Desperately Seeking...Advice on Stretching

Options
Nonibug
Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
Ok I just joined here today and I have to say I have been reading threads like an addict:indifferent: soaking up all the info I can get!:wink: One thing I keep seeing over and over is STRETCHING! I am guilty on knowing absolutely nothing about that. I have been working out for 5 weeks now, and I "go though the motions" of stretching, but I really dont know what Im doing or even better, WHY Im doing it? So, I know Im not doing it correctly. I think I finally get it thats its very important, but how do I find out what stretches to do and how to do them correctly? Is there a DVD or any information anyone can give me about this? Thanks!
~Roni

Replies

• Nonibug
    Options
    Ok I just joined here today and I have to say I have been reading threads like an addict:indifferent: soaking up all the info I can get!:wink: One thing I keep seeing over and over is STRETCHING! I am guilty on knowing absolutely nothing about that. I have been working out for 5 weeks now, and I "go though the motions" of stretching, but I really dont know what Im doing or even better, WHY Im doing it? So, I know Im not doing it correctly. I think I finally get it thats its very important, but how do I find out what stretches to do and how to do them correctly? Is there a DVD or any information anyone can give me about this? Thanks!
    ~Roni
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_4.html

go to how to stretch and hopefully that will help you out. I will try to find more info for you.
    -renee
  • carak2000
    Options
    Hi Roni,

It's great that you asked this because stretching is really important and, personally, one of my favorite things to do :).

I don't have very specific suggestions for you; however, I would recommend Googling around a bit and you may find some good articles about stretching in general and specific stretches to do based on the type of exercise you do or where your body aches.

Also, do you belong to a gym? A lot of gyms offer some sort of stretch class. If not, you may want to try a Hatha Yoga class, which is mostly stretching. That would give you an idea of how your body should feel when you stretch. You may also want to have a consult with a personal trainer about stretching.

I'm sure there are DVDs or other things you could download regarding stretching, I just don't know any off the top of my head. Sorry for not being more helpful, but I hope this little it helps!

~Cara
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    google stretching and you will find a million hits.

I have been doing this for 4 months and JUST found out how to really stretch from my physical therapist.
    breath, hold for 30 seconds, do not bounce. she told me to feel the muscle...think about it and you will know if your stretching.

good luck!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Nonibug
    This is a great one for you. It is in viedo and shows each stretch.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043&slide=1
  • MidgetOnAMission
    Options
    THANK YOU! I feel the same way. I need to stretch really bad but never do just b/c don't know what's the effective way to do it.

Nonibug...love the Mayo Clinic site you mentioned. Thanks.

Happy Stretching. :happy:
  • normal1
    Options
    Just a word of caution, if you have any back, nerve or muscle problems, I would suggest talking to your doctor or better yet a physical therapist before starting a stretching routine. I would be crippled if not for stretching. It's a pain, it hurts, but in my case it is absolutely necessary. One of my favorite things to do is a DVD; Walk away the pounds. It is a 15 min walk in place (1 mile) with additional movements to help with range of motion and cardio. At the end is a cool down and stretch. I use it sometimes just by itself or before I move on to other routines.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just a word of caution, if you have any back, nerve or muscle problems, I would suggest talking to your doctor or better yet a physical therapist before starting a stretching routine. I would be crippled if not for stretching. It's a pain, it hurts, but in my case it is absolutely necessary. One of my favorite things to do is a DVD; Walk away the pounds. It is a 15 min walk in place (1 mile) with additional movements to help with range of motion and cardio. At the end is a cool down and stretch. I use it sometimes just by itself or before I move on to other routines.

My mom does that video, but her's is a three mile walk in 45 mins. She :heart: it!!
  • normal1
    Options
    I believe that is part two! I'm working up to that. It may not sound like much but after back surgery and gaining a few (ha) too many pounds, it's enough.
  • Nonibug
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the advice! Im beginning to see the importance of stretching and although it seems like there are 100's of stretches out there, Im sure with a little research and trial and error I will find the right ones:smile:

Oh! One more question on this...Would it be a good idea to do a short DVD on stretching before or after (or both) walking and working out? Or should I just find certain stretches that are specifically related to what Im doing (walking, for example)?

Thanks again!
    ~Roni
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I am horrible about NOT stretching. I've started getting better, but I never stretch before exercising. I can't seem to see the point.... I never feel anything! But I stretch after exercising (walking or elliptical use). I use yoga stretches as well as some I've picked up from local runners who stretch out in my gym after their runs. I don't stretch for long afterwards, but I have at least started stretching, and making sure I am paying attention to the muscle I'm targeting and actually feeling something stretch in there.:happy: