calories remaining

Options
MFP explain to me the calories remaining chart I dont understand the net thing

Replies

• KaseyWB
    KaseyWB Posts: 15
    Options
    Based on your weight loss goals MFP calculates your calories for the day. Your net calories are the calories you take in from food minus the calories you use from exercise. For example if your calorie goal for the day is 1500 you can eat 1500 calories worth of food. If you exercise and burn 200 calories MFP would like for you to eat the extra 200 calories so your "net" calories for the day remains around 1500. That is why at the bottom of food diary is says you have earned an extra ____ calories from exercise. MFP has already calculated the number of calories you need each day to lose weight. Exercise will help you reach your goal sooner. But you should not go below 1200 net calories a day. Anything less than 1200 net calories a day will increase the likelihood of metabolic shutdown and stall your weight loss goals.
  • Kristylarson
    Options
    Isn't it where you have say 2000 calories, eat 2200 calories but worked out and burned 300 calories so that gives you 100 calories remaining. I took it as if a person wanted they could eat the calories that they just busted their *kitten* to burn.. ha ha
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    it means that you aren't eating your exercise calories. You earned over 1000 calories from exercise today (go krystle!) but you only ate 1260 calories. That isn't enough to susutain the amount of exercise you are doing. From what I understand, continuing like that will send your body into starvation mode, and you won't much, or anything at all. I'm still a newbie here, and trying to figure it all out myself, but this is the way I understand things.
    Me for instance, So far today, I have eaten 1376 calories, but I exercised and burned 442 cals, so my body only thinks I have had 934 calories. My daily goal is 1200, and your NET should never be under that amount. Hope I didn't confuse you too much!
  • pchinow2000
    Options
    I seem to always be under my daily calorie intake because I work out and I don't want to shove food in at night just because I have a few hundred calories left but damn I am hungry. haha
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I seem to always be under my daily calorie intake because I work out and I don't want to shove food in at night just because I have a few hundred calories left but damn I am hungry. haha

If you work out consistently you can increase your meals over the course of the day and come out even by bed time. You won't be hungry, you'll have all your necessary nutrition and energy and you'll fuel your body more evenly and lose more weight.

I have 1520 as my general goal to lose 1 lb a week. I try to stick to the following formula - 3 meals of 400 calories and 3 snacks of 100 calories. I eat 6 times a day or roughly every 2-3 hours. If I exercise before dinner that means I can have a larger dinner or extra snacks if I need them. I don't eat just to eat unless it's early in the day because I can't function when my sugar level drops. Everyone is different but over the long term you will stop losing weight because your body will hold onto whatever energy you give it feeling like it's being deprived.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you... I only eat what I can and I just cant eat 2200 calories... I feel bloated and yucky if i ate that much