Healthier Eating.. Where to start?

Options
Erindipitous
Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
I overheard someone talking about her food lifestyle change the other day and she was talking about her breakfast being overnight oats.. Made with Chia seed, almond milk, and fruits. It intrigued me.

I decided that I need to begin to kick the processed crap out of my diet (or at least cut back). I'm interested in eating healthier and incorporating things like Greek yogurt, Chia seed, quinoa, etc. However, I don't want to go to the lengths of Vegan or something super strict and limiting. (Although a meal fitting that description once in awhile is perfectly acceptable.. I just wouldn't be able to stick with it for extended periods of time)

I look at some diaries and I see all of these natural, whole foods spread throughout their days --And I'm jealous. I'd like to end my day thinking, "I nourished my body today, it was delicious, and I feel great!" rather than, "I am so embarrassed of my food diary.. I'll never make it public.."

I'm super pressed for time with school and work, but I would love to start transforming my diet so I'm getting the most out of my 1200 calories.

I may sound stupid for asking, but this is fairly new to me: ..Where do I begin?

Would anyone be willing to recommend recipe books or blogs that also have nutritional information? Guidelines? Websites? Magazines? Personal advice? Anyone have public diaries that would serve as an example of what I am trying to achieve?

I thank you very much in advance for any information you are able to supply! :)

Replies

• daphne_gets_fit
    daphne_gets_fit Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shelty64
    Shelty64 Posts: 18
    Options
    It takes planning to eat healthy! Pick a free day, like Sunday and spend a few hours getting your meals together for the week.

You can make oatmeal ahead of time and pre-measure it cooked into containers to take on the run. Add all of your toppings and measure them also. Write on the outside of container your exact calories (if you're still tracking them).

OR Make a GIANT salad with all the fixin's and do the same thing. Measure it out into ready-to-serve portions that you can take with you. Make brown rice spaghetti and do the same thing.

That's how I manage my lunches when I'm at work. I plan ahead. Because, when you aren't organized, you will be more likely to go to the vending machine, or eat at somewhere fast, like McDonalds.

You can freeze meals also in containers to take on the run. Pack your lunch and snacks the night before and have it ready to go in the morning. Also, plan your dinner for the next night by thawing out meat in the fridge, so you aren't stuck empty handed when you get home from work.
    Hope this helps.
  • sgaidosh
    sgaidosh Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live....but grocery stores like New Seasons, Whole Foods, etc....usually have nutritionists that can work with you for free to give you a store tour and tell you about some of the products and how to incorporate them into diet.
    Good luck!
  • Shelty64
    Shelty64 Posts: 18
    Options
    Also, check out hungrygirl.com. She has show on TV, but her website remakes all of our favorite recipes into healthier versions. I find this site really helpful. Good luck!
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and try to eat as little "processed" as possible. Feel free to add me as a friend, but my best advice is to start with small changes - say overhauling so you have a healthy breakfast every day. Once that is under control, look to your next meal or snack and try to come up with options slowly so that it is a gradual change, that way you are more likely to stick to it.
  • jazzybean1
    jazzybean1 Posts: 113
    Options
    Hey there!
    Hope some of the following is helpful...
    Quinoa The Everyday Superfood 365 by Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming is a great recipe book. I have made some of the muffins and quiches out of it and all are good, the only thing is...whenever any muffin recipe calls for oil, I use the same amount of unsweetened applesauce instead, gives you the moisture w/o the added fat.
    In place of brown sugar we use br sugar splenda and white sugar-splenda.
    If you want to cut sugars in coffee & teas, stevia /truvia are the most natural with no chemical crap in them.
    I buy red river hot cereal and cook up enough servings to last me for the week and just keep it in the fridge. You can add cinnamon, berries, apples...we do that plus cook plain white quinoa on its own, then add it to the hot cereal for the added nutritional benefits.
    Coconut oil is the only oil that retains its health benefits when heated, unlike olive oils which should only be eaten cold. Great for prawn stirfrys...
    Protein pancakes: egg whites & natures path instant organic oatmeal...blend together till extremely runny, the thinner the batter the better, cook in small amount of coconut oil. Serve w/raspberries & Organic maple syrup, Usually only use half a pack of oatmeal at once, if they are too thick add more egg whites to make them crepe like.
    Well, feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I have tons of recipes if you'd like any:)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!

Great tips! The recipe book sounds great, I'll be sure to check into that. I live in the Baltimore area.. I know of a Whole Foods; I have never been there, but I am really excited to hear they have nutritionists. :)

I love how supportive this website is!