EDAMAME

Options
Have you ever eaten this? I am experimenting with new foods and this one has piqued my curiosity. I bought a bag of frozen edamame, but am unsure how to best eat this food. If you've tried it, do you have any suggestions on how to eat it?

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love edamame. I have had it steamed...yum. I have also had it fried, but it probably wasn't so healthy. It is yummy though.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love edamame. I have had it steamed...yum. I have also had it fried, but it probably wasn't so healthy. It is yummy though.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    I've had it steamed. I liked it!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Ok. Steaming it is then. I love steamed veggies. I am addicted to the Ziploc Zip and Steam bags. This gives me an excuse to use them. :smile:
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it turned out! I've got some in the freezer too....waiting on me to get the nerve to try something new. :)
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It's delicious. I like to crack some sea salt on the shells to give it flavor. Here's how to eat: You put the shell in your mouth while holding it, and squeeze the little beans out. YUMMY!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I could live on edamame!
    I buy the in-shell stuff and usually just boil it, then take the beans out of the pods and put them in a little low sodium soy sauce and eat with chopsticks. Amazing.

I also love how it's kind of ritualistic...I love that with food for some reason.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hottamolly00 has the right idea of it. Edamame is my favorite snack! Boil it till one or two of the bean pods barely start splitting open then take them out and sprinkle a touch of seasalt over them. Eat them out of the pods and toss the pods. Sooo tasty!
  • shereemor
    Options
    But, I don't think you eat the stuff on the outside. Just put it in your mouth and suck out the beans on the inside. Hope that helps....
  • asallen7
    Options
    It's delicious. I like to crack some sea salt on the shells to give it flavor. Here's how to eat: You put the shell in your mouth while holding it, and squeeze the little beans out. YUMMY!

That is helpful! I had no idea. I would have just chomped away. lol
  • asallen7
    Options
    Let me know how it turned out! I've got some in the freezer too....waiting on me to get the nerve to try something new. :)

I will. I'm definitely going to try it tomorrow. I need to get back focused on eating healthy. The past few days have been rather crappy.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Steam it with some sea salt sprinkled on the shells. It will soak through just enough to give you some flavor. There is a recipe on food network to steam it with chili powder. I haven't tried this yet, but it is on the list. Steam them up, pop them outta the shells, and enjoy!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I love edamame, I buy the shelled beans and allow them to defrost and then toss with chopped red onion, chopped flat parsley, thinly sliced radishes, rice wine vinegar and a big pinch of salt. This salad will keep in the fridge (and improve) for several days.
  • cucoyannie
    Options
    I dont do well with home prep edamame but if you try them at an asian restaurant they are great! just dont eat the ouside skin please! just the grain inside. you can dip it in soy souce
    i always have them as appetizer because they fill u.
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    I love the bean. I defrost/steam and add to a nice salad ... yummi.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I buy the shelled frozen ones and usually heat them in a nonstick pan with a little bit of water or some teriyaki sauce. I love them in stir fries, or even on top of salads. :)

Also, once when I was out of town and staying in a hotel room with a microwave and a couple of burners, I added them to my instant ramen noodles (sans salty sauce packet) for a quick meal.
  • heididormanen
    Options
    I buy the frozen shelled ones and I turn it into hummas in the food processor with some sea salt and olive oil.. it is awesome!!