any working moms out there finding the time to exercise? tel

missgetinshape
missgetinshape Posts: 6
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone. I have a 3 year old boy and a nearly 3 month old little girl. I work part time as an admin assistant 2 or 3 days a week, plus I work from home doing medical transcription about 4 hours a day. Baby girl still wakes up every 2 to 3 hours at night and they both keep me on my toes all day. My 3 year old recently stopped taking naps and he will not play in his room by himself. He wants to be attached to me all day long. I'm having trouble finding time to do the 30 Day Shred - 20 min, even just 10 min on my treadmill! I'm so exhausted from lack of sleep, getting up early to go to work and spending hours in traffic that I haven't been able to wake up early or exercise late in the evenings. Any other moms out there going through this and how you deal with it?? I need all the advice/help I can get!!

Replies

• dsolgot
    dsolgot Posts: 86 Member
    I'd love advice I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old and I stay at home it is so hard for me I am always tired for awhile I was able to get in a workout when the baby was napping but for some reason it's like neither of them give me a break these days. I hoping it becomes a lot easier when my husband gets home but I doubt that.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Oh my goodness.. I can totally sympathize with you. I only have 1, he's 7 now and I still struggle to balance everything and fit everything in. Kudos to you, that you're doing it, sooo not easy I know. Especially when it's easier to just go to sleep, eat a brownie, etc. I would try to fit in little bursts of activity wherever you can. Maybe in the 5 min that the little one is sleeping and the older one is occupied? Nothing formal.. running in place, jumping jacks, running up and down a staircase if you have it.

Is there anyone that can watch them for 20 min while you take a walk around the block a few times? Maybe a neighbor or nearby relative or friend?

Sorry I can't offer better advice.. hang in there though, it will get a little easier!
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    I am a HUGE morning fan of working out. I work out before hubby and my nine month old daughter wakes up. I work out at 4:30am for 45 min 5-6 days a week.

Good luck!

Laura
  • jazzy1129
    jazzy1129 Posts: 39 Member
    I am in nursing school full time, and have a 6 year old and 3 year old at home. I very rarely have any spare time between studying and trying to be there for the kids. I get up most mornings around 4 am and dont get to be till 11 or 12 on some nights, just depends on whats going on. Within the last couple of weeks, I have started doing Zumba on the wii. I tried for a while to do it as soon as my kids went to sleep, but I realized theres no reason they cant do it too. So I let them join in if they want to. I realize with the baby, thats gonna be tougher on you but maybe you could find something your oldest would want to pretend to do with you. Thats all I got for ya, sorry. :-) I know its not much help.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    I am so with you!!!! I work 1/2 time at a mental health clinic, I teach a psychology course, and I do private practise. My husband works shift work, so I do my private practise around his schedule so that the kids don't need to be in care. Often this means working until 2 or 3 in the morning (so I can do it without kids at my side). My youngest still doesn't sleep through the night so that adds to my sleep deprivation! I don't work out alot to be honest. I try hard to "work out" with my kids by dancing, doing fitness routines with them, skating tobagonning ect. I don't track any of that though. When I am well rested, I do the 30 day shred in the morning before work (get up at 5:30 am to do this). When I need the sleep more than I need the exercise I go for a run during my lunch hour at work. If I can't get a full hour break (fairly typical when dealing with suicidal clients), I take short walking breaks a few times per day. I watch 2 hours of TV per week (grey's anatomy and crimminal minds) and I lift free weights while I watch. I try to keep a very close eye on my foods.
  • LG30
    LG30 Posts: 72
    I feel you on the time issues. I have a 3 year old, and a soon to be 11 month old. I work out mostly on my lunch hours, or when the boys are napping. My three year old also does not like to take naps anymore, so when my baby is asleep I will put on one of his fav shows, or movies and get a good workout then. And there also have been times when I have put the playpen up in the room where our treadmill is, and will get in at least 15-20 minutes on that while my baby is busy with toys. I hope these help, and best of luck to you! :D
  • nelsonab
    nelsonab Posts: 34 Member
    I am a Mom of 4 who just really commited to my workout program last week. I'm going at 4:00 a.m. before everyone gets up. My kids are 17, 13, 5, and 22 months. I get in by 5:15 just as my little guy is getting up. It makes for a long day, but what I point out to people is when else would I go. The evenings are way too busy. I was walking at lunch with a co-worker but not getting a really good burn. It's not fun, but it goes to how bad do you want it.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    I have a 3 year old and my youngest just turned 2. You certainly have it harder than I do, as both my girls sleep through the night. I work 40 hours a week. Tuesday through Saturday 330pm to midnight. I go to the gym at my work Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays two hours before work unless it is nice enough outside then those days I am outside running. I am doing the couch to 5k program (c25k). It takes about a half hour three days a week. This week I started doing a half hour of strength training on those days too. On Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays I do either the 30 day shred or one of my pilates dvds and potentially go for a run or walk depending on how I feel. Monday is my rest day. I do not stick to this schedule every week but it generally works for me. My husband will watch the kids for me to be able to do my run and I do my strength training at home unless it is a day I go to the gym. I usually do my workout dvd while the girls are napping or after they have gone to bed. I find my 3 year old loves to do the dvds with me.

At first I had zero energy to workout. I find now that working out makes me have more energy. Your situation is a different where you do not get to sleep through the night. But even if you are only getting 20 minutes a day that is better than nothing! Depending on your area you may want to consider a double jogging stroller so you can get outside.

Keep up the hard work! I hope this helps.

Jennifer
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    I know what you're going through. I have 4 children (Boys 9, 6, & 4) (Girl 2 1/2). Most times I'm working out while they are eating dinner & then bathing, but rarely is it ever uninterrupted. I will probably start getting up at 4am again if I want that to happen. Even the little stuff is positive. With a newborn & toddler I know it's hard. Maybe get your toddler to do squats, jumping jacks, etc... with you. May wear him out enough to get him to take a nap lol Good luck to you. You will find what works best for you.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    One more thing I forgot..Exercise TV (On Demand from the cable company). I don't know if your cable company offers if but mine does and it's a lifesaver for those days I just can't get to the gym!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    I'm an elementary school teacher and have a 7 and an 8 year old. I wake up at 4a,m to get my workout in without "help". I'm doing P90X, soon Turbo Fire, and those workouts take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I've tried exercising in the afternoon but there isn't a lot of time, and the kids want to talk or try to help. It's a sacrifice, as far as, spending time with my husband in the evening because I have to go to bed so early. If I stay up past 9:30, waking up in the morning is really hard. Also, if I exercise too late in the evening it harder to fall asleep.
    I totally understand your dilemma. It's hard to exercise with your children underfoot. What's worked for me is just to exercise when I wan to. If I'm tired and want to sleep in, that's okay. It just means that the kids will likely be with me in the afternoon. I've had to leave work a lot earlier than I prefer just to get in my workout. I hope this has been helpful and good luck to you.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    I work full time and have a 3 1/2 year old. I'm totally not a morning person so there is no way I could ever get my butt out of bed at 4:00 a.m. to exercise before work! I do it after dinner usually during the week....sometime between 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. while my little dear is watching a show. On weekends it depends....I sometimes try to fit it in when she's taking a nap. Otherwise, it's the same evening routine. (I use a recumbent exercise bike by the way, so I'm still able to be in the same room with her while she's watching TV).
  • j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    Have you thought about getting a Yoga Ball to sit on at work? What about standing up and walking in place if you're on one of those endless irritating phone calls? And during your drive to work, put on some great music & dance in your seat!! get funky! chances are, no one near you knows you or even cares!!

I am not a morning person & could never motivate myself to be up earlier than I have to be, but don't forget, you can "sneak" exercise into your day by doing squats while your cooking supper, or lay down and "bench press" your little ones. My kids LOVE it when I lift them into the air ! Good luck! I feel your pain!
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Been there, done that. Here are my ideas...

Get a double stroller - put both kids in it and go walking.

Become a bedtime nazi (with your 3 year old, anyway. Not so easy yet with your little one). We have a strict 7:30 bedtime and because we've stuck with it since our girls (now 6 and 3) were little, it's normal for them now.

Get up early to exercise. That will be easier when your little one is sleeping through the night. I am NOT an early riser but I have personally found its the ONLY time I can exercise. So I do it.

Ask for some help - from your husband/partner, family, friends... anyone responsible adult who can give you 30 minutes to yourself on a regular basis.

Best of luck. It is HARD but you can do it.
  • SiouxPrincess
    SiouxPrincess Posts: 35 Member
    I have 2 children and stay at home, I wish that I had started this sooner but I realized that I would have had the same problem as you, my kids are 14, almost 4 & 2. By time time my husband leaves for work at 6:30, my son for school at 7am, my two little ones are up and ready to go. As they are eating breakfast I do Zumba for 45minutes. There are times that I have to pause the DVD but they are few. Then we drive to the park and walk for 45 minutes. They get to burn off their energy & I get some much needed exercise.

What I think would help you the most is getting some help from a family member or friend, even for 30min. Even taking them with ou for a walk is great exercise too. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.