Tortilla Chip Substitute?

Options
I adore Mexican food - namely green chili, salsa, and guacamole. Often on tortilla chips which are terrible for you and their baked counterparts aren't much better.

Suggestions for good healthy substitutions for my dippers? Especially for green chili...

Replies

• musicjunkie1982
    Options
    Guiltless Gourmet's Baked Unsalted Tortilla Chips are heavenly!

I eat them with salsa and I don't even miss the extra salt.

Good luck! :-)
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Special K has their cracker crisps/chips.... They are like pop chips. 30 for 110 calories I think..
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Snack Factory's pretzel crisps are awesome! They might not be great for that particular craving but I use them with hummus, salsa, any other dip really!

PS- I buy them at Walmart in the deli section by the lunch meat.
  • musicjunkie1982
    Options
    Snack Factory's pretzel crisps are awesome! They might not be great for that particular craving but I use them with hummus, salsa, any other dip really!

PS- I buy them at Walmart in the deli section by the lunch meat.

The Buffalo Wing flavoured ones are dangerous. Very very dangerous. ;-)
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Guiltless Gourmet's Baked Unsalted Tortilla Chips are heavenly!

I eat them with salsa and I don't even miss the extra salt.

Good luck! :-)
    Where do you buy these? I have looked all over for unsalted tortilla chips! :)
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I recently started making Pita chips out of 100% whole grain pita bread. So easy you just cut them into small triangles, pull apart the bread, lightly coat with cooking spray and a dash of salt or if you want to avoid salt you could use spices instead. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake until they're crispy. If you're just making a few you could pop them in the toaster oven. They taste delicious with hummus, but I'm sure you could load them up with salsa and other Mexican fare and they'd be great!
  • musicjunkie1982
    Options
    I buy them at Whole Foods along with their organic salsa and hummus.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Mama Lupe's low carb tortillas are really great, I cut them up with a pizza cutter into bite/chip sized pieces, add the spices I want in moderation and bake them in the oven. Make your own tortilla chips, its cheaperm super easy and you control your favorite snack! :)
  • jennrn06
    jennrn06 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut Flat Out wraps into chips and bake them. If you're looking for flavor of tortilla chips, these won't cut it, but otherwise I love them with salsa. I can cut about 16 or so "chips" out of one 90 calorie Flat Out. :)
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I buy them at Whole Foods along with their organic salsa and hummus.
    Thank-you!
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use sugar snap peas or bell peppers to dip in guacamole or those Laughing Cow Cheese things instead of chips..its pretty yummy!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Chips. Yum.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Bump.....always looking for something healthy to complete my guac!
  • bsundgren
    bsundgren Posts: 11
    Options
    Special K has their cracker crisps/chips.... They are like pop chips. 30 for 110 calories I think..

These cracker crisps are actually pretty good and not calorie-intensive. There are several different flavors, too.

Also, multigrain Food Should Taste Good chips (and the jalepeno ones are good, too), although they're not much better on the calorie front. 9 chips for about 140 cals. But tasty!
  • kateistoned
    kateistoned Posts: 116
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the feedback!
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chip substitute.... Tortilla chips! Yep, I take 3 La Favorita corn tortillas, cut them up into triangles, spray with olive oil pam and put under the broiler on high. Watch them closely as they will go from done to burnt quickly. Broil on the other side and ta-da... delicious!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Make your own chips. We get corn tortillas, spritz them with olive oil and bake them in the oven. Taste the same as the store bought and don't have half the crap in them.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I need this answer too. adding to my topics
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love dipping the Special K crackers (17 crackers, 90 calories and go further than you think!) especially in cream cheese (light/whipped) and jalapeno jelly!

I love the idea of making your own chips with pita bread and tortillas! If you can't bake your own you can buy tostadas (flat hard-shell tortillas) but they are 90 calories each. If you put some lettuce and hot sauce on them it makes a nice <100 calorie snack.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Won Ton wrappers. Cut them into triangles. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam, toss on the wantons, spray again with Pam. Cook at 350 for around 8 minutes. Lot less calories