Eating before bed...

Options
hey guys, I have a problem with eating before bed. I always have a weight watchers original bagel and an apple. Is this bad because I think it is and vie been staying up really late to make sure the food is digested and that it wouldn't be stored as fat while I slurp. Can someone give me some advice on eating before bed?? Thanks!!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its a myth. it doesnt matter when you eat. your body is always working and always burning calories even when you sleep. plus calories are cummulative, so as long as you stay under your calorie goal you'll be fine.

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/06/23/eating-before-bed/
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I never worry about the time when I eat. All I worry about are the calories i am consuming and making sure they are not all empty calories :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    If you aren't going over your cals for the day, I wouldn't worry about it. :)
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    its a myth. it doesnt matter when you eat. your body is always working and always burning calories even when you sleep. plus calories are cummulative, so as long as you stay under your calorie goal you'll be fine.

I am of the school of thougth that you shouldn't eat a few hours before bed and no carbs after 5pm. But I have been wrong before. It just works for me.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always have something before bed as I can't go to bed hungry. I'll usually have a yogurt or a fiber one bar.
  • VeronicaFay
    Options
    My life is hectic and I often don't make dinner until 8 or after. Tonight we ate at... I'm ashamed to say... 10:45pm. Even if it won't hinder weight loss, I have found that what I eat makes a difference on how well I sleep, i.e. staying up with heartburn, etc. That's all I would worry about, really.

Guess a bacon cheeseburger and fries are a bad idea, huh? =P
  • Valorin
    Valorin Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't eat before bed simply because if I sleep on food, then I'll wake up and have to use the bathroom and it interrupts my sleep lol. However, from the things that I have read, it doesn't matter when you eat, your body will still burn those calories regardless. The human body doesn't shut down when it sleeps so you have nothing to worry about.
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Unless you have things like heartburn or indigestion, you shouldnt eat before you go to bed. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise as long as you stay within your nutrition goals.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It don't think it matters as long as you are under your calories. I have a few mfp friends that have lost a great amount of weight and they said they don't have a cut off time for eating.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I have actually found it beneficial to eat something before I go to bed, I try to make sure it includes some protein. I wake up more easily than if I have an all carb snack or no snack at all.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If I stay up too late and get hungry again (read: TONIGHT) and I have some calories left, I make a simple egg with salsa or something similar that's high in protein or fiber and eat it slowly, savoring every bite. I do this pretty often, and I've had no issues so far with weight loss. I do try to avoid anything too sugary, though, as it would make me restless.

I prefer to eat several small meals throughout the day, so I rarely let myself get to the point where I'm ravenous. If it was bingeing at night, then I would be more wary of doing it.

You know your body better than anyone - if you have digestive issues with eating then laying down shortly afterward, then don't do it!