how to cook for your kids and still eat right?

Options
Any parents out there have any advice on how to make a healthy meal for both yourself and your children? I feel like i am always giving them chicken with a side a vegetables. Any suggestions?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    become vegetarians
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nice, well thought out response there.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    pita pizzas, fish and vegies, stir-frys.

GG
  • laur62679
    Options
    I thought the same thing. My kids are 6 and 18 months. that is not an option.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My dad didn't understand my vegetarianism whatsoever--I made that choice at age 5--so I was fed a lot of crap as a kid, along with horrible last-ditch efforts (i.e. sitting a block of plain, cold silken tofu in front of me and handing me a fork). It's quite possible to be an unhealthy vegetarian, and it's just as possible to be a healthy omnivore.
  • godsgiftjcp
    Options
    Instead of making french fries with regular potatoes, use sweet potatoes, make over fried chicken strips, make healthy wraps, its so many things you can do. You just have to try different foods and see what works
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    You could begin by making veggie versions of their favorite recipes. OR, you can just take it 1 day at a time... perhaps one or two nights a week meat-free. There's plenty of healthy foods out there and many sources to help you out.

Wholefoods.com is a wonderful site! Lots of healthy recipes and good nutritional information on there to help you make good choices. There's a lot of support on that site as well.

Vegweb.com is also a great site for healthy recipes.
    Allrecipes.com - TONS of fantastic healthy options here too.
    nomeatathlete.com is also awesome for healthy recipes, health tips and much more.

best of luck! your kids will thank you one day. =)
  • iamnox
    iamnox Posts: 39
    Options
    I am one of those people that believe we did not climb to the top of the food chain to eat the bottom.

I try to make things fun. For broccoli we pretend we are gaints and are eating trees. I try to steam that with water infused with sea salt. Not to much but enough to give you a flavor. I also got my son to eat spinach pasta but telling him it was Hulk Pasta and would make him strong. A little trick here and there works for me. They are young so i can get away with that.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I just make what I eat. I want my weightloss journey to be one of a lifetime, not a "diet" per say, so my family is eating the very same things I am. I am in charge of meals, and I am the one serving it. I got some great recipes under the "recipe" tab here!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depends on how you're looking at it... are you cooking something for your kids and something "healthy" for yourself? If that's the case, just watch it. Kids like to eat what mom / dad are eating, and for them to be given "whatever" while you eat healthy...
    What you're eating that is healthy and well rounded should be decent enough to give to your kids, it may take a few times to get them to like it, we're learning to like spaghetti squash here in place of the pasta (50 calories for a plate-ful instead of 300) and similar choices.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out all the kid friendly stuff, or make it boring. You can take most recipes and change a few ingredients to make them healthier - use a different meat, use whole wheat grains, lower the sodium, etc. And it doesn't always have to be chicken. Many pork cuts are actually very lean and don't have too much sodium (country ribs, tenderloin, etc). And there's really no need to banish beef, IMO. As long as you stick with leaner cuts or extra lean hamburger, it's perfectly fine occasionally.

Also, try getting a kid-friendly cookbook. They have great ideas for disguising some of the healthy stuff if your kids aren't that into it yet. Not all of the recipes will be ideal, but can give you some ideas.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Here's a kid-friendly meal that we enjoy every Monday: macaroni and cheese (Annie's brand) and edamame. The kids will like popping the beans out of the pods. :)
  • laur62679
    Options
    Thanks for help. I will be sure to give them a try.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    oh yeah, and we have a try it once rule here. you MUST try everything, chew swallow and a second fork full. if after that you do not like it, thats one thing, but you can usually tell if they are bluffing by how quickly they take the second fork full ;P
  • ssassy428
    ssassy428 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I substitute ground turkey or chicken for most things and turkey burgers are amazing.
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    On a side note, my diary is public in case you're looking for inspiration or ideas!
    I'm a vegetarian, and eat a well balanced diet of whole grains, proteins (tofu, beans, legumes, seeds, nuts, edamame, etc..) and alternative milks such as hemp milk, almond, soy and even coconut.

I have fun with food! My favorite go-to meal is stir-fry. I've posted a "how to" on my blog for making no-fail stir-fry dishes. Of course, you can always add any meat or seafood here if you choose to.

http://thedeviantvegetarian.blogspot.com/2011/03/making-healthy-stir-fry-dinner.html
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't mind cooking a frozen pizza occasionally for my daughter while I reheat leftover chicken for myself. however I don't have the recipe.right here but fish (salmon) in tin foil with veggies and baby red potatoes with fresh herbs, not much prep, and all good.stuff. Everything goes in the tin foil pack, cinched up and then in the oven. Gah why'd I leave my recipes in storage?
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My kids love a juicy, tender pork loin with rice and broccoli on the side. We also enjoy soft tacos together, which include greens, tomato and avocado. They're not fans of my whole wheat tortillas, so I just give them regular tortillas. My kids also like halibut, which is a great healthy option.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky cuz' my 5 yr old has always been willing to try just about anything I make. I use a lot of venison which is very lean....last night I made venison meatballs with sweet potatoes pureed inside of them over whole wheat noodles in a light cream of mushroom soup sauce. She loved it so much she ate the leftovers tonite for supper. You gotta get crafty...no one likes to eat the same thing all the time! Here are some more ideas: Tuna Burgers
    Morningstar veggie burgers with cheese
    Whole grain pancakes with fruit (breakfast for supper always a hit)
    Omelets
    Pork loin with carrots and baby red potatoes in crocpot..yum (Hormel porkloin has many flavors to chose) Mini meatloaves (I use venison) or quiches in muffin trays...kids love it their size!
    I am a foodie so I experiment ALOT...haven't had many complaints so must be doing something right. Hope some of these give u some ideas!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I don't have kids, but these are a few things I make for my nephews:

Turkey burgers on whole wheat buns and homemade baked french fries or brown rice
    Pita bread pizzas: Whole wheat pita pockets with tomato sauce, mozzarella, veggies, whatever else you like on pizza. You can also use the small pita pockets for individual pizzas
    Whole wheat spaghetti with turkey meatballs
    Chicken soft tacos: Shredded chicken, low fat cheese, lettuce, tomato, homemade guacamole or salsa, with whole wheat tortillas