Net Calorie Question - Repost

Options
Hello Everyone!

I've been on MFP for over a month now, and I've had some great results! I still have a long way to go, but I am still committed and making progress every day!

I have a question about my daily calorie goal. I currently have a goal of losing 2 lbs. per week, which puts me at a net calorie goal of 1400 per day. I usually meet the requirement of that goal within 50-100 calories under or over. I guess I am concerned that I might be consuming too little calories in a day. I've already lost about 20 lbs doing this regiment, and I am still a few pounds away from being out of the 'obese' range for my BMI. My goal was to stick to this plan until I have a BMI lower than 30 and then up my caloric intake to where my goal was to lose a 1 pound per week. I guess I am wondering if I should go ahead and up my caloric intake right now to prevent any risk of my body going into starvation mode. I'm currently 189.5 lbs. and 5' 6".

I would appreciate any advice or comments from anyone. Here's to being healthy!

Thomas

Replies

• Twanna69
    Twanna69 Posts: 8
    Options
    Well i have no idea I just dont get the whole thing with the calorie. I went to vitamin world and was talking to one of the advisors regarding burning calories and then eating back. They had never heard that nor a carb intake of over 46 a day. So I am not as lucky as you are to lose weight. But I am still very confused. Sorry I could not help.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Do you have energy or are you dragging? Are you still losing consistently? Are you eating a good healthy variety of foods that give you all the nutrition you need? Men can usually lose faster than women, and 1-2 pounds per week sounds reasonable. I think if MFP set you at 1400 per day (presumably 1000 calories under BMR plus normal life activities), you should definitely make sure you eat your exercise calories so you don't run an even bigger deficit. But if you would be equally happy losing a pound per week, then go ahead and reset your goals - that would still be a reasonable consistent weight loss. Slow and steady is good when it comes to weight loss. Then you don't have to worry. Or maybe compromise - how about 1.5 pounds per week?
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    I actually set my calorie goal myself. (I think MFP tends to be a little cushy since there's probably a ton of liability if anyone ever became malnourished or sick) I find my BMR, basal metabolic rate, essentially how many calories you'd burn being a vegetable all day (You can google BMR and it'll take you to a site to figure it out) Then, a 3200 calorie deficit is one pound lost, so you'd want a 6400 calorie deficit per week (6400/7) which is a 915 calorie deficit a day. Your BMR minus 915 should be your intake goal. [:

Other than that I try to eat high fiber, low fat foods and it's worked really well for me so far. Good luck, friend!
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Do you have energy or are you dragging? Are you still losing consistently? Are you eating a good healthy variety of foods that give you all the nutrition you need? Men can usually lose faster than women, and 1-2 pounds per week sounds reasonable. I think if MFP set you at 1400 per day (presumably 1000 calories under BMR plus normal life activities), you should definitely make sure you eat your exercise calories so you don't run an even bigger deficit. But if you would be equally happy losing a pound per week, then go ahead and reset your goals - that would still be a reasonable consistent weight loss. Slow and steady is good when it comes to weight loss. Then you don't have to worry. Or maybe compromise - how about 1.5 pounds per week?

As far as I can tell, I have a good amount of energy during the day. Mornings are usually tough, but once I eat something, then I am good to go for the day! I have still been losing consistently - my weight loss may have slowed up a little bit, but overall, not that much. I'm getting plenty of water during the day and my nutrition has been relatively good. I try to keep my sodium under 2000mg a day, and I try to get a mix of protein, fiber, lean fats, whole grains, 1-2 fruits a day, and many veggies. I always try to go over on my protein and fiber each day so that I do not have as many cravings throughout the day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    To the OP - if you are feeling full of energy, eating your net cals every day and losing weight steadily (not too fast or slow) then you could probably keep going for a bit longer.
    If you are wondering, why not commit to changing for a period of time - say 3 - 4 weeks and see how it works out for you. I think part of this journey has to be about long term healthy eating patterns and maybe this is a good time to start working towards that.
    Well i have no idea I just dont get the whole thing with the calorie. I went to vitamin world and was talking to one of the advisors regarding burning calories and then eating back. They had never heard that nor a carb intake of over 46 a day. So I am not as lucky as you are to lose weight. But I am still very confused. Sorry I could not help.

To the next poster - the advisor at Vitamin World probably doesn't know that MFP gives you a calorie deficit before you add exercise. So, even if you eat all your exercise calories you STILL have a calorie deficit and if you have all your numbers right should lose weight. In my opinion, it's probably better to pick one regime and stick with it accurately for a while before mixing it up with advice from somewhere else.
  • MissPiggy0718
    Options
    So I was eating 1250 cals for I think a period of 2 weeks& only because. That's what mfp had gave me when I signed up&I spoke to my friend about me not loosing enough weight only 1 lb. A week which is good considering I've lost almost 50 lbs so far but u would think I would have lost way more with the low cal intake but no because my bmi is 1474 I was told to never go below that because that's what your body burns daily without working out so whatever u do don't go below your bmi...so times your weight by 10 & that's your bmi from what im understanding u might gain a lb. Or so initially but give your body time to adjust to the new cal intake......I haven't weighed in for like 2 weeks cuz I don't wanna freak out with the new intake so in about a week ill weigh in& let u know how its working out for ...remember whatever u do just don't let your body starve with too low of calories