have gotten it for cheaper on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Biggest-Loser-Kitchen-Platform/dp/B001DQOEIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302277262&sr=8-1

I have an Eat Smart scale that I bought on Amazon for $29 (free shipping). Someone on here recommended it to me: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299856839&sr=8-1
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I have the money for a multivitamin, fish oils, and joint support supplements.
    And protein powder.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    1. Good shoes. Go get fitted at a runners store.
    2. A HRM. Mine is a New Balance from Target. LOVE it. It does have the chest strap
    3. A good bra. I'm STILL searching for this one, however.

I can recommend the Freya sports bras, they're really good - I am an E cup and my Freya has pretty much eliminated ALL bouncing!! If you're in the UK check out www.lessbounce.com. Believe someone else has also mentioned Enell - they get pretty good reviews as well.

And on topic - best buys for me have been:

(1) Polar FT4 HRM - this one does have a chest strap. It's brilliant - definitely "my precious" LOL
    (2) Decent sports bra - for the first time ever - amazing difference!
    (3) 30 Shred and TurboFire DVD sets and some resistance bands

:smile:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I started this with no HRM and lost a couple of pounds the first few weeks. Then it slowed and I suspected that MFP was giving me way more exercise calories than what I was really burning. Then I bought P90X and started working that program. I knew that the 3,000 calories their nutrition program wanted me to eat was WAY over the top so after questioning a few people about how they did P90X and still managed to lose some weight I determined that I would need to figure out how many calories I was actually burning and then just stick to my MFP allowance plus calories burned.

Then my sweet husband bought me the HRM I wanted (and was going to ask for as a Mother's Day gift). I am a spreadsheet kind of girl so I plugged in all my weight loss by date and plotted my calories eaten/burned. I can look at that graph and tell you exactly when I bought my HRM based on the changed in how quickly my weight began coming off. So for me (one who does eat back my calories) the HRM is an invaluable tool. It's a far better estimator than me or MFP.

The other item is a scale. It is much more accurate than measuring by cup or counting pieces and keeps me accountable (no fudging it with a scale!)
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know the majority of people on MFP use and love Polar HRMs, but I have the Timex Personal Trainer T5G971, which was rated the best on Consumer Reports, and I LOVE it! It comes with a chest strap, watch (fits large wrists and has a great band to hold the extra piece of strap [does that make sense?]), and a couple instructional books to set it up and stuff. And you can change the battery yourself which I know you can't do with some of the Polars (have to send it in to the manufacturer). Around $50 in store, can get it for $35 online. I got the gel to put on the chest strap so it reads my heart rate more accurately and I've never had problems with it. I LOVE IT!

That said, I've never used a Polar so I can't speak to their functionality.

Good luck with the decision!