Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cycling to work

I cycle the 4 miles to, and from work every day (starting today). And it puts me in a good mood for the entire day, which makes me want to cycle home, rather than just ought to.

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    IM SO JEALOUS OF YOU i wish i could bike to work :[
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Congrats on riding to work! I would love to do the same but can't quite seem to take the step. I live 5.5 miles from work but on a narrow, twisty, fairly busy road (complete with rednecks!) I work in an office environment where I must wear dress slacks, nice shirt, etc and have no shower at work. I want to cycle to work but I haven't figured out how to make it work for me. I'm willing to ride the road, but bad weather and hot weather stop me because of the need to look presentable at work. Hot weather is hard for me; I sweat a lot and using hand wipes and such just seems inadequate. Am I being too wimpy? I'm listening for suggestions or encouragement.
  • I live 5.5 miles from work but on a narrow, twisty, fairly busy road (complete with rednecks!)
    When I still went to school, every thurdsday I'd cycle the 7 miles to get there, have a shower at school and then go to lessons. But yeah - you can only really cycle if your work has a shower.
    Also if you know somebody who live alot closer to your workplace than you do, would they let you use thier shower before walking into work?
    Have you tried asking your employer to purchase a shower, as it would allow workers to cycle to work releasing endorphins, helping them to feel better for the rest of the day.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I live 5.5 miles from work but on a narrow, twisty, fairly busy road (complete with rednecks!)
    When I still went to school, every thurdsday I'd cycle the 7 miles to get there, have a shower at school and then go to lessons. But yeah - you can only really cycle if your work has a shower.
    Also if you know somebody who live alot closer to your workplace than you do, would they let you use thier shower before walking into work?
    Have you tried asking your employer to purchase a shower, as it would allow workers to cycle to work releasing endorphins, helping them to feel better for the rest of the day.

Good ideas but not workable for me. I work in at a small business, five employees total, that is struggling in this economy so installing a shower is not an option. I think I'll just ride to work in moderate weather and otherewise ride before or after work to get some miles in. Cycling is one part of my fitness plan along with trail running and P90X so I'm not dependant on it, I just like the idea of riding to work. Thanks for the suggestions though!