Need Advice

Options
I have three young kids and frequent pain in my back and shoulder that hinder my progress. Any tips and ideas?

Replies

• deanahall
    Options
    I have three young kids and frequent pain in my back and shoulder that hinder my progress. Any tips and ideas?
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had back problems for years and shoulder pain all last year and a good part of this year on and off.

For me walking is always an option as it doesn't aggravate either problem. If your children are old enough to walk you might try taking walks around your neighborhood otherwise if you need to push them in a stroller this might be more painful for you. Maybe if your children are too small you can get someone to watch them while you walk.

Another thing that I like is going to a gym. When things are most painful I stick to swimming or stationary bike. (Oddly enough I do find that swimming helps my shoulders, even though you would think it would aggravate them but sometimes I know I hurt more when I'm not moving so maybe this is wy the swimming helps.)

Going to a gym is a good way to strengthen your muscles. When your muscles are stronger your body works better and everyday things tend to be less painful. This is especially important for back pain, as stronger abdominal and leg muscles prevent the misuse of back muscles for everyday activities.

Another plus of a gym is that most have a children's area so you don't have to worry about them while you get some activity.

I hope you find something that works for you