Newbie needs help meeting calorie goal

Options
HELP!! I am severely obese (6' tall, over 400 lbs). This means I need to eat 2310 calories a day, plus from what I'm reading anything I burn during my work outs. I'm very new to the site so I don't have much to go on yet, but I want to start off with the best chance of seeing some results so I don't get discouraged.
Yesterday- Ate 1958 calories- no exercise (352 left)
Today- Ate 1971- burned 418 at the gym (757 left)

I feel full most of the time, and don't want to get used to eating huge amounts of food for when I lose weight and need to eat less. Am I setting myself up for failure? Anyone have any suggestions on how I can meet my goals?

Thank you so much for all your help and advice!

Replies

• AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    :smile: you can add me if you would like.....i love encouraging people
  • dmaster555
    Options
    HELP!! I am severely obese (6' tall, over 400 lbs). This means I need to eat 2310 calories a day, plus from what I'm reading anything I burn during my work outs. I'm very new to the site so I don't have much to go on yet, but I want to start off with the best chance of seeing some results so I don't get discouraged.
    Yesterday- Ate 1958 calories- no exercise (352 left)
    Today- Ate 1971- burned 418 at the gym (757 left)

I feel full most of the time, and don't want to get used to eating huge amounts of food for when I lose weight and need to eat less. Am I setting myself up for failure? Anyone have any suggestions on how I can meet my goals?

Thank you so much for all your help and advice!

You don't have to eat all of your exercise calories. Especially at your weight, you can do without them, trust me. Those calorie calculations are inaccurate and OVERESTIMATE how much your burned. You're going to end up eating more than supposed to and never losing weight.
  • katebcastro
    Options
    You Can Do It!!Lets do it together..
  • adismum
    adismum Posts: 3
    Options
    i also don't eat my daily limit of 1200 (self set) but i also am full and satisfied, i'm quite happy eating smaller amounts and obviously its working ok as i'm only loosing slowly!
  • missgetinshape
    Options
    Shoot for anything high in fiber and protein! Some protein shakes will have lots of calories... not the Slim Fast or Special K though, haha. Are you eating about the same amount you ate before you decided to lose weight? If so, then I wouldn't try to add anything else. If you make sure you're eating a bigger breakfast to kick start your metabolism and eating filling meals afterwards, and getting that exercise in, your metabolism shouldn't slow down. Get all 3 meals in and include snacks when needed and I would think you'll be just fine :) (but I'm by no means an expert!)
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm really not sure what the right answer is. All I can tell you is that at the beginning I used to have less than the 1200 calories I'm supposed to have, and lost weight. (In fact I was under the impression that if I ate anymore I was gaining weight--however it might have been solely due to the time of day in which I ate the food) Lately I've been having closer to the 1200 calories I'm supposed to have, and I still lose weight. (Approximately 1 lb. a week on average)
    So I would vote for taking advantage of the fact that you're not hungry, and see how much you can lose thanks to that, for a while. I would play it by ear. Just watch yourself closely, but take weekly averages, don't be alarmed by daily differences.
    Nonetheless, try to do other useful things, such as having several snacks in the day, drinking eight glasses of water a day, make sure your sodium is not too high, etc. etc.
  • missgetinshape
    Options
    PS. Do NOT starve yourself.... but the less calories you eat vs. the calories you burn, the faster you'll lose weight!! So I'd feel good about eating around 1,900 - 2,000! Plus, as you lose weight, the less calories will need so you'll get down to there anyway :)
  • cindysharp1
    Options
    I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks! It has been my experience that you don't have to eat all the calories you are given for the day. If you are feeling satisfied and not hungry and are eating less carbs. and more protein I think you will be fine and happy with the results. On the day's I exercise I don't add those calories back in I figure that the calories I burn are just extra calories that go toward my goal of losing weight. Sounds like you are off to a great start keep up the good work. I think you will be happy with the results. I know I have. Feel free to add me as a friend. It is very motivating to see what your friends are up to. Good Luck !!